Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change my details in MyO2 as it sends sms to not one of my numbers

AndyT8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I want to update my contact details in MyO2 and I click on my name and up pops a box saying enter the code we have just sent to  xxxxxxxx

However xxxxxxxx is not any one of my O2 numbers.  What is it doing ?   My account has my numbers correctly for my phones but it is not sending it to one of those.  How to I get past this blockage and get it to sms just any one of my registered sims.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @AndyT8, just wanted to check how you're getting on with this - have you made any progress? slight_smile

Cheers everyone for your comments and help @Anonymous, @MI5, @Anonymous, @adamtemp64@jonsie! Nice to see so many members trying to help out. slight_smile

Message 11 of 16

AndyT8
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes you probably have come up with the right reason - it was the original number from one of the four O2 sims that I got in order to port my numbers over (used to be with Sainsbury's till they closed).

I did find some paper records of the original numbers but not one that matches the one O2 insist on sending my confirmation sms to.  

I would have thought that O2 cust services who I rang could have confirmed my identity and then they could have chosen one of the sims/numbers that have been registered with them under my name / account for some years to replace the troublesome old number.

Another suggestion given here was try the O2 app on a smart phone.  So yes I tried that and it still sends confirmations to the unavailable and not owned by me number. 

Last chance would be when I am next in a town with an O2 shop to go in with my passport and driving licence and see if that is enough for someone to correct the number stored and associated with my account.

I don't hold out much hope as I was told it would be sorted by last Friday by next level customer services - but no it is still sending to the old number.

Message 12 of 16

AndyT8
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sadly not so far - when I last checked under a minute ago it was still sending the sms verification to some other number and not one of the five numbers I now have registered with O2.  Yes obtained and put on a new sim to see if that would help.

Message 13 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call customer service and ask them to migrate this other number in or send you a sim card for that number. It would seem to be the only option at the moment. 

Message 14 of 16

AndyT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay finally I gave up trying to get O2 to change the mobile number assigned to MyO2 account to one that I actually had, which I had to do in order to change any of the other details about me on the account (because the OTP is sent to that mobile that no longer exists).

So thinking of another way I set up a new MyO2 with a new temporary email address and an O2 PAYG number I had recently bought in the supermarket.  Then removed my main O2 numbers from the old account and added them one by one to the new account.  Just had to type in the OTP that was sent to each of the numbers as I added them. Did NOT need to be able to read a text sent to that non existant number.

Then when no numbers in my old account contacted customer services and asked them to delete that old account as not used anymore.  A very helpful chap there did just this.  Then I could go into the new account - see all my numbers - change my personal details back to my main email address (now free and not associated with any other account at O2) and finally I have all my numbers in an account that I can alter my personal details when the need arises as the stored mobile number is one I have. Oh yes finally change the mobile number associated with the account security to my main O2 one (simple as I had that new PAYG sim and received the OTP)

What a lot of trouble but now all done.

Message 15 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glad you got it sorted but wouldn't it just be marvellous if someone at O2 could just override the system and enter the correct details?

Message 16 of 16