Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing service

Strudders
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a Hotspot for some time now but about 6 to 7 months ago, maybe longer as my memory is not great, I find that it was not working and would not charge up.

Unfortunately at the time I was unwell and just placed it in the drawer with the intent of contacting O2 when I felt better, obviously I forgot about it and did not realise until about 1 month ago when I spotted the bill and that I had been paying for a service for 6 months or more that I was not using. I did phone my local branch and after some heated discussion I told the male that I did not want the service anymore and that I would be cancelling the Direct Debit and asked that he make a note of this on the account. 
He did state that there may be further payments to be made but he could not justify why I should pay anymore when it was obvious from the bills that there was no activity on the account.

I have recently received an email stating that my account was overdue and that any further non payment would result in additional charges.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Strudders 

I'm afraid if you took out a contract then you have to pay for it. I'm sorry you weren't well but if it stopped working then you should have contacted O2 for a return or replacement at the time. I strongly advise you NOT to cancel your direct debit as this will have a negative impact on your credit rating.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/pocket-hotspot 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Strudders 

I'm afraid if you took out a contract then you have to pay for it. I'm sorry you weren't well but if it stopped working then you should have contacted O2 for a return or replacement at the time. I strongly advise you NOT to cancel your direct debit as this will have a negative impact on your credit rating.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/pocket-hotspot 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

Strudders
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does O2 not have any responsibility under the contract.

It was patently obvious that the account had not been used for a  long period of time despite my payments under the contract being made so should the not have an obligation to try and contact me to establish if there was anything that they could assist with.

Also when I spoke to the local branch I told them that I had been paying for a service that I had not used, no longer wanted  and to mark up my account accordingly which should have given O2 notice that I was terminating my account.

I would not then expect a further bill which included a threat of financial penalties if I  did not continue to pay them for not using the service which some people would consider to be usury

Message 3 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Strudders 

Sorry but it's not O2's responsibility to contact you. In the terms and conditions, it's up to you to contact them if you want to cancel. You are still liable for any monies owing on your contract.

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4