Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account holder name change

DanBoot96
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is there anyway to change the name on the account?

I'm trying to change the name from the mum (who set up the account for me years ago) to my name.

The guidance on the website only refers to people who have legally changed their name.

I've tried calling up before but because I'm not technically the account holder (the whole problem!) its very difficult.

Is there someone I can email or something? Anything!

Any advice would be lovely, thank you!

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@DanBoot96 

The only way is for you to apply for your own contract and if you pass the credit checks, your mum can transfer your number to the new account.

You should do this when out of contract to avoid penalty fees for cancelling as it will close your old account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@DanBoot96 

The only way is for you to apply for your own contract and if you pass the credit checks, your mum can transfer your number to the new account.

You should do this when out of contract to avoid penalty fees for cancelling as it will close your old account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

DanBoot96
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah okay, that makes sense.

So I can go into an O2 store, set up a contract for the phone I want (presumably handset-only because I want to transfer the number), then transfer the number from this account to my new handset one, and close this account?

Thanks for your help! Its good to know it can be done! (sort of!)

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@DanBoot96 

Yes although it can be a sim only contract and use the sim in your current phone.

That might be an easier option depending on your credit worthiness.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4