Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abroad for a long time, can I use o2

fowlerthomas
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I am working abroad for a long time, can I use O2?
I’ve heard that if you don’t return to the UK for two months, your number will be deactivated.
I want to know it is true? Or how can I use O2 abroad?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10573 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@fowlerthomas 

Only if you are on PAYG and don't follow the requirements of making a a chargeable call every 6 months, and keep the phone topped up..

madasaf1sh_0-1717263800170.png

If on Pay Monthly you and you are in the EU then you may run into problems as you are only permitted 63 days use in 180 days (this is a UK regulation and an EU Law), before been charged for roaming.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide has a lot of information

Outside of the EU then as long as you pay your bills then no issues

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10573 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@fowlerthomas 

Only if you are on PAYG and don't follow the requirements of making a a chargeable call every 6 months, and keep the phone topped up..

madasaf1sh_0-1717263800170.png

If on Pay Monthly you and you are in the EU then you may run into problems as you are only permitted 63 days use in 180 days (this is a UK regulation and an EU Law), before been charged for roaming.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide has a lot of information

Outside of the EU then as long as you pay your bills then no issues

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146760 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@fowlerthomas 

If in EU you are allowed 63 days in any 4 month period before you get additional charges.

There's no restrictions outside of EU.

The above applies to pay monthly.

For PAYG you need to top up at least once every 6 months.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 6

fowlerthomas
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I I using PAYG but I've heard them talk about FUP, but not quite sure if that's correct.
It says that if you use it abroad for more than 60 days, you need to come back to the UK and activate the sim once to continue using it.
But I'm abroad for a long time and can't get back home, I'll keep topping up to kept sim alive and I don't know if this has any effect so that I can keep and use my number.

Message 4 of 6

fowlerthomas
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I using PAYG, I need keep my O2 number is alive for banking purposes, etc.

I've heard them talk about FUP, but not quite sure if that's correct.
It says that if you use it abroad for more than 60 days, you need to come back to the UK and activate the sim once to continue using it.
But I'm abroad for a long time and can't get back home, I'll keep topping up to kept sim alive and I don't know if this has any effect so that I can keep and use my number.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146760 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@fowlerthomas 

As I said above, the only requirement is a top up at least once every 6 months.

You will not be disconnected if you do this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 6