Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Turkey and Cyprus

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

One of the many questions that is asked in the Forum is regarding Roaming in Turkey and Cyprus.

First lets start of with Cyprus. 

CYPRUS: is split into North and South, North being Turkish and South being Cypriot.

However there are a number of things you need to take into account.

Southern Cyprus is in the EU and therefore you can use you normal everyday allowence if you have one, or charged as per the UK rates.

Networks in Southern Cyprus are:

CYTA (Cytamobile)

MTN

PRIMETEL

Northern Cyprus is Turkish and therefore not covered by EU, so there are no special rates other than Normal Roaming Rates. Turkish Rates which are in the “Turkey” Section of the information

Networks in Northern Cyprus are:

KKTC TURKCELL

and

KKTC TELSIM which is Vodafone Turkey.  But for legal reasons they can’t be called Vodafone in Northern Cyprus as they have a Vodafone already in Southern Cyprus and this would confuse things. CYTA is Vodafone in Southern Cyprus. 

Its very confusing in Northern Cyprus

KKTC stands for Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

10FAE401-8E06-4F52-8EF5-375376DCB26A.jpeg

UK has Soverign Base areas. But there are no UK Networks present.

So when Roaing in Cyprus please ensure the mobile picks up a Cypriot network and not a Turkish one so you are not charged Expensive Roaming Charges.

TURKEY: 

Networks are

AVEA

TURKCEL

VODAFONE (Turkey)

Now even though Turkey is classed as part of Europe and Asia, its not in the EU (European Union)

Therefore normal roaming charge apply for PAYG. There are NO O2 Travel Boltons, (These are for contract only)

As you can see from the O2 Website. Turkey is not Covered on PAYG for O2 travel and normal rates apply

FF24189B-75F3-4E89-AB80-816987C02CC8.jpeg

These are the rates for PAYG

As you can see there expensive. 

FF30B95E-001F-4A0A-AF86-C7C33472B50B.jpeg

I really hope the above helps and all makes sense and can be found useful.

The only UK Network that covers Turkey as part of EU Roaming (Which is Confusing) is VODAFONE UK

This is because Vodafone have a presence in Turkey and Northern Cyprus as VODAFONE TR (Turkey)

So both PAYG and Contract are covered with their own allowence.

EE and Three do not cover Turkey and Northern Cyprus in their allowence and Roaming is charged accordingly.

Information was correct as of today when this article was published

10 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@darrengfExcellent addition to Roaming when with O2. Many people have been caught out as they think Turkey is in in the EU. The difference between being in Turkey on PAYG or contract is partiularly relevant

The explanation about Cyprus is also very useful ie North and South rates.

Thanks for the information. wink

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Any time @Cleoriff

Always happy to know.  It’s bad and I cant see why O2 Travel for PAYG cant include Turkey as contract can.  It’s a shame really.

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Useful information as always @darrengf and hopefully members off to Turkey will look at this before they go or can be pointed to it.

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Very useful indeed @darrengf and I learned something as well. I always thought Cyprus was split between Turkey and Greece. Just shows how out-of-date I am

Let's hope we still don't get questions from members regarding charging for Turkey or Cyprus after all your hard work.

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Thanks all.

one thing I didn’t update correctly but can’t ammend tonight.

there are only 2 Networks in Northern Cyprus,

KKTC TURKCELL

and

KKTC TELSIM which is Vodafone Turkey.  But for legal reasons they can’t be called Vodafone in Northern Cyprus as they have a Vodafone already in Southern Cyprus and this would confuse things. CYTA is Vodafone in Southern Cyprus.

Its very confusing in Northern Cyprus

KKTC stands for Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. 

Regarding Cyprus and Greece.  Modern Cyprus is not Greek but culturally Greek, it was however part of Ancient Greece 

few few more facts.

Cyprus is nearer Western Asia and not Europe, but Cyprus is considered as Europe. But the UN says it’s in Asia.  Confused or what. 

The greek goddess Aphrodite was said to have been born in the sea around the island, and a major temple to her at Paphos became the center of her worship in the Aegean world.

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great job on this @darrengf! It's something that comes up a fair bit so a guide is very helpful! smiling

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thank you for posting this @darrengf well done, very useful guide. thumbsup

soulframe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to add. I was in Istanbul just 2 weeks ago. I decided to get a Vodafone Pay as you sim as it worked out cheaper that roaming with O2 contract (£1 per day with unlimited texts/calls and 500MB, Vodafone data vs £4.99 day 120 mins/texts and ? data, O2)

My experience was ok. I managed to get a H+ signal and the speed was good enough. Although on Vodafone contract you can get 4G speeds.

Initially upon landing, there was no service on our phones untill we reached the hotel where we suddenly latched onto the service.

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@soulframe That’s really strange as Vodafone don’t stop people on PAYG latching onto 4G. They treat PAYG and Contract the same.  

soulframe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah, I know. My wife's contract number managed to have a 4G connection most of the time we were there. The best I could get was H+ which didn't get slowed down at all.