Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What code do I need: PAC or PUK

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

One of the many questions on here is about PAC or PUK codes, but there is a lot of confusion over which code is actually needed.

So, here is a (very) short guide about them.

A PAC code is a Port Authorisation Code. It is the code you need to give if you want to transfer your number from one network to another (say moving from Vodafone to o2).

A PUK code is an Pin UnblocKing code. You need this if you have entered the wrong PIN code too many times and you have locked your SIM card. This code will not unlock your phone to allow you to use a SIM from a different network. If that is what you are after, you will need to follow the below guide:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

If you need to get your PAC code, you will need to call o2 Customer Services (CS).

• If you pay monthly (PAYM) for a refresh, SIM only or standard contract you need to call 202 or use live chat.
  • If you are a pay as you go (PAYG) customer then you need to call 4445.

If you need your PUK code, you can find this:

You only have so many attempts to enter a PUK code. Get it wrong too often (normally 3 times) and you will permantly lock your phone. Please be careful!

If you have any questions then please post on here - but remember, this is a public forum so do not post any personal details (contact number, home address, etc), and we are not customer services so anything account specific we will not be able to help.

10 Comments
MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good job.
Needed doing.
MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Thanks a lot @gmarkj Fantastic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work @gmarkj

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj great work bud smiley I'll get this moved over to the knowledge base. 

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good simple and straightforward... 😀

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good job. Just what we needed wink

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome, thanks for this @gmarkjsmiley

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Proper pukka, that post! slight_smile 

Goldmother1980
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good evening,

owing to my husband not knowing the above, my Samsung S7 is asking for a SIM network PUK.  Can anyone help?

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

If you have switched away from o2 (so the phone was originally purchased on the o2 network) you need to call o2 customer services.

If you have joined o2 (so the phone was originally purchased on a different network) you need to contact the other network's customer services.