cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Please note: all new O2 devices are sold unlocked, so you just need to test a different SIM in the phone before you request unlocking. If it is indeed locked, then you can follow the rest of this guide.

Note also that since June 2018 it is completely free to unlock any O2 phone at anytime. slight_smile

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked......

Any phone can be unlocked (No exceptions).

The easiest way is by using the link found in your MyO2 Unlock (this assumes that it is the current phone you are using is the one you want to unlock)

If you want to unlock a phone you have stopped using, all you need to do is submit this form manual form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG as above.

If you have just purchased a PAYG phone which was previously supplied by O2, insert an O2 Simply PAYG SIM free sim and top up. Make a few calls to register the phone on the network then fill out the form as above manual form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

For iPhones you will not receive a code. Just replace the O2 sim with one from a different network once you receive notification that it is unlocked.

If the unlock fails first time, try connecting to iTunes to complete the process, but this is not required for every phone.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

Note for iPhones:

If you’ve already requested an unlock for your iPhone but you feel it hasn’t worked, try the following:

1) Insert a non-O2 SIM in the phone

2) Connect to Wi-Fi

3) Go to Settings > General > About, and enter your Apple ID and password, and you should be good to go.

If it’s still not working, please contact customer services on 202 or 4445 or post on the community so we can escalate the issue for you.

186 Comments
B52
Level 1: Joiner
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi..@gmarkj@M15@ all of community who's been helping an OAP out.. many thanks..Just to keep you updated.. EmilieT@Nichola on my case re unlocking my Huawei p.smart..SEEMINGLY..this can take upto 6WEEKS..Have been trying to get it unlocked since 13th Nov.!What is patience a virtue..Just don't understand why SO long! to unlock!
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Awful and shocking!

Let's hope it's quicker for you.

NickD
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How does the confirmation arrive to me? Via text or email? Am in Australia now and was not aware that my iPhone was locked, so hoping this can be resolved quickly as will be relying on my phone for maps and staying in contact with family
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@NickD you'll get a text to say it's been completed at which point you can just switch to your new SIM. You don't get a code for an iphone.

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@NickD Hopefully u get your iphone unlocked quickly.. Enjoy Australia.
Jbmcrunch
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have an iPhone 5 locked to o2 and I have been waiting 8 days do get an email from o2 and nearly on to my 9th day of waiting what do I do
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jbmcrunch resubmit the request again.

Jbmcrunch
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have already done that
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Have you called to chase it up?

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Jbmcrunch.. Sorry to say I've been waiting since..Wait for it! 13th Nov..for my Huawei psmart..to get unlocked/unlatched.. Hope fully you have better luck than me!So frustrating!
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

In contrast, I submitted a request and had the unlock confirmation in less than 24 hours and that was over Christmas......

Amyway, I'll tag @EmilieT as it seems to be taking too long for you guys.

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@M15 thanks.. @EmilieT on my case. Seemingly it's Manufacturers Huawei holding things up. 😠
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Very strange @B52 as no manufacturers lock their phones - only the networks do !

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Must ask @ EmilieT about that..unless I've misread her PM. Thanks for your support@M15..much appreciated 😊..you must get fed up with me.. moaning..haha
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

No, but I do get fed up with O2's delinquency @B52

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Big thank you community@MI5@EmilieT @Nichola mycare have send me my unlocking code.. Hallelujah! I just topped up £10 bundle yesterday from 02..As have payg..sim..can I still use it..if I put my unlocking code in? Or do I loose it?…As unsure as not tecky minded. Is there anything else I need todo..or am I better phoning customer services.. Thanks again for all your patience..Am now a Happy Pensioner..🤗
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Great news @B52

Unlocking won't prevent you from using your O2 credit but to complete the process you need to put a non O2 SIM in your phone.  

Once that is done, you can put your O2 SIM back in and use the credit up.

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@M15 THANKS for that! Your a star..
starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@B52 ,Great to hear that your sorted .

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@starry great relief.. many thanks for your support..shame u didn't have any luck..
JohnnyB
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT Can you please help me in getting my old iPhone unlatched from O2 network.  

I've followed all the instruction shown at the beginning of this post and I've been unable to unlatch my iPhone.  I've completed the online form twice to only have it declined because I nolonger have an active O2 SIM in the phone.  I spoke to customer services on Saturday 26th Jan, explaining all the issues I've had so far, they filled out a form for me and said that the contact number I provided will not affect the unlatch request and I'll have a response in 72 hours.  I've just received an email saying I've once against been declined because my contact number is not being used in the iPhone.  I cant believe how painful this process is.  Please help?

AgnesWeatherby
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received the unlatching code, but no box popped up to enter it after I'd inserted the new sim. Is there another way to change it?

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

If you sim is accepted it means the phone isn’t locked or has already been unlocked previously. 

MattS
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT  please could you help with my phone unlock code?

Rich001
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, purchased my daughter a 2nd hand Iphone 6S locked to O2.

I have a pay monthly contract phone with o2 (samsung s8+).

I took my pay monthly o2 sim out of my samsung and put in the Iphone and submitted the unlock proceedure via my account where I had to put Iphones Imei number in (current in use phone was recognised as the iphone)

The unlock is under progress, and I just need to wait for it to go through.

Question is, can I put the sim back in my S8 or do I have to keep the sim in the Iphone and wait for unlock 1st?

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rich001 you can put your SIM back in your phone now. 

sohagan857
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've now raised 6 unlock requests for my phone, 3 online, 3 via chat. I'm now 13 days since the first request and still paying airtime which is what I'm trying to stop! How can I escalate this?
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'll ask @EmilieT to help you @sohagan857 

Clem
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I followed the recommendations from this community (followed link )  - i.e. putting the O2 sim in and making an unlatching request using the IMEI number of that phone. I returned my O2 sim to my current phone. 6 hours later I received an email instructing me to connect the non-O2 sim into the device to be unlocked and connect it to iTunes. I did this and hey-presto the new sim is live and everything worked. I feel lucky not to have had to wait more than a few hours. 

Thanks for all the clues from everyone. Reading other's experiences helped me. I hope mine helps some others. The link I used is posted by: Marjo **Personal info**16 16:01 - last edited on ‎**Personal info**18 17:47

Desperatemum
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, have been trying to get an iphone6s unlocked that was gifted to my husband by a friend when his phone went for a swim. My daughter is currently using the phone in Canada and costing the daily travel rate to do so but would like to unlock it but we keep getting emails saying....has not been used on our network with the MPN
provided, so it will not be possible to unlatch it.just spoke to customer services on 202 and they were no help except to say get the person who gave my husband the phone to get it unlocked! He is a fisherman friend, they meet occasionally, we don't even know his mobile number! Any help would be gratefully received.
jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If it is locked to O2 then they have to unlock it by law. Their response is usually that unless the phone has been used on their network they can't unlock it.

Are you sure that it is locked to O2 because if it has been bought overseas then it will be locked to the parent network and that network will have to unlock the phone.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

The phone will need to have been used on o2 for it to show on the system first. 

Desperatemum
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie and @MI5 thank you for replying. To the best of my knowledge the phone was a UK purchased and used phone. It was spare when the guy upgraded and he gave it to my husband. Unfortunately my daughter did not put her SIM in it until in Canada as she didn't realise it was locked until she tried a Canadian SIM and then thought she could use the 'unlock my phone' from the app. She has her usual iPhone se with her for departing and arrival calls but did not want to unlock it and have to back up and reset it. I understand if they think it could be stolen but we even have the box with part no etc. Very frustrating😒
jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I suspect it isn't locked to O2 but to another network. Unfortunately, O2 won't unlock it until it shows on their own network.

As for your daughter's se, it won't need to be reset. The phone is unlocked by Apple and then you need to put in the Canadian sim. It really is that simple, no backup and reset required at all.

Desperatemum
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie surely if her O2 SIM works in the iPhone 6s then the phone is locked to O2? Why would her SE be unlocked by Apple, surely she needs to request from O2? At least if she doesn't need to reset that will be good🙂
jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Ah, I wasn't clear that her O2 sim worked in the phone so yes it will be locked to O2. Unfortunately, as the phone has not been used in the UK with the sim, it will not register on their system because it's on the roaming Canadian network. The phone will need to be physically in the UK to show on their systems.

Her own se will have hopefully been working in the UK so will have already  been registered. The unlock form will need to be done to O2 who will then submit the IMEI to be unlocked. It is then unlocked on the Apple system and she will receive a text to say it's been unlocked and to onnect to itunes. That part does not now need to be connected to itunes. Simply put the Canadian sim in and she is good to go.

It' the donated phone that she will find difficult to get unlocked until she comes back to the UK.

Desperatemum
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie thank you for your response. I may stop trying now that I have exhausted all my options🙂
Styzzi
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, how do I know if a phone is unlocked before buying it? I want to buy a nokia 3310 3G but I don't know if it is locked to the O2 or unlocked, anybody?

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

O2 no longer sell locked phones so all are unlocked to any network.

Adepizza
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does anyone know how I can get O2 to unlock my iPhone 6?

I haven't been an O2 customer for a while so using the online form that requires me to enter the date and amount of my last bill is not an option.

I believe that it can be unlocked if I have used it on the O2 network recently and as I am using a Giffgaff sim which uses the O2 network would this not work?

Thanks

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No it needs to be an O2 sim that registers the IMEI on My O2.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Adepizza 

Just get a free O2 payg sim and follow the help in the first post of the thread.

Adepizza
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 and @jonsie. I was hoping there was a way of doing it for free but I'll give it a go.

Cheers

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Adepizza 

It could be free if you know anyone with an O2 sim already?

Adepizza
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks a good point @MI5 

Would I just need to use the sim to connect to the network or would I need to make calls with it in place?

Thanks

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe a couple of calls and a text. Just until it showed up in the MyO2 account.
StephenWoody
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve been through all suggestions.
I can’t phone using my iPhone as it’s disconnected to O2; I can’t do anything manual as I can’t access myO2 as that been disconnected.
MCollins
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hey guys, I tried unlocking but now get an email saying there was multiple unlock requests so it’s not working. Any idea how long I have to wait before I can try again?

Thanks.
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'd give it a week or call in Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Chris7
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions