cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 4 steps to solving almost any non-hardware fault on an iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought these might help

The 4 steps to solving almost any non-hardware fault on an iPhone.

Turn Phone Off/On - Hold the power button until the "slide to power off" icon appears.  Slide to power off.  Leave it off for about 30secs - 1min.  Turn it on again using the same button

Reboot - Press the home button and the power button at the same time.  Ignore everything you see on the screen until the Apple logo appears.

Reset - Settings > General > Reset.  Options for erasing all, network settings etc.  Network settings one is handy for data speed/coverage issues.  WARNING - this option will make your phone forget the wifi password for your home broadband router.

Restore - Connect your phone to your pc using the data cable.  Open iTunes, wait for your phone to appear on "devices" (left-hand side, under "library").  Double click your phone's name, until you see a picture of the phone appear on the right-hand side.  Click "restore" (a button underneath the phone's picture) to perform this function.  iTunes should back up your content before it does this.

What to do if your iPhone goes dead and stops responding, including turning on.

Plug it into the mains using the USB charger.  Perform a reboot (see above) while plugged in.  If Apple logo appears within 20 seconds, let go.  Otherwise, keep holding.  Soon "Connect to iTunes" screen should appear.  Connect to iTunes for a forced-restore.  If all else fails to return to O2/Apple for repair/ replacement (if under warranty).

Dropped your phone in water?

DO NOT air dry, blow dry or shake the water out of the phone.  This moves the water to other parts of your phone.  Place it in a sandwich bag with dry rice.  The rice inhales the water naturally, drying out your phone.  This is the best chance of getting your wet phone back to a working condition.

8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have finished my currnet contract using i phone 4 s, now how can I unlock my phone to use some other provider?

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have finished my currnet contract using i phone 4 s, now how can I unlock my phone to use some other provider?

Unlock details here http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=17424

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I suggest you try Reset Network Settings before resetting and therefore erasing everything.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had normal phone, changed to iPhone 4 put new sim in, but not on same tarriff. They are charging £1 per day. 02shop turned off wifi and cellular. I can't now get emails etc. thanks.
jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have a look here for a suitable tariff.

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

Change in My O2 or call customer service.

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Another 3 year old thread ....Confused

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Maybe one of the administration can move it to a new thread....

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Turn wifi back on (it's free to use) and you will get your emails when in wifi range at least until you sort out a suitable tariff.