cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self help guide: Is the network down for me or everyone?

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Things to check before contacting O2:

If you haven’t already, check http://status.o2.co.uk for the exact postcode. If a fault shows on the live status page, O2 will already be working to fix it, and you’ll be able to register for Keep Me Posted updates.  If not, O2 crowdsources data from all checks to alert them to any problems that they’re not already fixing.

1. Is it affecting others on O2? If yes, please get them to go on to Status Checker too.

2. Try switching your phone off and on, to refresh your network connection. If this doesn’t help, try selecting the network manually, using your device’s settings.

3. If you’re having issues in different areas, try testing your SIM in a different O2 device. If the issue then stops, this indicates a device fault. If a different O2 SIM works in your device, this indicates your SIM is faulty.

4. If no issues show and your phone/SIM are okay, keep an eye on Live Status Checker (updates may take up to an hour to show)

There are also some helpful suggestions in the below video guide. 

For O2 to look into it further:

• Please go back to the same Social Media channel you were directed from, to confirm you’ve gone through the above fault diagnosis so they can investigate and raise the issue further.
  • If you’re contacting us for the first time, please let the O2 Social Media Team know you’ve already checked the above.
  • If you’re using a smartphone you can report the issue via the My Network app
  • If you prefer to call O2, Dial 202 for Pay Monthly 4445 for Pay As You Go or 8002 if you’re a  business customer

If your phone is faulty, make sure it’s backed up, try a hard reset and check your software is up to date. 

If your SIM is faulty, the best option is to pop into your nearest O2 shop: http://o2lin.kr/Po6TrH for a replacement SIM.

Once the live status page shows a fault has been fixed, you might need to turn your device off and on to refresh your network connection.

62 Comments
MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good job Adam slight_smile
perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm puzzled why people have trouble finding the O2 Status page as a Google search shows it straight away!  slight_frown

Great post Adam! slight_smile

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@perksie agreed but how many network/ mast issue related post already today?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely people do not have problems finding the network status page?

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Surely people do not have problems finding the network status page?

Youd be surprised what we get on here wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, I can imagine slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable
And I can guarantee we'll get the same questions posted in the near future again.

The nature of forums.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just wonder two things:

1. Perhaps people don't know about the network status pages that, let's face it, all the networks provide or

2. It is easier to ask a question and just wait for others to do the leg work for them? ??
MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It is easier to ask a question and just wait for others to do the leg work for them? ??

Google Link

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know MI5. I have the network status app.

But I just wonder if newbies are unaware, find o2 community then ask instead of looking up previous answers first?

Just a thought
perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would have thought the forum harder to find, according to some of the posts!

A Google search for O2 status brings it up top of the page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed these posts...

I have a GSM900-only phone which works perfectly as a phone (before anyone starts laughing) and I had problems with no-signal at home, which was caused by a GSM900 cell-site being "down" (UMTS was OK) affecting a large area. I proved the fault to the faulty Cell-site and reported it to O2 giving them the location and Cell-ID number !  Nothing was shewn on the network-status page and O2 denied a fault existed. Fault still there after a couple of weeks, I phoned O2 all the time to find out when fault would be fixed. They finally admitted a problem, fault was fixed about a week later !

DON'T BELIEVE ALL THE STATUS PAGE SAYS !

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Status page does say ;

"To find out the what’s happening in your area, right now, use our network checker below.
We monitor this site 24/7 and use the data from your check to tell us if there are any problems that we’re not already fixing. It’s rare that we’re not already on it, but we like to be sure."

It's also an indication and not 100% accurate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

All very well saying that the status is not necessarily 100% accurate....

I actually told O2 where the problem was and to a limited degree what the fault was. They did NOT take that information and check, then act on it ! 

What more information can someone require than.. The name and address of the building the cell-site was on, it's cell-ID and what the problem is ?

The fault took weeks to get sorted and all that time I ( and no-doubt many others with similar phones ) had NO-SERVICE at home for normal use.  I could see some very distant cell-sites on my phone that I got the odd text delivered through, but could not make or receive voice-calls.

The problem may of-course be that the call-takers that receive the fault reports may not accurately take the information given to them. I forget how many times I had to tell someone that I definitely did not have a flat-battery, dirty SIM or was not selecting the correct network ! 

I ALWAYS check anything that may be causing problems on my equipment before attempting the torturous task of trying to report a fault to the network-provider, as I know that they will always tell me that there is no-fault on their network and it must be my phone that is faulty !   O2 is not the only NP to have that attitude. The only other GSM900 network is just as bad.

I think I have said what I set-out to say in reply.

Best wishes to all.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I fully understand your frustration.

As I've said before many of us have experienced outages at one time or another. I once had up to 3 weeks of outages which pushed my patience.

Regarding repairs / diagnostics of masts there are factors which can come into play which can delay work such as permission to enter land, weather and parts etc.

I'm not making up excuses for the Network just trying to explain what could cause and possible delays.

Take care.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please will you let me know how to bookmark this page 

thank you

WispaRed7

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Jane, click the tab to the top right of the post and from the dropdown menu select "Bookmark".
This will then be saved in your personal settings which can be accessed by clicking on your name at the top left of the page or on your name in your badge.
adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous you will need to update your bookmarks as toby has moved the updated version into the stickied thread or just come back to the pay monthly section and it will be near the top.

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Index thread has been updated too with new post.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I may have been tempting fate when I spoke of my problems "in the past"....

For the last few days I have noticed that where I live I have a GSM900 service problem yet again.  ( UMTS is probably OK again ).  Same cell-site in town. 

I am receiving the broadcast channel perfectly, can make and get texts but any voice-call has awful quality or fails as soon as it is answered by the caller or myself.  Have noted that once the call is on a normal traffic-channel, the signal level drops down and the call is then in great risk of failing, if I have not already cleared due to not being able to understand what the caller is saying.  They also cannot hear what I am saying.  To alleviate "banging my head against the wall" by trying to report this problem via e-mail or by driving to a location where I can phone O2, I will be going in my local O2 shop and let them do something about it.

Best wishes.

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can download the "My Network" app and report issues through that if you wish.
adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@Anonymous o2 unfortunately have taken the decision to close email support.

But have added the social media team to the reporting methods if you are on twitter or on facebook hence the revision to the first post.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone has been playing up and even the Tesco helpdesk couldn't sort it out then I found that on your O2 website that it still says that as of an hour ago there is work being done on a radio mast in the me8 8hp . Is this still the case and how long is this going on for. It's driving me crazy as keep losing signal and getting sos message>

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 never give timescales for repairs but be assured they will fix it as soon as possible - It's not in their interest to have a problem for any longer than necessary.
Sometimes it take take a few days to get parts or access to the site but they are working on it....
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd suggest to keep turning your phone off and on or toggle airplane mode on and off as this helps reset the connection.

Especially when the mast is showing as good again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also Brenda if you are showing a signal but can't call try and call 901 (If it's free to call voicemail on your plan) I have found that initiating a call to O2 sometimes kicks it all back in

Anonymous
Not applicable
Terrible reception calls breaking up going off in the middle of call.got I touch with O2 they said there was trouble with the mast yet my friend who lives a couple of doors away his reception is fine, they said he would be picking up a different mast ? They said didn't know how long it would take to fix sometimes people steal parts of the mast couldn't believe what she was saying then finished by saying there was nothin more they can do so I don't think I will be renewing my contact running out shortly .
MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What did you want CS to do?
Try turning off 3G on your phone until the mast is repaired - It might help your call quality.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum.

I appreciate your frustration.

If you do not renew/upgrade your current contract then please get hold of some other network Payg SIM cards to ensure one of the alternatives do give you good signal.

You can get your phone unlocked to all networks here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form free.

Also here is a help link to keep your number when you do move.

PAC http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/544270#U544270

Leaving O2 http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

Take care.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive just joined O2...poor and unreliable voice connectivity from home (London N16)  their status page says everything is fine and O2 agents confirm this!!!!

Tried to say its a SI issue but a friend who has often stayed at our house is with O2 has exactly the same issue. Were obviously in a dead zone.....

Going to see an O2 guru on Thursday but hOpe I can get out of this contrct while still within a cooling off period.

(Unless any experts on here has got any ideas???)

many thanks if you have...

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Tugo is your only hope whilst in WiFi range.
If that's not always convenient you are better off getting out and going to a network that gives you decent coverage.
jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you are still in the cooling off period I would advise you to get out of the contract. O2 will probably try to persuade you to stay with promises of network upgrades etc. but you don't want to be stuck in a 2 year contract struggling for signal.

Get some free P&G sims and then choose the network giving best coverage. You will probably get the best deal from one of the independents such as CPW.

Anonymous
Not applicable

just downloaded and will try it out!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I had just wanted wifi coverage I would have bought an ipod with no line rental. As it is I will pay o2 nearly £3600 over 2 years for 3 contracts that are unusable in most of Norfolk and in my experience many places unless in the heart of a city.

I was just emailing Toby re unlock codes (again). He is very helpful but ultimately as I was saying to him o2 will lose more than I pay them by people like me not recommending them.

The forums are awash with these service issues. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit : correction, £2400 over 2 years but it doesn't lessen the point.

AndreaP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sadly TuGo is only available to you if you're on Pay Monthly...my husband can't use it as he's using a business SIM and it's not the most reliable of apps, often cutting off before you can answer or just not ringing at all.

Whilst I appreciate that O2 aren't able to give a time scale, their answer to the problem varies depending on who you speak to and almost 8 months down the line and no real answer or resolution is surely in breach of their T&Cs?

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you approached O2 about a boost box for your husband's account? You can both get coverage that way in your home. Obviously won't help if you can't get coverage outside but after 8 months I would be filling in the complaint form and looking to leave my contact without penalty.

Anonymous
Not applicable
As also suggested here ref boostbox http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/No-service-at-home/m-p/706427#M71806

Still awaiting of any update from the OP. slight_smile
AndreaP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm still waiting for a reply from Toby about this.  I'm loathe to spend money on a boostbox when I'm already paying for service that I'm tied into for another 12 months slight_frown

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure how Toby can make your Service re-commence.
MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not sure how Toby can make your Service re-commence.

I believe it was your suggestion to contact Toby, bob ?

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/No-service-at-home/m-p/706401#M71803

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but I'm not sure how he can get service to re commence.

I suggested PM'ing site management so they could pass customers frustration and feelings up the chain ,but to date I've not known any feedback come back down it to customers @MI5 😞
MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I guess in this case the OP wasn't clear about what you meant then.....?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly so.

So many people venting their frustration about congestion / non service , your good self included.

Nothing as far as I've seen has been channelled back.

O2 try to appease customers with Tugo and by throwing money / discount at them.
MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

As I understand it, part of the role of the various Social Media Channels is to provide feedback for O2, otherwise there is no point in having all the different forms of contact, so I'm sure the issues are fed back anyway....

Maybe @Toby can confirm if part of his (and others) role on here is to do just that?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm confident Toby, Chiara and Marina do feedback.

Absolutely no issue there.

It would just be nice for communication to be a two way street, and hear back from O2 ref these very real issues.
Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Probably we don't hear back because O2 have so many problems with mast and signal issues, they haven't the finances to sort this out?...

So are unable to respond to anyones satisfaction...Best plan?... ignore the complaints Smiley Mad

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm starting to think the same Den 😞
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think o2's thoughts are "we are spending £1.5m per day upgrading the network and we have already publicly announced that by 2017 we will have upgraded our 2g, 3g & 4g coverage to 98% of the population". Therefore from o2's pr machine there isn't anything to add.

From a customer view however it would be better if o2 talked to us, the customers. But whilst their customer numbers continue to grow they probably feel they don't need to at this time.
jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Next quarters customer satisfaction figures may be interesting.