Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 "Emergency Calls Only" Fix

Ian_McD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you're on O2 and you're getting "Emergency Calls Only" on your watch when out of range of your phone here's the fix!

I know this is a big problem for a lot of people, some of whom have returned their watch because they can't get it to work. I've detailed the process right from the start for the benefit of people who have come straight to this thread and may not have already tried most of the suggestions on other threads, most of which are relevant.

This guide assumes that you have already set up your eSim via the Galaxy Wearable App. Go in the following order:

Settings On Your Phone

1) Settings> Advanced Features> Call And Text On Other Devices - Enable

Settings On Your Watch

1) Settings> Connections> Mobile Networks> Select Auto  (Always On can be selected but Auto works fine and is better for battery life).

Go To The Wearable App On Your Phone

1) Watch Settings> Advanced Features> Remote Connection Turn On - Enable

Now here's the bit where I think it goes wrong for most people not being aware of this next step.

2) Where you just enabled the Remote Connection, stay there but this time tap on the text that says "Remote Connection" rather than selecting the toggle switch.

3) You will now enter a sort of hidden menu that contains a switch called "Calling" and it says "Make and receive calls on your watch without a Bluetooth connection to your phone". This needs to be enabled. It takes a few seconds to activate.

Now to test your connection.

1) Your phone must be on and connected to your phone data plan or wifi.

2) Make sure your Bluetooth is switched on on your phone. Although it is not being used turning it off disables most of the features in the Wearable App including what you need for this to work!

3) You can now turn off the Bluetooth on your watch to simulate being away from your phone (or you could go for a walk and leave your phone at home!). Give it a few seconds while the phone switches over to the network (a little cloud should appear on the watch face), mine takes about fifteen seconds to switch over.

4) Make your call. Hopefully if all is well you should be good to go!

Good luck! I came within a whisker of returning my phone after numerous visits to the O2 Shop and hours of messing about simply because of the hidden setting under the "Remote Connection" settings that I only found by accident!

9 Comments
RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thank you so much for the guide @Ian_McD! Glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue before returning your phone and appreciate you sharing your workaround here on the community 😁

mg
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is exactly what I need thank you --- but does anyone know the relevant menu on the Google Pixel 4a. I can find where I allow remote connections?

Francosaurus
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have followed these steps but still can't get it to work. The data aspect works and the watch picks up an O2 4g signal but it still won't it let me make calls or send SMSs when not connected to the phone. Completely at a loss as what to do as the O2 store and call centre have been no help. Getting to the point where I will be cancelling my contracts if this can't be resolved.

lirff
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same for me on my Samsung S20 FE 4G (SM-G780F) with my Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, finally giving up after 2 months of 'yes it does work, then it doesn't', esim is either 'not provisioned' or 'emergency calls only' absolute rubbish with O2 not effectively providing any real support and Samsung just the same. so sadly its back to Apple for me - I detest Apple's ethos, but having owned their products for a few years now including their Watch 6 - they do work effectively - Boo Hoo! 🙂

Josh9
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this done the steps and it has worked for me now.

For the people that tried and still didn't work, switch the watch on and off and I had to send a text message to a number before it would stop showing "Emergency Calls Only"

Watch is working fine now 

Ahextall
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Guys any more luck with this.  I have 4g WiFi cloud and all the icons and have tried texting and say sent but still no calls.  Emergency only !!  Please help I'm pulling my hair out and wasted so much time on this damn watch. 

ryanken92
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm the same, mine seems to be connected, And I can send text messages just can't call.

E30Dan
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A bit late to the party, I've only just acquired my watch 5 pro today Just to pick up on this again, I had the same problem however I can confirm that the fix mentioned has worked perfectly for me, as was said it's all about that hidden option in the Remote Connection section.  Brilliant watch and very happy. 

Myatt80
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

These instructions are brilliant. Thank you. 6 calls I made to O2 and got told something different each time. Even to the point where I was told, you cannot make calls on a 4G watch when you are not with your phone.....I couldn't believe it.

Turns out, my issue was the following; I had been sent a new eSIM which wasn't activated, but only the 6th person I spoke to, realised that.

Then I followed your steps, then it was all working!

I just can't believe these instructions are not provided from O2 when purchasing a 4G watch.