cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim)

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is just a quick help guide for people who want advice on doing a SIM swap.

Do I Need To Swap my SIM?

If it's your first contract with O2 then you will be provided with a new SIM card and number with your shiny new phone. A SIM card is sent with 3 size options so you can pick the correct size to fit your device:

1. Standard size SIM
  2. Micro SIM
  3. Nano SIM (common in most new phones)

You just need to break out what size you require. It is detailed on the card what area you need to break out for what size. A recommendation is to do it carefully as breaking out the Nano when a Mirco SIM is needed will require a whole new SIM to be sent.

You'll need to perform a SIM swap most times if you're upgrading to a new tariff. This is to have an updated network such as 4G available when it's rolled out in your area. You can set up your new SIM card to have 4G at www.o2.co.uk/4G/setup

Note that there is no number attached to a replacement Pay Monthly SIM card, it is blank.

Note also that if you're changing phones/upgrading, sometimes there is no need to do a SIM swap if your old SIM fits the new phone.

How Do You Do The SIM Swap?

You have the following options:

By text:

Text the word SWAP to 20220 from your O2 phone. You will get step by step instructions via text message.

Note that if you're texting 'Swap' to 20220 to activate the SIM this needs to be sent from the old SIM only, the new SIM won’t be active to enable this.

Via My O2:

SIM swaps can now also be actioned via your My O2 app. You’ll find an option of ‘Swap your SIM’ under ‘Manage your account’. You’ll need to re-enter your My O2 username and password, you’ll then be sent a verification code via text to your phone. Once this has been confirmed you can enter your new SIM info and this will be swapped within 24hrs.

At an O2 store:

You can visit your local O2 shop & they will do it for you. 

Please note: You'll need to bring ID to complete the process in-store.

You will know when is done because your old SIM will not work but your new one will be up and running. If you do it in store you are more likely to be up and running with your new SIM card before you even leave the shop. The process could take up to 24 hours to complete. Keep turning your phone on and off until the new SIM card is active.

When you do the SIM swap only your tariff or credit will transfer along with your phone number. Nothing that is stored on your SIM will transfer across.

If you don’t have an active SIM to do either of the above, you’ll need to call customer services to activate it. Please be aware they can only activate SIMs that have been ordered off your account for security reasons.

If you Change your phone

If the SIM card isn't the right size then you can either do a SIM swap or pop into your local O2 store and get an adapter to put your current SIM in.

As mentioned above, if you're changing to another phone/upgrading, there might not always be a need to do a SIM swap if your old SIM fits the new phone.

If you have a faulty SIM

If your old SIM does not work and you can't access the text to start the swap then you need to contact customer service.

And what about eSim?

Can I just scan the QR code in the eSIM pack from a new phone or do I need a new QR code?

To activate the eSIM you'd scan the QR code from the eSIM pack from the existing phone number that you want to activate it against.

How do I get a new eSIM pack?

You can get an eSIM pack from an O2 store or by contacting customer services.

Do I need a physical eSIM pack or can it be done electronically?

Yes, you need a physical eSIM pack.

Do I need a new eSIM to enable 5g?

No, 5G is a separate provisioning on the account. You can request a 4G or 5G eSIM pack

70 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good guide @Anonymous It needs to go into the Knowledge base and Index of help guides @Martin-O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much @Cleoriff

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Awesome guide @Anonymous! 

I agree @Cleoriff I'll get the index updated and the guide moved to the Knowledge Base. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Martin-O2

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Excellent, thanks for working on this and posting it @Anonymous! 

Fantastic

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Short, sweet and to-the-point. Good job!thumbsup

Syl1656
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Just been into store to buy upgrade my payg phone, need a smaller sim which they would not give me without photo id. I have had the same number for about 20 yrs. Tried to sell me phone that I could not use until I took my passport in! Won't be going back..
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Syl1656 just order new SIM online then follow the SIM swap process when it arrives. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

Syl1656
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
What's wrong with using all the security details used with online account? Other companies have no problem changing a sim without..
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I would rather a network with very tight security for this so no one else could get a SIM with my number on it.

Well_in
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've got a new mobile phone but can't use it because I need a nano sim (my current O2 micro sim won't convert)

I want to stay on my current O2 PAYG tariff and preferably keep my number, although this is not essential.

Understandably due to COVID-19 all O2 stores are shut and phone & online help has been reduced to almost zero mask

Is there anyway i can get this sorted now or will i have to wait until life returns to normal?

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Well_in 

Just keep trying to call 202

Rocky-55
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I phoned the 02 number and tried different options but they can't help anyone at the moment because of Coronavirus.  

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Everything is taking longer due to the lockdown. Call centres and social distancing means limited staff to handle all the queries. Patience needed I'm afraid.

Chez
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've lost my sim card only and I want to block it and order a new replacement sim card pay as you go. Can't call as I've got no credit and o2 app isn't working and online is no help either. ?
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chez 

All ways to report here Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

You will need to borrow a phone to call.

Dean74
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My o2 sim only deal just ran out. I have found the package I would like which will mean that I receive a new sim. Will this mean that I have a new number? (Which I don’t want).
If I am given a new number, is there a way for me to change back to my existing number?
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Dean74 

You'll need to call O2 to migrate your number to the new account or else you will be paying for two.

Jan1948
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Help my new sim states it should be working but my new phone states sim not recognised network????
searching
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My son gave me an i4 phone and now wants to give me an i8 phone but the SIM cards are not the same size.  The apple shop says I should contact my O2 .... and they will send me a NANO SIM.  I need to keep everything I have on the mini SIM  These "house arrest" days I cannot go into a shop and so need to DIY.  But ..I cannot find a way of contacting O2 so I have fallen at the first hurdle!   Can anyone help please?

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Coolhand
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Got old phone and with o2 payg + balance £40+, obtained new iphone5. How can I get new sim for phone and retain my balance and number. Do not mind if I have contract sim. Thanks for any help

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Coolhand 

Put your old sim in the new phone.

Coolhand
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks but old sim about size of bank card (lol) and I don’t think can be reduced in size. Using Nokia phone

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Ah, I see slight_smile

Unfortunate;y, you'll need to call O2 then Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Coolhand
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks again, maybe will have to wait until they deal with more important issues and it seems it may take a while to set up once I have the sim?

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Now isn't the best time for sure......

Ray_B
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried getting my Mum a Nano SIM after she had new phone. She doesn't use Facebook or Twitter. Recorded message basically says "dealing with essential customers only".

I contacted O2 via Twitter asking for a blank SIM to be sent to her home address, but apparently that is open to fraud. Don't know how when the SIM is being sent to the address attached to the number I provided. It's not like I'm asking for account details.

Anyway, I've got hold of a new O2 SIM that was not used by a friend. Is it easy for her to swap her number to this SIM? I know about texting SWAP and following instructions, but what do the instructions ask for?

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

You text swap from the old sim to start with.

It then asks for the new SIM number (I think).

@MI5 can you remember the details it wants?

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes @gmarkj 

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Cheers @jonsie .

Everytime I've swapped I had to call as moving from one contract to another so wasn't 100%.

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@gmarkj @Ray_B 

The process guides you through but you'll need the serial number off the new SIM preceded by 89441

Ray_B
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks very much folks.

All being well she'll be video chatting with grandkids by Tuesday slight_smile

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Fingers crossed @Ray_B .

Any more issues please come back and we'll help where we can.

jochta
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I upgraded my iPhone 8 to an iPhone 11 Pro on Refresh this week. Moved the SIM from the old phone to the new phone and I cannot make or receive calls on the new phone. Texting works fine. Tried calling O2 but due to the current situation, it just refers me back to here which isn't helping much! On myO2 it still thinks the number is attached to an iPhone 8. Any ideas how I fix this? Thanks.

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There is a network issue
We are all customers so we can't give a timescale, sorry
From O2
We’re aware some customers experienced issues with voice calls this morning and our technical teams have now restored service. If you're still experiencing issues making and receiving calls, try switching your device off and on again which will help your service return to normal. We apologise for any inconvenience caused

jochta
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Maybe just a coincidence that I did this at the same time as a network fault? I've tried switching off and on but no joy. Interestingly the other O2 phones in my household are working fine. I'll try again later.

Anno78
Level 3: Thinker
  • 45 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I upgraded my pay monthly tariff earlier this week, and everything has been cleared and changed (the app shows the new tariff up and running as does the o2 site).

A new sim card has now arrived by DPD.  Do I have to swap the sim cards over now, or will everything be okay as it is?

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anno78 

Use your old sim if it fits the phone. No need to sim swap.

Anno78
Level 3: Thinker
  • 45 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
  1. Thanks Cleoriff,  I wasnt sure what to do as normally I would've gone to an o2 store to do the upgrade, but these aren't exactly normal times.
Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Far from normal @Anno78 

Stay safe x

Vicky76
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think l need todo the SIM SWAP. Please can someone confirm.
Upgraded Mobile phone, OLD mobile has new tariff on the SIM. NEW mobile takes the same NanoSim Card. Can l just transfer SIM card to New Mobile?
If so can anyone provide a link how to transfer details onto new mobile? Ive backuped all my stuff onto PC.

Many thanks
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Vicky76 

Just use old SIM.

Useless
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have not been able to activate my sim despite 3 new ones being sent out.  Logging on doesnt work because they need to send me a code to a sim which isn't active and annot recieve texts.  I don't have my old sim.  I can't get through on phone.  Have now been charged for months despite having no service (have been using pay as you go and relying on work phone). So frustrated. I will never use them again but until my contract expires can anyone tell me how to swap or activate my sim with this company?

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Useless 

All numbers to try here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

The best number to get through seems to be
0800 977 7337

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marjo 

Changes look good, though maybe a mention could be made of using your old sim if it fits the phone? This is something we advise often.

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ah yes I've seen it talked about often indeed @Cleoriff , I'll put a note of that too in the guide, thanks. slight_smile

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Marjo  wink

Razzadazza1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I can’t because I don’t have an o2 account apparently I don’t have an old o2 sim to text 20220
MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Not relevant to you @Razzadazza1