Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Calling From UK - Versus Roaming abroad

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Many Questions are asked on the forum regarding what’s the difference between International Calling from the UK and Roaming Abroad.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

INTERNATIONAL CALLING FROM UK TO OVERSEAS:

This I where you are in the UK are showing O2-Uk on your Mobile phone and calling a number that is an International Number like +353 for Ireland, +1 for USA, +39 for Italy and so on.

You will be changed the International calling charge from he UK to the country you are calling and charges will also depends on if you are calling Landline or Mobile.

People have a miss understanding that because we can now use our mobiles in EU for free (Well Take our home tariffs of Mins, SMS and Data with us) that because the UK is part of the EU I must now be able to call say France for free. NO is the answer

You can now use any of your own UK allowance to call over seas,  The EU law changed only to allow u to take our tariffs with us to use while in EU not Roaming on our home network. (This will be O2-UK)

ROAMING WHILE OVER SEAS:

This is where you are not on your home Network (O2 UK). So if you are in the EU and have a allowance of say sms, mins and data, then as long as you are in an EU country that allows you to use your Allowence, then you can back to the UK, to the country your in and to their EU countries.

If you are not in a EU country then you will be charged roaming rates to what ever country you call to.

RECEIVING CALLS WHILE ROAMING:

So with O2 if you are in a EU country they You will receive the call for free just like the UK.

Contract Customer with O2 Travel, If you are in a Country that you can use O2 Travel then you will get 120 mins free each day to receive calls.  (This will also not set of the O2 travel charge as well)

Any other part of the world being on Contract or PAYG, (No O2 Travel) then you will be charged the inbound charge of the call.  This can be expensive depending on th country you are in.

I.e I’m in Andorra and some one calls me. (I will pay £1.25 per min to received the call on Contract and 99p per min on PAYG.

Always check the O2 http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad first for any charges. again don’t assume it will be free to receive a call when over seas. 

QUICK GUIDE:

UK to UK - will come out of you allowence or be charged as per your tariff if you have no allowance.

UK to World - This Is an International call and will be fully charged for. Check the O2 website for costs

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk

Note, Jersey, Gurnsey, Isle of Man are not part of the UK, International calls will apply!

The UK is Great Britain, Wales, Scotland, Nortern Ireland Only!

EU to UK or EU- You can use your own allowance if you have one, or be charged the standard UK Rates as you Would be charged to SMS a UK number or Call a UK number like you be if you are in the UK.

EU to Rest of World (Then you will be charged the International rate fro that country your in to the country you Called to. Check with o2 first and tell them which country you will be calling from and which country to and why type of call it is.

For Pay Monthly customers, an international bolt is available for at £3 a month for discounted call rates. More info on here

For Pay As You Go, an international SIM is also available. More info here

The Moral of the story is that International Calls from the UK are Chargeable, Do not assume or believe that they are covered due to the recent law changed the EU brought in.

If you Call France (French Number that is) from the UK, Then expect a charge as they will not come out of your own home allowence.

If you are calling some one that is overseas that has a UK mobile, then this will come out of your allowence as you are calling a UK number.  You are not calling a French Number if they were in France, you still call them on there mobile as if they are in UK

But please If you are not sure, please please ask. Don’t assume or run up big bills.  There are plenty of good people on here that will help and advise.

7 Comments
jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Nice guide @darrengf and should help to clarify a few things. Might I just suggest adding about receiving calls when roaming? 

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@jonsie. No probs Good Idea 

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Great post @darrengf. (Pleased to hear you are feeling better :smileywink:)

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@jonsie Changes made and a little enhancement too 

@Cleoriff Thanks. Had this bad Flu bug, its knocked me out for 2 solid weeks.  Never been so bad and now Ive given it to My Mum. frowning2

Just hope she can fight it off as quick as she’s had it now for a week already

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

That really needed putting up as for example A. Customer contacted me, said why did he get charged for calling France as its free calls now in europe, I stated well you called from the U.K. which is classed as an international call and your not roaming when in the U.K. he said to my dis believe "well I was travelling to Newcastle is that classed as roaming" hahahaha.

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Classic 😂😂

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Very useful guide, thanks for posting this @darrengf! Well done! smiling sun bouquet

Fantastic