Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Reset your Samsung after a Firmware Update

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

If your Samsung device displays strange behaviour after a firmware update, DON'T PANIC !

There is nothing wrong with your phone.

What's happened is that some of the old system files have become corrupted by the new system files and you need to "reset" the phone to clear the conflicts.

This process will delete everything from your phone (except anything on your sim card or external SD card) and will reset the operating system so your phone runs smoothly again.

You will still be on the latest updates (the one you just downloaded) as you cannot roll back this way.

First you need to back up your data, unless you're not worried about losing it.

For older Samsung devices; Feature phone, Smart Phone/Tablet before Galaxy Note III (including Galaxy S4, Note II, etc) you need to download Kies to your PC or laptop Kies and carry out a full back up. Instructions are on the link.

For newer devices, Smart Phone/Tablet from Galaxy Note III (Android OS 4.3 or higher) you need Samsung Smartswitch. We have a seperate guide for that here Smartswitch

After this, go into Settings >back up & restore and make sure the options to back up & restore device are ticked.

Next, make sure you are connected to wifi and reboot the phone, wait 5 mins before turning off again (this allows the phone to back up apps to Google servers).

With phone off, hold Vol Up + Home + Power all together until the phone boots up, then let go. (For Galaxy S8 and S9 hold the Volume up, Bixby, and Power buttons at the same time, and keep them held down until you see the Samsung logo).

You will now be in the bootloader menu.

Use vol down to select the option to reset all user data (or similar words) and when highlighted, press the power key.

Wait for menu to appear again and then press the power key when "reboot" is highlighted.
Phone will now restart and prompt you to re-enter your google account and set up some of the defaults on the phone.

Once it fully boots up your apps will automatically download again to the phone.
After all the apps have downloaded, reconnect to Kies and restore the backup you made earlier.

Simples !! slight_smile

110 Comments
perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

If your Samsung device displays strange behaviour after a firmware update, DON'T PANIC !

Aaaww, come on, just a little panic please! 🙂

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Aaaww, come on, just a little panic please! 🙂

I did...a little!wink.gif

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I did...a little!wink.gif

I know, you didn't seem ecstatic about it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
A 'little' Panic keeps us in a job !
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Well done everything to the point of re-booting after reset/wipe and phone won't even turn on now, just keeps rebooting and switching off!!

Smiley Frustrated

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Start over and do it again.
Pull battery to stop the looping.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry it didn't work. Still the same won't connect to network

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

My options when I do the reboot thing are:

reboot system now

apply update from ADB

apply update from external storage

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

apply update from cache

I did the "wipe data/factory reset" and then reboot.

However, I'm still stuck at the SAMSUNG splash screen... 😞 😞 😞 😞 😞

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Try the reset a couple of times, but if still no good you can try a reflash http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...
If that still fails it's back to Samsung, I'm afraid....

Note, it can take 10/15 mins to restart after a reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just downloading the firmware now from Sammobile...  Keeping everything crossed.  Was so excited this morning when I had the 4.3 update.  I'm now wishing I hadn't bothered.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You'll be fine wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really, really hope so!  The download from sammobile is taking a while.  I'm getting so despondant whilst it's doing it!  But I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right directions for things.  Thank you

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Well, if it helps, I got my fingers crossed for you slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's letting me do stuff!  It's connecting to Google to restore my account at the minute!  Phew!

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Success, YAY !! slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... It's now saying "Not registered on network" when I try to use it as a phone...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to:

Settings
More Networks
Mobile Networks
Choose a network operator
Search Network

Assuming o2 comes up in the search click on it and it should register you on the network.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is there, but... it momemtarilty flashes "Registering on O2 - UK", then says "Unable to connect. Try later"

Then I get a warning triangle notification "No service. Selected network (O2 - UK) unavailable"

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm... It's now saying "Not registered on network" when I try to use it as a phone...

Did you flash the correct firmware, ie if you were O2 branded before you have to flash the O2 firmware ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please go to http://status.o2.co.uk and enter your postcode to see if your local network is working or if there is a fault on the mast
Anonymous
Not applicable
Failing that and this might sound silly but please forgive me but has the sim card been inserted correctly?

Try taking it out again and cleaning the sim then put it back in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was O2.  I flashed O2.  The network status says my postcode is fine

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sim's fine.  Took out and reinserted to make sure

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mmmm 0k. Do you have another phone you can test the sim in? Could the sim be faulty?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. I'm thoroughly despondent at the mo and regretting the OTA this morning.  I had a great phone until 08.00 this morning.  I do appreciate people taking the time to try and help me with my brick

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check your IMEI number is still correct.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no need to apologise. We know how frustrating it can be and emphasise with you.

Between us we will try to get you sorted if we can! !!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMEI is completely different 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 this one is for you. Over my head now
anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think the answer lies within. 

Firstly unless there is a reason why you can't change the firmware such as a network or SIM lock. There should be no restriction. ODIN can factory reset a phone although why you have a different IMEI is a lttle weird.

Dial *#06# to get your IMEI. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2098642

*2767*3855# will perform a full factory reset and reset the device to the factory default. If you really have a malfunctioning device.

Can you access files via the USB data cable and if so, back up what you can onto your PC/Mac.

In the link above, it should have a code which tells you how to check the lock status. Unlocking is free for people on contracts.

If your question doesn't get answered by the time this post appears. Give that info a try. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Found another site that mentioned restoring IMEI's via Odin.  It worked a treat.  

Happier, more relaxed now!  It's back to being a phone rather than a paperweight!

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is brilliant news. Well done and really pleased for you.

Hope you found the community welcoming and helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely!  Had I not started on the Odin flashing route, I'd still have a paperweight!  My only remaining question is, how can I now update to 4.3?!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad you have a working phone again slight_smile
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep modem screwed up as I thought hence IMEI check. Well done for finding it:)
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a great shout.  I'd presumed IMEIs were fixed and would have never thought to check it.  So, will I be able to do a standard OTA update to get 4.3?  I'm now back on 4.1.2...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you should be able to the update slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes should work ota as normal now
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you brave enough lol after today? 😎
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
4.3 is on Sammobile now.
Type i9505o2u into the search box and flash with Odin http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

So are all versions of this update using a bad modem driver or is it just the O2 one?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go on I dare you wink
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

This is the second or third one we've had on here - Not seen it on any other forums, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Of course the extensive O2 testing will have picked it up so it can't be a real fault wink

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was about say that it won't let me do an OTA update, but if Sammobile now have it, I'll mooch on over and flash it! Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I type in i9505o2u into Sammobile, it tells me to use Kies to update.  Kies now doesn't seem to like my phone 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

What do you mean by Kies doesn't like your phone?

Do you mean it won't connect or recognize your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's exactly what I mean
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just download the 4.3 firmware?
davidle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have seen this advice but it requires you to be connected to the wifi network to carry it out. The issue is that the phone does not connect to the wifi network - hence the message "network disabled because internet connection is slow" So what do you do then?