cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide - How do I find my own mobile number?

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Hi there!

This is one of our most-viewed guides! If you landed here in search of info on what your mobile number is, would you mind letting us know some details on why you're searching for this, in our feedback topic here? We'd like to gather some insights to understand the issue better. Thanks a lot in advance!

- O2 Community Team

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

Someone asks you for your number, the mind goes blank. Who dials their own number, right?

Well, fear not: There are 5 fairly simple methods, and one not-so-direct one, to find out what your own phone number is...  Well, OK, ease is relative, but take a look below and see which suits you best!

1) If you own a PAYG phone, the phone number is printed on the PAYG SIM pack, as shown (partially redacted) below:

image3.jpg

2) If you don't have the SIM pack but do have credit, you can call a friend or associate and the number will show up on the recipient's phone:

image7.png

3) If you don't have your SIM pack OR any credit, O2 Live Chat can get the mobile number, when you ask, but you will need to quote your SIM serial number. This requires you to open the SIM carrier on your phone and carefully remove the SIM card.

1. The location of the SIM number on a standard SIM card (and on the card the SIM came with) is shown here:
    image8.jpg
  2. The SIM number location on a Micro or Nano sim is shown below:
    image6.png
  3. The link to “O2 Live Chat” can be found here: https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
    Screenshot 2022-10-24 155833.jpg

4) Text the word NUMBER to 2020 – it's free to send this text and O2 will reply with your phone number, as shown here:
image4.jpg

5) There should be an option to see My number in your phone’s menus.

1. On an Android-based phone, you can see if your number is listed in
    Settings > About phone > Status > SIM Status > My phone number > 
    image5.jpg
    However: Dependent on the software version, it may or may not show a mobile number.

Also please note this menu path may vary depending on the Android phone, and the version of Android, in question -  the menus all differ slightly.

2. If you’re an iPhone owner, navigate to Settings > Phone and My Number will be the first field on the list:
    image1.jpg

6) It is listed at the very top of the MyO2 app opening screen:

Screenshot_20181114-220715__01.jpg

And lastly, if anyone tells you that you can get your telephone number by looking up your phone’s IMEI number (often listed on the package your phone came in), don’t believe them - it’s not impossible, but requires access to telco’s equipment at a level that normally neither you nor the telco have. 

33 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Great little guide @pgn

Though I can remember mine. Had it 10 years now

I checked my husbands for him today, it can also be found in Settings >>> About phone... on his Samsung S7edge  (I didn't need to go into Status or Sim status) wink

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

You might want to add look in My O2?

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Good catch, @jonsie - Method (6) now included...

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Great little guide @pgn

I checked my husbands for him today, it can also be found in Settings >>> About phone... on his Samsung S7edge  (I didn't need to go into Status or Sim status) wink

Thank you, @Cleoriff - and I think your hubby's Samsung S7edge is captured under the caveat "please note this menu path may vary depending on the Android phonethumbsup

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@pgnVery true. I missed that, so you had it all covered. Happy Dance

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgnVery true. I missed that, so you had it all covered. Happy Dance

We try to please....  Crazy LOL

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Easiest way to find out is by sigining into your account for me although I had the same number for years now. I haven't used PAYG for a few years now so got out of the habit although generally you used to find it in a section called My Number or About telephone as said. Most VMNP have the number displayed there whereas I noticed o2 contracts don't display the number at all for "security" reasons.

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Good job @pgn.
Maybe @Martin-O2 could add to the index thread?
Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Great work @pgn, thanks for taking the time to write this up! slight_smile It might sound surprising but we actually have many people searching on the community how to find their own mobile number, so this will surely be a helpful resource for many.

Thanks!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Awesome guide @pgn! Thanks for writing this up. smiling Really useful info in here! 

@MI5 Adding to the index now. wink

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

And this Guide has made it onto the Community Carousel, yaay!

I think that deserves a blast of this (the extended version!):

Thanks everyone for the comments that I could incorporate, and for @anticpated, yes, whilst not on the bill, your number is (if you've remembered it and registered on O2's website) there in front of you when you log in.  I guess options (3) and (6) both need you to have done that, so that's a good suggestion too - the unwritten (7)? wink

Paulineowens136
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Any one know how to get number off a sim i got given thanks
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

You would have to call customer service.Why not just order a free sim online and the mobile number will be on the packaging.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=bigbundles

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions
ahmedsahlal
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i try to gat my lost 02 number xxxxxxxxxxx ,ets very empurtane number.to me  pleas hepe me if you can thanks 

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as phone numbers on the public board. Thanks!]

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

How do you mean the number is lost?

When did you last use the number @ahmedsahlal ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
These guides are great.. thanks!
gina
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
how do i put my old number on here i have a puc code to do.it but dont know how pr where i go to look for it
gina
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
how do i put my old number on here i have a puc code to do.it but dont know how and where i go to look for it
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know that you can text NUMBER to 2020 and it will text you back with your number. You learn something new everyday! 😄

Consultussdfo
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

如何查询电话号码ussd命令查询*#

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Consultussdfo 

Only English is allowed on the forum. However, the answer to your query is in the guide above.

Onetwo
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Seen this question asked a lot as I've also asked the question, with all the unusual solutions which don't work on new payasyougo Sims.

https://myo2payg.o2.co.uk

Turn on mobile data & go to the above in the default browser.  It'll load up to myo2 with your number which will also be present in the address bar although no data it'll still load this part of o2's site 

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Once the sleeve the SIM is sent to you in is lost or discarded, without credit you cannot call another number, fair point. Interesting.

Good tip about the mobile data, must try it on one of the PAYG phones in the house later, @Onetwo - thank you for the tip.

@Martin-O2  @Breanna - this tip may need to be added to the Guide above, with a screenshot when I get one 👍

Onetwo
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I always keep spare Sims but can't always keep packaging.  Had used the mobile site above however forgot what it was as I kept trying to go to my O2 which couldn't detect the number. 

Eventually somehow I got to that page and it was the same I used some year's ago so thought certainly need to log it as I've not seen it on O2 or other guides when doing generic searching.

The difficulty with new O2 Sims is one can't send free texts for balance, number etc, as the SIM isn't activated as such however can still receive calls, texts.  I also Thought  requesting a pac would text the number to me but with new Sims you can't request PAC via text, it must be done on myo2.

Consultussdfo
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

我可以要求ussd检查电话号码吗?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Consultussdfo 

Only code I know only works for Vodafone in the UK *#100#

Consultussdfo
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

🤤

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Q: Apple Watch device phone number: how do you find this? 

A: Nowhere – you have to waste your valuable time phoning O2 CS and have them tell it to you

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/What-is-my-Apple-Watch-phone-number/m-p/1630397/highlight... 

Why does that not surprise me. 🙄

OFromTheFuture2
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I’m from the future, as of 13 February 2024, when I text number to 2020 on an O2 pay as you go simcard, the smartphone simply says it can’t send the text message with error message “can’t send message with O2 - error 0”, and reports unknown number under the Android sim manager for O2, whereas it easily reports the number for every other major UK PAYG telecom provider such as EE, 3, and Vodafone!

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

@OFromTheFuture2 - last used in jul-23, but still working just now:

1000015229.png

Try disabling dial-smart-assist on your phone, or enable RCS fully, or try a different messaging app. Type the number anew into your messaging app rather than using the stored number too. Good luck!

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@OFromTheFuture2 

Have you topped up your sim Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) ?

You need an active bundle to send the text.

Also, O2 don't push numbers to sim cards like the other networks so your number won't show in Android settings, on O2 it only works for iPhones.