Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling your contract - An updated guide

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

With some new rules coming into force on Monday 1st July 2019 making it easier than ever to cancel your contract and switch networks it’s probably time to update the old guide on cancellation to use the new improved process

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

I want to cancel my contract and transfer my mobile number to another network

To do this you need a PAC code. The easiest way to get a PAC code is to text PAC to 65075

You will then receive a text message containing your PAC code (or depending on the network a message asking for security information). Your PAC code will consist of 3 letters which identify the network followed by 6 numbers

You should also be able to request a PAC code online using your online account

You then give the PAC code and the number you want to bring across to your new network and it should transfer the following working day (if submitted before 17:30 on a working day) or within 2 working days if submitted after the cut off or at the weekend. You can also select a day of your choosing for the transfer to complete.

Under the new process your old supplier can no longer charge you a notice period for leaving and your old service will terminate automatically on the date arranged with your new network

I want to cancel my contract. I have already signed up to a new network but I do not want to transfer my number

This has just got a LOT easier with the addition of STAC codes. To obtain a STAC code text STAC to 75075

You should then receive a text with your STAC (or depending on the network you may get a follow up text asking for security information). A STAC code consists of 6 numbers followed by three letters which identify the old network.

You should also be able to request a STAC code from your online account

Give the STAC code and the number you want to close to your new network and the old number should close down the following working day (if the code is given before 17:30 on a weekday) or within two working days if the code is given after the cut off or at a weekend. You can also choose for the old service to terminate on a date of your choosing

Under the new process your old supplier can no longer charge you a notice period for leaving and your old service will terminate automatically on the date arranged with the new network

I want to terminate my contract but am not signing up to a new mobile network

Two options here. You can follow the original guide linked above or you can get a PAYG sim for any network that is different to the one you are leaving and give them a STAC code to close down your old account

How much will I be charged for leaving?

You can no longer be charged for a 30 day notice period under the new system which is designed to prevent people from paying twice for a mobile service unnecessarily as was common under the old system

However if there is longer to go on your contract than 30 days you may be charged an early termination charge. You should be provided with information on this with your PAC/STAC or you can text INFO to 85075 to get details on any early termination fees that may be payable. If you are on O2 Refresh/O2 Custom Plan and there are payments to go on your credit agreement these will become due if you leave

Is there a difference between a PAC code and a STAC code?

Yes!

PAC codes take the format ABC123456 where ABC is 3 letters to determine the losing network and 123456 is a unique code linked to your old mobile number. PAC codes are only used if you want to keep your number and transfer it to a new network

STAC codes take the format 123456ABC and are only used if you don’t want to keep your number

The two code types are not interchangeable and you must get the correct code depending on if you want to keep your number or not. It is possible to be issued with both types of code if you aren’t sure of your intentions and they remain valid for 30 days however you must give the correct code to your new network depending on if you want to keep your number or not

Once you use a STAC your number is lost so you must be sure this is what you want before giving a STAC to your new network

What happens if I request a PAC code or STAC code but don’t use it. Will my line terminate after 30 days?

Put simply, and this was an often source of confusion with the old system, if you generate either code but do not use them nothing will happen! Your service will continue on your old line. Requesting a code does not terminate your service. Using either code and giving them to a new network are the only things that will terminate your service

I have a multi line account. How do I get a PAC/STAC/Switching Info?

Unfortunately for some bizarre reason if you have more than one line on your account you cannot use the text service even though it should be blindingly obvious which number is making the request when you send the text or the text service could have asked which number the request relates to rather than just plain refusing the request

You can however still obtain a PAC/STAC/Switching info from your online account

132 Comments
MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

You're welcome

vodafonebetter
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why is it so hard to cancel, yet to buy a sim it takes about 5 mins? Useless company

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

It's not that hard @vodafonebetter . You send a text message to a number and give the PAC/STAC code to someone else. Job done!

Rannoch
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I currently have an 24-month O2 contract which finishes on 11th July. I've seen an offer from a third party website of a 24-month O2 contract for an IPhone 11 - much less than direcvt from O2.
How does it work if I stay with same supplier but switch contract but keep my mobile number, and to avoid charges on the old contract when should I cancel/switch.
Thank you

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

I've done this off and on over the years, no issue - you even keep your O2 online billing, @Rannoch.

Sometimes the third party will send you a new SIM, if the phone you're moving from has an older or larger SIM - again, the guide for SIM swap is here: Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

This is the Upgrade guide, for ref:

Guide: Upgrading Your O2 Phone 

There will always be a bit of overlap when moving to a new contract, as you pay up-front a month in advance for the O2 service, but if you renew in the month in which your old contract expires, there will be no Device Plan component.

Any up-front charge for the new phone is usually paid on the day you take out the new contract, if applicable.

Your 2nd bill after upgrade will be at the rates signed up for because of this.

Take care also, some resellers put you on a Business tariff, which is often (but should not be!) quoted without the VAT (20%).

Your new contract will also go up the April after taking it out, due to O2's RPI increase - this is usually only a few 10s of pence, and will be spelled out in your new contract.

Good luck, @Rannoch.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@pgn 

Congrats on finding the UPGRADE GUIDE  which I had completely forgotten about! A bit stupid as I made a lot of comments when it was originally done way back in 2015 yahoo

Rannoch
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Very much appreciated

Thank you @pgn 

Rannoch
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Arranged a new o2 contract via a third party and everything was straight forward and very quick. I ordered the new phone/contract and later that day the new number/contract was in my o2 account.

Next day I contacted o2 and arranged to migrate my existing mobile number to the new contract - the transfer took all of 5 minutes.

I also unlocked my old iphone - again very straight forward.

o2 customer service was excellent.

Thanks @pgn for your advise.

Rannoch

pgn
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

You're welcome, @Rannoch - my experience has been very similar to your own, over most of my upgrades on O2 in the last few years.

And I'll tag in one of the Forum Managers to make sure your praise for O2 Customer Service gets back to that team - @Martin-O2.

Adal
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I checked the guide and read clear instructions on how to message for pac code to 65075 and that it is free to do so. I sent it and got message failed. I tried a day later. Same. I would like to talk to someone onlive chat but my account when signed in does not show option.
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Up1
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have several numbers on my account but want to remove an unused one I

am charged every month for. I cannot use a STAC code, I can’t talk to a human, contact us sends one in circles. Do I have to go and knock on O2’s door?

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

Sorry to hear you are struggling @Up1.

I'll mention the community gurus to see if they can help as you are struggling.

@O2Georgina @O2Trevski can you help?

O2Georgina
Former Staff
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

@gmarkj Thanks for the tag

@Up1  I will send you a private message now

heatherp6
  • 40 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

how do you get a pac/stac code online ? thanks

pgn
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions
maggotdrowner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@O2Georgina My contract is now finished and i'm wanting to cancel. As there is no simple method on the website, could you assist as you did with @Up1 

I no longer need the number, so no PAC or STAC codes needed, just need to cancel.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave1988
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys my contract is up on the 3rd of february

My bill is due on the 4th

Can i give my 30 notice on 3rd january or wait until the 4th when my next bill is? Thanks

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Dave1988 

You don't need to give notice anymore.

You can cancel on the last day of your contract.

Dave1988
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5

Thanks for that 

But wont i get a bill those for february? 

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Dave1988 

Once your contract has reached the minimum term, you get billed up to the day you cancel, nothing more.

bhopro
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MyO2 process:

1. Log into your MyO2. MyO2 sign in 
2. Select the number you want to get the PAC/STAC code for.
3. Go to "More" in the nav bar at the top of the page, a drop down menu will appear.
4. Click update your personal details
5. At the bottom of this page is a "Thinking of switching from o2" section
6. Press continue on this section and follow the next steps, (may have to turn off your ad blocker). and you should get your PAC code if you have multiple devices through my o2.

Hi, is this still the exact procedure to request a PAC/STAC using their account?

They can't text so wanted to request it online from their account.

Just wanted to be sure before sending it to a not so tech savvy friend 😁

Rabah-ladjache1
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I make order sim carte by mistake in few days ago I need to cancel this contract please I call costumer service mini taime but no hold my call 

pgn
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

@Rabah-ladjache1 - call customer service Sales Management team, 

message them on Social Media if that works best for you -on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

Or you can call them on 0800 081 0255.

Good luck.

jossmax
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I spoke to o2 customer service about leaving O2 My contract ends on the 16/03/2023. She says I have to give 31 days notice. I told her that is incorrect.She disagreed. Who is correct? 

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@jossmax 

The advisor is correct as you are still in contract at this time.

Once you reach the end of your contract, no notice is required.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jossmax 

If you leave before contract end you will be liable for any outstanding amounts. Or you can leave on the last day of contract and owe nothing.  You won't need to give notice. Just follow the guide above.

jossmax
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes thanks for the replies. My intension is to leave on contract end date. Save a lot of hassle.

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Just use your PAC on the 16th and you will be gone @jossmax 

RVC
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. I have 2 SIMs and 2 numbers on my O2 account - one is Pay Monthly, one is Pay As You Go. My Pay Monthly contract has just finished and I’d like to cancel it. I won’t be transferring the Pay Monthly number, but I’d still like to keep my Pay As You Go number active 

What would be the best way to go about this (ideally without calling customer services)? It’s probably one of the simple solutions already mentioned but I read about the “multi line accounts” in the OP and wasn’t sure if that applied to my situation. 

DenizE
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I just want to cancel my contract with O2 came with Virgin Media Broadband, Volt. I have never used the sim card actually, I didn't even know my number. How can I cancel it? Is there a Live Chat to do that as all the other companies have?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@DenizE 

You need to contact O2.
Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202