Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling your contract - An updated guide

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

With some new rules coming into force on Monday 1st July 2019 making it easier than ever to cancel your contract and switch networks it’s probably time to update the old guide on cancellation to use the new improved process

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

I want to cancel my contract and transfer my mobile number to another network

To do this you need a PAC code. The easiest way to get a PAC code is to text PAC to 65075

You will then receive a text message containing your PAC code (or depending on the network a message asking for security information). Your PAC code will consist of 3 letters which identify the network followed by 6 numbers

You should also be able to request a PAC code online using your online account

You then give the PAC code and the number you want to bring across to your new network and it should transfer the following working day (if submitted before 17:30 on a working day) or within 2 working days if submitted after the cut off or at the weekend. You can also select a day of your choosing for the transfer to complete.

Under the new process your old supplier can no longer charge you a notice period for leaving and your old service will terminate automatically on the date arranged with your new network

I want to cancel my contract. I have already signed up to a new network but I do not want to transfer my number

This has just got a LOT easier with the addition of STAC codes. To obtain a STAC code text STAC to 75075

You should then receive a text with your STAC (or depending on the network you may get a follow up text asking for security information). A STAC code consists of 6 numbers followed by three letters which identify the old network.

You should also be able to request a STAC code from your online account

Give the STAC code and the number you want to close to your new network and the old number should close down the following working day (if the code is given before 17:30 on a weekday) or within two working days if the code is given after the cut off or at a weekend. You can also choose for the old service to terminate on a date of your choosing

Under the new process your old supplier can no longer charge you a notice period for leaving and your old service will terminate automatically on the date arranged with the new network

I want to terminate my contract but am not signing up to a new mobile network

Two options here. You can follow the original guide linked above or you can get a PAYG sim for any network that is different to the one you are leaving and give them a STAC code to close down your old account

How much will I be charged for leaving?

You can no longer be charged for a 30 day notice period under the new system which is designed to prevent people from paying twice for a mobile service unnecessarily as was common under the old system

However if there is longer to go on your contract than 30 days you may be charged an early termination charge. You should be provided with information on this with your PAC/STAC or you can text INFO to 85075 to get details on any early termination fees that may be payable. If you are on O2 Refresh/O2 Custom Plan and there are payments to go on your credit agreement these will become due if you leave

Is there a difference between a PAC code and a STAC code?

Yes!

PAC codes take the format ABC123456 where ABC is 3 letters to determine the losing network and 123456 is a unique code linked to your old mobile number. PAC codes are only used if you want to keep your number and transfer it to a new network

STAC codes take the format 123456ABC and are only used if you don’t want to keep your number

The two code types are not interchangeable and you must get the correct code depending on if you want to keep your number or not. It is possible to be issued with both types of code if you aren’t sure of your intentions and they remain valid for 30 days however you must give the correct code to your new network depending on if you want to keep your number or not

Once you use a STAC your number is lost so you must be sure this is what you want before giving a STAC to your new network

What happens if I request a PAC code or STAC code but don’t use it. Will my line terminate after 30 days?

Put simply, and this was an often source of confusion with the old system, if you generate either code but do not use them nothing will happen! Your service will continue on your old line. Requesting a code does not terminate your service. Using either code and giving them to a new network are the only things that will terminate your service

I have a multi line account. How do I get a PAC/STAC/Switching Info?

Unfortunately for some bizarre reason if you have more than one line on your account you cannot use the text service even though it should be blindingly obvious which number is making the request when you send the text or the text service could have asked which number the request relates to rather than just plain refusing the request

You can however still obtain a PAC/STAC/Switching info from your online account

132 Comments
CavingWidow
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I want to cancel my contract but there is no clear method of doing so. Who do I need to speak to or how do I do it? 

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions
Read the guide. The 4th paragraph says to text PAC to 65075!
JDB
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I've got 2 numbers so trying the online method, but just cannot see where to click. Somebody posted a link previously to the manage account section, but just getting an error message. Anyone talk my through it step by step of where I should be clicking? Thanks
JDB
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's ok have now found it, had to get sent a sms security code to access that part of the account.
DBAD13
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm struggling to get a response from anywhere else. I joined O2 at the end of March and ported my number from EE. Since making the transfer anyone who calls my number from an EE mobile can't connect and gets a "you have dialled an incorrect number" automated voice message. Any ideas? 

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@DBAD13 

You may have a split port so you'll need to call customer service Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

The best number to get through seems to be
0800 587 4005

Dhande0
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a multi line account. How do I get a PAC/STAC/Switching Info?

Unfortunately for some bizarre reason if you have more than one line on your account you cannot use the text service even though it should be blindingly obvious which number is making the request when you send the text or the text service could have asked which number the request relates to rather than just plain refusing the request

You can however still obtain a PAC/STAC/Switching info from your online account

Please advise where and how I can obtain the PAC code from online account .

I Have tried various ways but been unsuccesful 

Many Thanks 

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Dhande0 

We know you need to contact O2 if you have more than one line on your account. As you say, it should be obvious which number you want to cancel but who are we to query the system? yahoo

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Dhande0 

The best number to get through seems to be
0800 587 4005

Spin
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What if I want to cancel broadband?
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Spin 

Put the BB SIM in a phone. 

You have 100 texts a month on it free. 

Dhande0
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 . Sorted thanks to your help !!

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

You're welcome @Dhande0 

Mbugsy18
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I want to cancel my O2 refresh airtime contract and don't want to keep the number. I have a bill and it's due for payment on July 9th. I have paid for the device in full so is it just phoning or texting for a STAC code and transfer that to a payg Sim from another network? Or do I need to phone CS.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Mbugsy18 

You don't need to contact CS at all . Text for your STAC and transfer to a PAYG sim as you said.

Mbugsy18
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, so once I get my STAC is the airtime contract cancelled or when it actually transfers to the PAYG sim? Also as money hasn't been taken yet will it be taken on July which myO2 indicates will be the case?

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

It will close your account when you transfer to the PAYG sim. You will have one more payment as indicated in July @Mbugsy18 

tim3
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just want to cancel my airtime. As am on 02 refresh. Need to keep the phone contract going. What is the best way
pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Under the terms of O2 Refresh, that order cannot be done, @tim3  - you may be able to flex down your tariff to get the Airtime lower, but Refresh only allows you to settle the Device Plan early and *then* switch to a different Airtime or SIM only monthly plan. Bit of a balls, really. 

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

The phone is of no use without airtime @tim3 

Steve26
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need some help closing my old EE account.

I think the problem is that I've already got an O2 account, new phone, new number for maybe a year now, but kept my old EE phone going.

I've obtained a STAC code for the EE phone and went to an O2 store, but after some unfamilarity and resolving to look on the O2 website they concluded I need to talk to EE.  I went to an EE store and they said I have to phone up.  I phoned up but where I now live the EE service is non-existent and after 10 minutes of waiting to get through the call failed (and I also don't want to risk another months charge anyway).

Even though I've already setup a contract with O2, can I still have someone process the STAC code to shutdown the account with EE?  For info, my contract with EE ran out 3+ years ago, so I am out of contract with them.

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Steve26 

You can just submit your STAC to O2 online.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number/online-form

or call O2 on 202 free from your O2 phone, on 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

Steve26
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

All sorted, an O2 Live Chat dialog popped up (not the Aura thing), so I asked there.  I gave some details including the STAC and they did it all for me.  Job done thumbsup

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Good news slight_smile

Ken4
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am trying to cancel my O2 account. I have moved from the UK to Greece, where I have a pay-as-you-go Sim with a Greek provider.

I have texted STAC to the number given,as directed; but, possibly because my new provider is Greek, its not been processed.

I can't seem to make any progress on this route.

Can anyone suggest a way forward for me?

Is there someone I just can talk to about it?!

Many thanks.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions
Navs
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is it possible to suspend your account(data use) whilst abroad and only pay for the device on a pay montthly contract?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Navs 

No sorry.

The only option you have is to pay off the device plan and switch to PAYG to save the airtime cost each month.

Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've called o2 customer service around 10 x times today & asked for PAC Code please.

I've bought an brand new £1 SIM card with NO Credit and they told me to top up £10 just to send one ☝🏼 message to 65075 with the word PAC and then it says message not delivered. Because I have no balance in my mobile & same thing to WiFi

On the website says it free to send this message, but now they are saying it cost 35p. This is complete Nonsense. now I'm stuck with an good 😌 easy o2 mobile number that I can't move to giffgaff
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Mehroz 

Call again and remind them of their obligation to provide you with a PAC as directed by OFCOM.

Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes I've already have, I've Told them This already, but they are refusing to help me.
I'm only 11 years old. My parents are paying £10 on giffgaff. I've found an easy number from 02. And I just want an PAC code. That's all. How hard can it be ?
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. Thanks for your quick response
I've just emailed now to that company called ofcom about 02 not providing me PAC Code for my pay as you go number

Just one question is it an free service to send the message to 65075 saying the Word PAC ?

Even it's an brand new SIM card with no balance or credit in it.

Thanks once again.
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Mehroz 

Yes it should be completely free.

Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's very strange
I've the brand new SIM card in my 2020 iPhone SE, connected to my home WiFi
And I've went to messages, Typed in 65075 and typed the word "PAC" after few seconds says message not delivered

My only chance is to go an 02 store 🏬 once the uk 🇬🇧 lockdown is open
I'm very frustrated and angry 😠 that I've spent £1 on SIM card and it won't allow me to send an FREE message to 65075

I'm sorry 😞 once again for any trouble 👿 may caused guys. Love ❤️ the help here
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Mehroz 

You can't send a text over WiFi so you need to top-up the SIM card to activate it first. Sorry, I thought you had done that already 

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No, I've not topped up any credit
Because I'm using this number to move onto giffgaff. But why does it say it's

Free to text 65075 from the 02 website
I've bought the SIM card from Asda & Paid £1. I'm only 11 years old and don't have money. My parents are paying for my £10 giffgaff goodybag. So it still free or do I have to top-up £10 just for one message ?
Mehroz
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If this can't be done , then I will have to go into an o2 mobile phone store 🏬 when it opens after lockdown or I will have to find another easy number from a different network maybe 🤔 like 👍🏼:
Vodafone, EE, LycaMobile, Lebara, Or Tesco. I'm So Upset 😭 With 02 Service
Just for over 15p they can't send me a PAC Code. When I've just spent £1 on the SIM
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Mehroz 

The SIM isn't active so no texts can be sent from it at all. Once activated, it is free to text that number.

Either way, you should be given the PAC when you call.

longitude
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My contract ends next June but I would like to pay off my device plan, give 30 days notice of leaving O2 and change to another company in January. Will I incur any charges? Just a bit confused because looking at my device plan it says "Extra payments will reduce the monthly cost of your Device Plan, but won’t shorten the length of your contract." Can anyone clarify the situation?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@longitude 

Just pay off the device plan fully and you can walk away immediately without any notice period or extra charges.

The part you quote is relevant to small overpayments on the device plan but not fully paying it off.

longitude
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks.pray

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Welcome

Kateinnewark
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This above directions to get your pac code once out of contact at does now work! The text service replies with ‘we can’t underpants your request’
Spending the night waiting on o2 useless customer service now
Kateinnewark
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
*Not work!
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Underpants yahoo

Love autocorrect wink

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Yes still laughing about that rofl

Tafkap
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi folks.  I'm averaging about £30 a month due to topping up my 2Gb  data allowance all the time.  I tried to negotiate a better deal but I'd still end up paying alot for not a great deal more data.

As my phone is paid off I want to move to a SIM only situation where I can pay maybe £10 for 15Gb.   I want to stay with 02. 

So..if I get a SIM, do I use the online form to keep my number and put in all the details and then have to speak to O2 to get my original contract cancelled?  Thanks for any advice..seems the way forward, to get a SIM only deal, right?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Tafkap 

You just upgrade to a sim only deal in your MyO2.

No need for number transfers or cancellations as it's all automatic.

upgrade2.JPG

Tafkap
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5, I'll give that a go!