Cancelling Your Contract - A Guide

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Welcome to the O2 Community!

If you need any advice, go ahead and create a forum post HERE

In light of a few recent threads popping up regarding issues with cancellation I thought it would be good to post this guide to cancellation which would guarantee a pain free cancellation without any issues.

Obviously it is regrettable if you are considering leaving O2 but if you have made the decision to leave, taking the following steps will ensure your termination is as painless as possible.

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

You can find an updated cancellation guide, including the PAC/STAC changes that came into place on 1st July 2019, here.

I am still within contract. Can I cancel?

You can cancel at any time but there will be a charge for this unless you are in an initial cooling offer period. If you are on O2 Refresh this charge will be the remaining balance on your phone plan which you can view in myO2. On any other tariff and the fee will be no more than your line rental multiplied by the number of months remaining on your contract. You will need to call up on 202 in order to cancel as on O2 refresh you will need to pay off your phone plan and on any other tariff you will need to pay your early termination fee and O2 may require the payment of this before they action your request in order to cover themselves if you try not to pay the ETF on your final bill.

You would also be advised to follow up your call with a recorded delivery letter just to make sure the request gets actioned

I want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

If you wish to retain your number you will need a PAC code from O2. This can be most easily obtained by calling 202 from your O2 mobile and following the prompts for thinking of leaving O2. Tell the operative you wish to leave and require a PAC code to keep your number. Chances are retentions may try and offer you something to stay but if you are persistent they should eventually issue a PAC although if there is an ETF or a phone plan to pay they may require payment of this before issuing the PAC. This code must be used within 30 days of issue or it will expire and you will need to request a new one.

Give the PAC code to your new network and the port should complete in a day or two. Once this happens your service with O2 will automatically terminate and a final bill will be generated. If you use your PAC before the expiration of your 30 day notice period you may find a charge on your final bill in lieu of notice for the remainder of your notice period.

As the use of the PAC code will terminate your account automatically, there is no reason to follow up the termination request with a recorded delivery letter.

Find out more about how to get your PAC code in our dedicated Guide, here.

I am out of contract and I don't want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

Because a PAC code will automatically terminate service, calling is best if you wish to keep your number. However, if you don't want to keep your number you should write a letter and send this by RECORDED DELIVERY to the following address:

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

If you want a template letter the following is a letter I've used to terminate in writing on 3 before (and believe me if you can avoid calling 3 to terminate you really want to) but is easily adaptable to O2 and other networks

[ADDRESS]

[DATE]

BY RECORDED DELIVERY

RE ACCOUNT NUMBER [ACCOUNT NUMBER] MOBILE NUMBER [MOBILE NUMBER]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to give the required 30 days notice to terminate my contract in respect of the above-referenced account/mobile number.

Please note that this letter has been sent by recorded delivery and therefore notice will be deemed to have been served from the date the letter has been confirmed signed for by Royal Mail. I do not wish to retain my mobile number and do not require a PAC code.

Please confirm IN WRITING that you have actioned my termination request and the date on which my service with you will terminate. I would also ask that you dispense with any retention activity. My decision regarding this termination is final and any attempt to call me to retain me will serve as an annoyance which may reduce the likelihood that I will return to O2 in the future

I look forward to receiving written confirmation of the ending of my contract

Yours Sincerely

[SIGNATURE AND YOUR NAME HERE]

Keep an eye on the tracking and make a note when the letter was signed for. Count forward 30 days from this date. This is the date your service should be terminated on. If there are any discrepancies between this and the date you are given you may need to make further contact and check the dates, pointing out that you have proof of when the notice was served. Barring any issues through your service should terminate 30 days from when the letter was received and a final bill will be issued.

Hope the above was helpful should you ever regrettably decide you wish to leave O2 (or indeed any other network)

196 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Leave it in place for a few months just incase and then you need to cancel it with your bank.
MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can leave it there forever if you wish.
It will just stay dormant as O2 will not call anymore money from it if account is closed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I've decided to leave O2 after many years, it's a big step! I've had such bad experiences with their customer service and I feel their charges are just too high. Ironically, when I called them to cancel, it took one hour on the phone. This backed up my point about poor customer service but they didn't get it. They said it was because of the iphone6 and they had 10 new staff on (wow) and things will be better in January..! I'm out of contract so I'm hoping that cancelling will be easy, but anything with O2 makes me nervous. 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just keep you eye on your My O2 to make sure it shows as disconnected. If you are taking your number to another network and using a PAC it will cancel the contract immediately anyway, so no worries in that case.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another piece of general advice is to not cancel any direct debit set up by O2 for a couple of months after you receive the zero bill just incase something slips through. If it did and your bank refused it this could lead to debt collection services being employed or at the extreeme a marker put on your Credit File which is a struggle to remove even if placed in error.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'm confused...

I've just realised that my contract ends 30th November 2014.  I don't want to upgrade or renew the contract and I'm not intending to keep the phone number.

If I write to O2 now to say I want to cancel the contract when it ends does that mean I will have to carry on paying for service past the end of the month because I don't have 30 days between now and the date my contract ends?

And if I just phone up for a PAC code then buy a cheap phone on pay as you go on the 30th (so I keep the number) does that mean that it will cancel the contract there & then and I won't have to have given any notice?

Sorry if this is already clearly explained but I've been through the whole thread and I'm obviously having a very dumb moment!

Thanks

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

At the end of your contract date it becomes a 30 day rolling contract. If you write to cancel then that is really all you need to do.

Please dont cancel any direct debit for a few weeks...just in case the account has incurred slight additional charges..:smileywink:

Just keep an eye on your MyO2 page and that will confirm contract has ended...

Anonymous
Not applicable
In principle you are correct. Your notice period will commence from the day you advise o2. I prefer to phone and tell them but be prepared for a wait. You will need to pay your service to the end of the notice period so we advise not canceling your direct debit until the final account is paid (we have dealt with horror stories in the past where people have been refused mortgages because of a small unpaid bill to o2).

If however you request a pac code from another provider you don't actually need a new phone. Before you ask for your pac ask for the unlocking code for your existing phone. This normally only takes a day or two. Follow the process to unlock your phone then ask for your pac. Your new network (can't be o2) will ask for your pac code and the day service transfers your o2 contract will end. O2 will send you a final bill. Please don't cancel your direct debit until this has been paid.

Then you are done! Happy days
MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
And then throw away the sim if you don't want to keep the number.
Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Must be a sign of the times. many people over the last few weeks talking about contract cancellation....leaving O2 to go to another network et al....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info

Anonymous
Not applicable
So many are talking about leaving o2 but customer numbers rising strongly each quarter so guess o2 can't be that bad. .....

Mmmmmm
jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

....They just lost both my P & G numbers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant. I will most certainly be following this advice. I ordered an LG G3 and an airtime upgrade on the promise that the phone would be delivered next day (my iPhone finally gave up the will to live and I needed a new phone urgently). 4 days later and there's no sign of the new phone. I called O2 and was told (this was recorded) that O2 salesmen lie about next day delivery in order to make a sale. I repeat - a member of O2 staff told me that, just this morning. I will not be accepting the phone if it ever does arrive and I will be moving from O2 unless they offer me a pretty amazing deal by way of an apology. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from O2.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: Is it true that at the end of your contract term it goes into a rolling monthly contract, which you can then end [straight at the beginning] with your PAC code? In that case you would only be charged for the very short period between going into new monthly contract and cancellation.

For example, my contract end 31/01/16, it will be a monthly rolling contract starting at 1st of Feb.

If I ask for a PAC code in the last week of January, then I can give this on the 1st or 2nd of Feb. to my new service provider and only pay for 1 or 2 days. Which will be on my final bill created on the 6th of Feb.

right?

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im trying to look into cancelling my contract and this guide is fantastic, however how do i find my renewal date (contract end) I cant fnd it on MY 02 where it keeps sending me. My upgrade is due on Jan 2016... help would be appreciated.

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sign into My O2 on a PC and it should give you a renewal date if you select upgrade options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you upgrade now, this will be added to your basket to pay today. Otherwise you'll finish paying for it through your monthly payments on 24 Jan 2016

Thats all it says regarding a date. Is this my upgrade date if i dont pay to upgrade now? Or is this my renewal date?

Feel a bit stupid

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your renewal date then is 24th January but if you upgrade before that it means you will have to make a payment of 7 months.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!! I shouldn't be allowed contracts. slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am having a nightmare cancelling my contract -

This has happened on several attempts to cancel my pay monthly contract:

Noone answers 202 - I am on hold for 20 minutes and then it hangs up!

Live chat is never avialable!

There is no 'cancel contract' option

My Bill date is in 2 days I want to speak to someone to pay and cancel - 30 days notice is not an option as since April they continue to keep me tied in with yet another increased bill for yet another month.

It should be made accessible and clear about how to cancel.

I will be taking this further as this is a very clever money grabbing system they are operating.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Call centres have been cut right back just lately but you must keep trying.
There is also an address to write into on the OP which I suggest you do also.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is very simple, if your contract for 2 years is expired, all you need to do is to choose who is your new provider, and it doesn't matter if it is a PAYG. Then ask your transfer code and transfer your number over.

The transfer code will cancel your monthly contract, but make sure you are no longer in a contract.

Don't cancel the direct debit as they will come a bit later with the final bill.

Hope that helps.

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

All of that ^^^^^^ is within the guide wink

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There is an option on 202 for leaving o2. You cannot cancel on live chat, they will only tell you to call customer service.  Two options only, write or call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's quite ridiculous, that you can do everything else APART from cancel your contract online. 

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree it would be a very useful option.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess it's because they want to try and talk people into staying.
jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I guess it's because they want to try and talk people into staying.

But if they won't answer the phone....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have a suggestion how to get someone to take me seriously please? A week ago I tried to cancel on live chat.  They took all manner of useless information telling me it was necessary.  I had to stop as I had a client to see.  

Today i rang 5 times, first four I was cut off after 15 minutes,  I have now just been on hold for 1 hour and 13 minutes only to suddenly get a recorded message saying they are now closed and call back tomorrow.  Unbelievably bad service,  how on earth can I get some action from them?

For info I am out of contract with them, and am seriously thinking of just stopping direct debit.  Please help!

thanks in anticipation.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You have to persevere with CS though. Best time to call is 8.15  -8.30am. Please do not cancel your direct debit until you have paid your final bill. it will have an adverse effect on your credit rating

Anonymous
Not applicable

Find a new provider. Ask for the PAC code and leave, that's all, the PAC code will cancel your contract!

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call 202, option 2 and zero immediately. Do not stop the direct debit. The only person who loses out is you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying to cancel my account for 2 weeks now. I call, I wait, I get cut off or the wait time is over 30 minutes!!!  I refuse to waste my time sitting waiting for O2 to answer a phone. The best time to call maybe 8-8:15 but I'm at work by then and don't have use of a phone. I try on and off most evenings!! Beyond any question this company is the worst I have ever had to deal with!!! I've been with them for nigh on 8 years but when I do eventually get the account cancelled I certainly won't be sorry. 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Send a recorded letter to cancel.....
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find a new provider.

Ask for the PAC code and leave, that's all, the PAC code will cancel your contract!

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah but you still need to contact cs to get PAC.
jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call 202 at 8am 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If not at work and able to.
jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If not at work and able to.

jonsie speak LOL

Tivvy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just used your template letter to cancel a contract. Great wording, but just a small point: when you put Dear Sir or Madam, you should sign it Yours faithfully.

Yours sincerely (lower case 's'), is used when you start the letter with Dear <Name>

Small detail but I think it's important to use the correct protocol, especially when dealing with legal matters.

🙂

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good point wink
Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Certainly makes it more professional....

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes always use faithfully unless you are writing to someone you know. Standard letter signing they teach you in school, well they taught me....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so you know, I found using 202 on my phone to be the quickest way to do this. I only had to wait for 5 minutes, having been held for 40 minutes for a chat and on land line respectively.

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Never use live chat for cancellations!
jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can't cancel via live chat, they will tell you to call 202. However, contract customers can get a PAC from chat and using it will cancel your contract. It's important you don't cancel any direct debit until the final bill has been produced. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok unless im reading it all wrong, i was paying for a sim/contract i wasnt using, so gave the sim to my sister (i have 2 accounts with o2) so my sisters sim was origionaly for a 24 month contract which ran out in October, yet i am still being billed for it, although there has been no use of any data/txt absolutely nothing, yet im still billed the monthly tarif (this was sim only) so, now i am attemting to make sure it is canceled as contractually i agreed to 24months, not a rolling contract after it - and it is obviously not being used - ie the sim isnt even in the phone anymore for 2 months, so reading above, ive readd it goes onto be a 30 day rolling contract, and on another post i read e: Cancelling Your Contract - A Guide [ New ] Options on ‎04-11-2014 11:44 You can leave it there forever if you wish. It will just stay dormant as O2 will not call anymore money from it if account is closed. so which is it? it seems extremely bad customer service not to be able to cancel on-line, nor able to email to make sure it is cancelled and not automatically renewed! also, why should we keep a direct debit set up for something that we didn't agree to - ie 26 or 27 month contract, and it just continuing when the only way they will accept cancellation is telephone?? i work 12 hour shifts, the last thing i want to do is have to call etc, everything is on-line , why isn't a nice smooth exit? ive been with O2 for absolutely years, and i've not had to do this in the past, its just stopped,personally i think its a sly way of getting money of people. and also the comment above, "you can leave it it will just show disconnected - is true, but affects your future applications ie the phone will remain showing as if your paying each month albeit it is nil and showing paid off, they wont allow you to upgrade until that contract and phone dissapear of your account, i should know as i had pone i paid off completely (never even had as i cancelled it within 10 days due to the wrong phone being sent to the local o2 store) yet i was not able to upgrade for 2 years and nothing i did or spoke to (even this forum) managed to get it removed, until after the 2 year period, when i finally got my z3! O2 is not what it was years ago. now it looks like i am also being encouraged to have to write?? and discouraged to cancel the direct debit for something we have advised do not wish to continue with and is all paid up?? for about 3 months?? that could be as much as the average price for most contracts nowadays of around £60 pounds? who these days has an extra 20 they don't mind throwing out, and have to go through trying to claim back?? why would that be recommended as the way forward? that doesn't make any sense. why pay for something youll not want and are not using, only to know you'll then have to go and attempt to claim it back? its not even gambling, as there is no way in which you may come out on top of that situation frustrated customer who wished had not been charged the £45.76 for Oct and Nov 😞 - and has a Dec payment pending to come out already - and has had no courtesy call form O2 or any email or letter to advise or remind me of the situation.