Cancelling Your Contract - A Guide

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Welcome to the O2 Community!

If you need any advice, go ahead and create a forum post HERE

In light of a few recent threads popping up regarding issues with cancellation I thought it would be good to post this guide to cancellation which would guarantee a pain free cancellation without any issues.

Obviously it is regrettable if you are considering leaving O2 but if you have made the decision to leave, taking the following steps will ensure your termination is as painless as possible.

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

You can find an updated cancellation guide, including the PAC/STAC changes that came into place on 1st July 2019, here.

I am still within contract. Can I cancel?

You can cancel at any time but there will be a charge for this unless you are in an initial cooling offer period. If you are on O2 Refresh this charge will be the remaining balance on your phone plan which you can view in myO2. On any other tariff and the fee will be no more than your line rental multiplied by the number of months remaining on your contract. You will need to call up on 202 in order to cancel as on O2 refresh you will need to pay off your phone plan and on any other tariff you will need to pay your early termination fee and O2 may require the payment of this before they action your request in order to cover themselves if you try not to pay the ETF on your final bill.

You would also be advised to follow up your call with a recorded delivery letter just to make sure the request gets actioned

I want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

If you wish to retain your number you will need a PAC code from O2. This can be most easily obtained by calling 202 from your O2 mobile and following the prompts for thinking of leaving O2. Tell the operative you wish to leave and require a PAC code to keep your number. Chances are retentions may try and offer you something to stay but if you are persistent they should eventually issue a PAC although if there is an ETF or a phone plan to pay they may require payment of this before issuing the PAC. This code must be used within 30 days of issue or it will expire and you will need to request a new one.

Give the PAC code to your new network and the port should complete in a day or two. Once this happens your service with O2 will automatically terminate and a final bill will be generated. If you use your PAC before the expiration of your 30 day notice period you may find a charge on your final bill in lieu of notice for the remainder of your notice period.

As the use of the PAC code will terminate your account automatically, there is no reason to follow up the termination request with a recorded delivery letter.

Find out more about how to get your PAC code in our dedicated Guide, here.

I am out of contract and I don't want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

Because a PAC code will automatically terminate service, calling is best if you wish to keep your number. However, if you don't want to keep your number you should write a letter and send this by RECORDED DELIVERY to the following address:

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

If you want a template letter the following is a letter I've used to terminate in writing on 3 before (and believe me if you can avoid calling 3 to terminate you really want to) but is easily adaptable to O2 and other networks

[ADDRESS]

[DATE]

BY RECORDED DELIVERY

RE ACCOUNT NUMBER [ACCOUNT NUMBER] MOBILE NUMBER [MOBILE NUMBER]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to give the required 30 days notice to terminate my contract in respect of the above-referenced account/mobile number.

Please note that this letter has been sent by recorded delivery and therefore notice will be deemed to have been served from the date the letter has been confirmed signed for by Royal Mail. I do not wish to retain my mobile number and do not require a PAC code.

Please confirm IN WRITING that you have actioned my termination request and the date on which my service with you will terminate. I would also ask that you dispense with any retention activity. My decision regarding this termination is final and any attempt to call me to retain me will serve as an annoyance which may reduce the likelihood that I will return to O2 in the future

I look forward to receiving written confirmation of the ending of my contract

Yours Sincerely

[SIGNATURE AND YOUR NAME HERE]

Keep an eye on the tracking and make a note when the letter was signed for. Count forward 30 days from this date. This is the date your service should be terminated on. If there are any discrepancies between this and the date you are given you may need to make further contact and check the dates, pointing out that you have proof of when the notice was served. Barring any issues through your service should terminate 30 days from when the letter was received and a final bill will be issued.

Hope the above was helpful should you ever regrettably decide you wish to leave O2 (or indeed any other network)

196 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome.

@Toby can this be added to the others ?
Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

A fantastic guide Dave!

Well done. Everyone should feel very comfortable using this as a reference and I'll see if I can include it in the featured guides list like I am with some others in the near future when we alter the home-page slightly.

EDIT: Hey BoB, that's what I intend yes, but I'll share more on that stuff when I have some more detailed info wink

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Good job Dave slight_smile
davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Thanks guys. I thought it may be handy as we'd had a lot of threads of people having issues from terminating and this thread may prevent those in the future.

I've just made a few edits to the original post to clarify a few points a bit more and make a couple of corrections to spelling and grammar

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Just bumping this. I think a few people may need to be referring to it quite soon wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is still one thing which I don't understand.

We need to provide 30 days' notice for cancelling a contract, but if the PAC code is used within this 30 day's period, then we incur an early termination charge!

For example, my contract ends on 29/08/15. My billing date is the 1st of the month. I am on a good cashback deal with mobiles.co.uk, so I don't want to go beyond the 24 months. I would like to keep my number. So if I give my 30 days' notice by ringing up on 30/07/15, I will recieve my PAC code which will last until 29/08/15. If I use this PAC code on 27/08/15, I will incur an early termination charge. Instead, if I ring on 01/08/15, my PAC code will last until 31/08/15. If I use this PAC code on 29/08/15, I will still incur an early termination charge because although my contract has ended, I have used the PAC code within the 30 days' notice.

I have this problem everytime I take out a 24 month contract. With Orange and T-Mobile, I managed to get a refund after a lot of arguing. Talkmobile were excellent and they didn't charge as I explained what I was planning to do when I requested the PAC code.

I'm not sure what O2 will do. Any advice?

MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
First off you don't need to give notice. Using the PAC cancels the contract.
In your case, use your PAC on 28/08/15. You bill will still be generated on 01/09/15 but you will be refunded once the system catches up.
You will get an email stating you are in credit and a link to follow to get the amount refunded to your bank account.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used this template to write a letter giving 30 days notice, when I went to the post office to post it recorded the post mistress told me it was pointless sending it recorded as the address is to a PO Box which by design is unmanned, therefore no-one would sign for it. So I sent it by first class anyway, two weeks later no response from O2! No surprise there! So I started a live chat this morning explaining I had written them a letter to cancel and was told that the ONLY ways to cancel were by phone or live chat. So basically the information given in this post is incorrect and misleading. Cancelling by chat is easy and quick so my advice would be to disregard this topic and chat to them for free to cancel your contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would say that cancelling by phone is the first and best way and record the date , time and agents name.

Followed up by a letter.

It's not in my eyes misleading but a good suggestion to back up ones phone call.
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
The advice we give on here is usually based on years of experience and knowledge and not a one off piece of unproven information.
davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I used this template to write a letter giving 30 days notice, when I went to the post office to post it recorded the post mistress told me it was pointless sending it recorded as the address is to a PO Box which by design is unmanned, therefore no-one would sign for it. So I sent it by first class anyway, two weeks later no response from O2! No surprise there! So I started a live chat this morning explaining I had written them a letter to cancel and was told that the ONLY ways to cancel were by phone or live chat. So basically the information given in this post is incorrect and misleading. Cancelling by chat is easy and quick so my advice would be to disregard this topic and chat to them for free to cancel your contract.

Recorded letters sent to post office boxes do still get signed for. Royal mails website suggests this happens on collection (http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatch-low/uk-delivery/po-box) although it may also happen on delivery as I've had proof of delivery on many letters sent to PO Boxes pretty quickly and quicker than I would expect if mail was being collected from the PO Box. Either way you obtain the important proof of delivery which as demonstrated from the fact that your letter was "lost" is very important when terminating. These letters frequently get "lost" in the post and sending by recorded delivery protects against this as you have proof of delivery

We also have another example of misinformation from live chat. Check a few threads out here and you'll see that they aren't recommended for anything but basic queries (such as what day of the week it is or 1+3=?). I hope you screen grabbed your conversation as proof because there is a definite chance that your cancellation has not been actioned. The same can happen when phoning because again there is zero proof of the cancellation request. Also O2 may prefer you to cancel by live chat or by phone because it gives them a chance to try and retain you but these are not the only methods by which you can cancel. They cannot ignore a written request to cancel (and indeed didn't ignore one when I sent a letter terminating my account with O2 following price rises for all) especially when you have proof of delivery. You could also terminate by email, telegram, carrier pidgeon, smoke signals or any other method of your choosing as long as you have proof the termination request was received. A recorded delivery letter is probably the easiest way of getting this proof though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My O2 account says 
"you can wait until the 18th August 2014 to upgrade for free."

I wish to leave O2 after this contract has expired but what happens after the 18th? Does O2 continue my contract indefinitly or do they cut me off?

If they don't cut me off at what point can I say "I don't want this anymore stop charging me? "

Thanks,

Craig

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Either give 30 days notice or use a PAC code from 02 and this will cease your contract when another network uses it. 

If you do nothing you'll drop onto a 30 day rolling contract. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info x

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

slight_smile
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

If you mention @davethorp he will see your thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if i cancel my O2 refresh contract and move somewhere else and I get my PAC code do I still have to give 30 days notice .
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
No, the use of your PAC immediately cancels your contract and you will then receive a final bill which covers the length of contract duration remaining.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gonna pay off my phone on O2 refresh and leave O2 . Which is best way to do it . Is it to ring up or do it online if you can that is . Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd ring O2 on 202 to do this and be sure to say your cancelling the airtime plan too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought if I payed off the O2 refresh phone plan the airtime plan would stop until I took out new phone plan .
Anonymous
Not applicable
No it would carry on and your dd payment would reduce by the handset plan cost.

You have to tell them you want to cancel the airtime or drop onto a rolling sim only or payg
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Request your PAC of you want to keep your number. Use it and that will effectively end your contact.

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Then expect the system to mess up and issue you with a final bill for the full amount..... !!
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Then expect the system to mess up and issue you with a final bill for the full amount..... !!

Ouch D'oh!

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Yeah you need to call up to pay off a refresh plan. You can request a PAC at the same time if keeping a number. If not give notice in writing by recorded delivery as per this guide after you have paid off the refresh plan.

I must have gotten lucky when I cancelled mine as my final bill was correct

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just told by 'Rajesh' on Live Chat that I can't cancel through writing a letter, I have to do it through phoning or Live Chat. Is he wrong?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Live chat are outsourced non uk call centres who are typically fine for low level non account issues.

You can't send a recorded letter as it's a PO Box but it's always better IMO to send as much communication as possible.

If one is using a PAC code then theirs no need for a letter.
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
The guide on here is more accurate than live chat, however, I would advise both a phone call and then follow up with a letter. That is assuming you don't want to keep your number?
If you do want your number, using your PAC will cancel your contract immediately anyway.
davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You can't send a recorded letter as it's a PO Box

Yes you can

Q3 on the FAQ

http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatch-low/uk-delivery/po-box

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @davethorp

I was going by the post by author roobsterdoo on 14 June ,and what they were told by the Post Office.
davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Thought you might have been. I think they were misinformed though as the information on PO Boxes on Royal Mail's website seems to refute what they were told

Plus I've had proof of delivery on many letters I've sent recorded including ones to O2 and Three's PO Box

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair enough.

If it was me I'd still send it as a signature required.
Arken
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why do we still need to write letters? an email is a legal document...can't we just phone and follow up with an email?

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 no longer have a working e mail contact address unfortunately:(
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Strictly speaking, a letter isn't really necessary if the adviser carries out your instructions. I recently closed a business account and a normal account over the phone without problems. Checking MyO2 will confirm account closure.

A letter is however written proof of your request and is ok for confirmation. As I say it wasn't necessary in my case

MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Arken wrote:

Why do we still need to write letters? an email is a legal document...can't we just phone and follow up with an email?

Entirely your choice to do whatever you are comfortable with.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still can't understand why I can't end my contract early online or in store?!? It took me 98 minutes on hold tonight before I could find out if there would be an early cancellation fee! If I have to wait that long to cancel, the poor call centre staff will be getting an ear full!
MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Not the fault of call centre staff though is it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think because :

People get confused already when upgrading online and can end up opening up a new contract instead of upgrading so heavens knows what would happen if cancelling a contract became available.

Stores want people visiting them to open up contracts / upgrading / buying accessories and topping up not cancelling contracts. A negative part of the business for them.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Given the problems with online chat it's best that they don't handle account closures. Always best to speak to someone. The problem is that the lines are so busy at the moment but at normal times the process is straightforward. There is certainly no need to take issue with the adviser, it's hardly their fault they are inundted with iphone related queries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after receiving a cancellation letter do they act upon it? Mine was signed for last week, yet I've had no response and my account still looks active. Thanks for any information. Trying to leave has been an utter nightmare.

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

I would say anything over 72 hours is far too long and unreasonable for actioning recorded mail. Personally I would be calling 202.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How long after receiving a cancellation letter do they act upon it? Mine was signed for last week, yet I've had no response and my account still looks active. Thanks for any information. Trying to leave has been an utter nightmare.

Did you speak to Customer Services too or have just sent the recorded letter ?

if you want to perhaps retain your mobile number to migrate to another Network,then asking for a PAC Code and using it within 30 days will effectively cancel your contract, if that's a help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to you both. I've tried numerous times to get through via the phone, but I'm not waiting over an hour on hold, as I was each time I attempted it, hence the letter as a last resort. I tried on live chat to do it, but the guy I was dealing with said it wasn't possible, and I couldn't get through on chat because they were all busy dealing with new iPhone questions, which really didn't impress me much (as Shania might say)

In My O2 it shows my balance as £0.0 - could that mean it is in the process of being wound up? My final bill is due in early November.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope the cancellation happens for you as it should.

Something that is connected to this and advised is not to be tempted to cancel your Direct Debit until you are 100% certain. Usually leaving it in place for 3 months or so maybe.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

It is possible that the process has started but only customer service can really answer that. You could try live chat to find out the status of the account. They should be able to see on their system.

MI5
  • 143187 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
You won't see any changes in your My O2 as your account will still be active during the 30 day notice period. It's only after this time that it will change to say "disconnected account".
You do still need to confirm with CS that it has been actioned on the system though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody.

What I need to do with Direct Debit when O2 take today last payment. My contract finished on 20th October. 

I need to cancel DirectDebit or O2 will be cancel automatically this ?