Cancelling Your Contract - A Guide

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Welcome to the O2 Community!

If you need any advice, go ahead and create a forum post HERE

In light of a few recent threads popping up regarding issues with cancellation I thought it would be good to post this guide to cancellation which would guarantee a pain free cancellation without any issues.

Obviously it is regrettable if you are considering leaving O2 but if you have made the decision to leave, taking the following steps will ensure your termination is as painless as possible.

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

You can find an updated cancellation guide, including the PAC/STAC changes that came into place on 1st July 2019, here.

I am still within contract. Can I cancel?

You can cancel at any time but there will be a charge for this unless you are in an initial cooling offer period. If you are on O2 Refresh this charge will be the remaining balance on your phone plan which you can view in myO2. On any other tariff and the fee will be no more than your line rental multiplied by the number of months remaining on your contract. You will need to call up on 202 in order to cancel as on O2 refresh you will need to pay off your phone plan and on any other tariff you will need to pay your early termination fee and O2 may require the payment of this before they action your request in order to cover themselves if you try not to pay the ETF on your final bill.

You would also be advised to follow up your call with a recorded delivery letter just to make sure the request gets actioned

I want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

If you wish to retain your number you will need a PAC code from O2. This can be most easily obtained by calling 202 from your O2 mobile and following the prompts for thinking of leaving O2. Tell the operative you wish to leave and require a PAC code to keep your number. Chances are retentions may try and offer you something to stay but if you are persistent they should eventually issue a PAC although if there is an ETF or a phone plan to pay they may require payment of this before issuing the PAC. This code must be used within 30 days of issue or it will expire and you will need to request a new one.

Give the PAC code to your new network and the port should complete in a day or two. Once this happens your service with O2 will automatically terminate and a final bill will be generated. If you use your PAC before the expiration of your 30 day notice period you may find a charge on your final bill in lieu of notice for the remainder of your notice period.

As the use of the PAC code will terminate your account automatically, there is no reason to follow up the termination request with a recorded delivery letter.

Find out more about how to get your PAC code in our dedicated Guide, here.

I am out of contract and I don't want to keep my number. How should I cancel?

Because a PAC code will automatically terminate service, calling is best if you wish to keep your number. However, if you don't want to keep your number you should write a letter and send this by RECORDED DELIVERY to the following address:

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

If you want a template letter the following is a letter I've used to terminate in writing on 3 before (and believe me if you can avoid calling 3 to terminate you really want to) but is easily adaptable to O2 and other networks

[ADDRESS]

[DATE]

BY RECORDED DELIVERY

RE ACCOUNT NUMBER [ACCOUNT NUMBER] MOBILE NUMBER [MOBILE NUMBER]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to give the required 30 days notice to terminate my contract in respect of the above-referenced account/mobile number.

Please note that this letter has been sent by recorded delivery and therefore notice will be deemed to have been served from the date the letter has been confirmed signed for by Royal Mail. I do not wish to retain my mobile number and do not require a PAC code.

Please confirm IN WRITING that you have actioned my termination request and the date on which my service with you will terminate. I would also ask that you dispense with any retention activity. My decision regarding this termination is final and any attempt to call me to retain me will serve as an annoyance which may reduce the likelihood that I will return to O2 in the future

I look forward to receiving written confirmation of the ending of my contract

Yours Sincerely

[SIGNATURE AND YOUR NAME HERE]

Keep an eye on the tracking and make a note when the letter was signed for. Count forward 30 days from this date. This is the date your service should be terminated on. If there are any discrepancies between this and the date you are given you may need to make further contact and check the dates, pointing out that you have proof of when the notice was served. Barring any issues through your service should terminate 30 days from when the letter was received and a final bill will be issued.

Hope the above was helpful should you ever regrettably decide you wish to leave O2 (or indeed any other network)

196 Comments
jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

There terms and conditions state you must give 30 days notice to cancel your account. It does roll over to a monthly contract after the initial contract expired and the various ways terminate the contract are in the link.

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
All contracts revert to rolling 30 days unless cancelled.
Call or write in or you will paying it forever.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know why it has to be exactly 30 days? Why can't I call up 31 days before? I called last week and they said I could give notice whenever but when I tried to do so today They said I have to ring on Xmas day between 10-4 which tbh isn't very convenient with 2 small children...
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know why it has to be exactly 30 days? Why can't I call up 31 days before? I called last week and they said I could give notice whenever but when I tried to do so today They said I have to ring on Xmas day between 10-4 which tbh isn't very convenient with 2 small children...

See your other post.

Cleoriff
  • 122120 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As I explained in your other post @Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wondering if someone can advise me a little please? I have a second O2 contract taken out via CPW that I would like to cancel. This number in MyO2 is offering me the option to upgrade to O2 Refresh. If I do this, would I be able to just pay this fee and then cancel the airtime component to end the contract altogether? Or would I need to pay the monthly balance multipled by the remaining months on the contract to end it? Cheers.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

You would need to pay off the remainder of the contract including airtime as this isn't a Refresh contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I presume the lower fee being offered by the MyO2 portal to move to O2 Refresh on this contract would mean I need to take another contract out then and order a phone? Why would it offer this for an existing non Refresh contract?
Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

No, this fee showing in the myO2 is your discounted upgrade fee if you move to a refresh plan. IIRC this may increase if you upgrade via a third party.

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Why would it offer this for an existing non Refresh contract?

It's an incentive to upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, also released I'd missed the 25% discount on the remaining line rental that's offered too. Makes sense now. Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another angle.

Having waded through the 12 pages of this topic (for which many thanks to all involved) there is another point I would like to ask about.    I was given a Lumia 435 (or rather won it in a raffle at my grandchildren's school!) nearly a year ago.    It came with a PAYG International SIM.      I have no real problems with O2 but unfortunately there is absolutely no O2 reception in my village (despite what it says on the O2 coverage web site) and so I shall be looking to change providers when I can unlock it in May.

As a Pay & Go customer there is of course no contract to cancel, but I would like to keep the number.   Is the procedure for obtaining a PAC as described above the same in those circumstances? 

Also, will I be able to get a refund on any credit left in my account, or must I be careful to run it down just before the change over?

Thanks.

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
To get your PAC you need to call 4445 and request it from CS.
Credit cannot be refunded so must be used prior to leaving but remember to keep some back for your call to CS (25p per call).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks MI5.

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the community. I'm Toby, the community. Its a shame that you'll be leaving us, but good signal important after all! 

Where are you based roughly? I can feed this information back to the network in the hope that we can improvements in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Toby.   I am about 5 miles south of Daventry on the A361.    The O2 coverage checker says that I should have dood coverage outdoors and patchy coverage indoors.    In fact I have neither - though occasionally late at night if I hang out of a bedroom window (not something I do very often!) I get the odd bar or two on the phone but not sufficient to make a call or text.     So while the phone is fine when away from home, and I used it abroad last autumn, and while I have no problems in principle with O2, a phone which I cannt use at home is less than useful.

My wife has a Vergin phone which is fine here and I understand from others that EE works too, so I shall probably go for one of those.

Maybe if I offered to allow O2 to put a mast on my roof we might be able to serve the whole village!

Cleoriff
  • 122120 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe if I offered to allow O2 to put a mast on my roof we might be able to serve the whole village!

What a good idea @Anonymous. O2 may pay you as well....:smileywink:

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Good luck with planning permission slight_smile
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Just disguise it as a satellite dish.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got a 24 month contract with O2 (pay monthly), I'm now halfway through  (1year in July), I understand in order to cancel my contract with O2 I would need to pay the remainder of my device plan (which is pretty clear how much it is).

Now the tariff is £13.67 pcm, and with 12 months remaining anyone knows how much I would have to pay to terminate the contract before the 12 months end?

Thanks in advance.

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Just the device plan. You can then choose to cancel your airtime with one month's notice or keep it going for as long as you want at 13.67 a month and cancel at any time in the future (by giving notice).
Anonymous
Not applicable
I moved to EE from O2 at the start of the month (07-July) but I have been charged my full month for 01 Jul 16 - 31 Jul 16.

I would have thought I would get some money back. Specially as the contract was paid a month in advance two years ago?
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I moved to EE from O2 at the start of the month (07-July) but I have been charged my full month for 01 Jul 16 - 31 Jul 16.

I would have thought I would get some money back. Specially as the contract was paid a month in advance two years ago?

Once your My O2 has settled down it will show that you are in credit.

At such time you can submit this form for a refund of what's owed to you https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once your My O2 has settled down it will show that you are in credit.

At such time you can submit this form for a refund of what's owed to you https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=34

Ok. I went down the PAC code route. So I got the code on the 8th. I used it the same day with Carphone Warehouse with EE which switched the number over on the 12th. So it cancelled the o2 contract on the 12th, but I see mentioned about 30 days notice so it crossed my mind that I would up paying for this month as the notice period (even though I paid a month in advance at the start).

Guess I'll wait and see. When I log in it is showing my account as disconnected. 

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Just wait until after the next (theoretical) billing date and it will show what you are owed as a minus figure in your MyO2.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hopefully it will be you

Anonymous
Not applicable

In November 2015 I rang O2 to terminate my account. I was given the pac code and told my account was now closed. As the number my new provider gave me was a very easily-remembered one I decided not to port across my old number, so did not use the pac code.

Now, 10 months later, I discover that O2 have continued to take monthly payments from my bank account. I rang to complain and their stance is that the only way the account could have been terminated was for my new provider to activate the pac code. My failure to pass the code to the new provider is the reason this has happened, it's my fault and they won't refund the money they've plundered.

The advisor I spoke to told me she had closed the account. I was not told that if the pac code was not used then the account would remain open.

Is this right? Surely the function of the code is simply to authorise the porting of one's existing number. What if I did not have a new provider? Maybe I had been given a mobile by my employer. Maybe I was going abroad. Maybe I just decided not to have a mobile phone!

I asked that a supervisor listen to the phone call in which I was told my account was closed. I was told that O2 do not keep recordings beyond 6 months.

They have taken £115.60 from my account. How do I even know that will not continue? If the advisor was unable to close my account in November, as they claim, how can I know they have this time? I have no pac code to give them!

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Use the complaints link in here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick question as the online agent option is disabled to me currently.

I'm approaching the end of my 24 month contract on 22nd April 2017 and don't wish to renew or keep my number. 

I know i have to give 30 days notice to cancel, but wish to know from which date i can do so without occuring fees. 

Is the date 22nd April or 23rd March when i can call to call without being charged fees?

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
One month before the end of your contract as you still have to pay the final month anyway.
Cleoriff
  • 122120 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

If you want your contract to end on the date specified than you give 30 days notice... 30 days before the end of contract...(March in your case...)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MI5
I wonder if you can help me
I opened a 24 month contract with O2 through a Samsung store and they said I could cancel my contract whenever I needed without having to pay any charges
I am leaving for Australia at the end of April for 2 years
I have just spoken in live chat to O2 and they are charging me the additional 18months of my contract
I have read almost all of this thread and I'm still a little confused
Can I write to them and cancel with 30 days notice and do not use the PUC code within 30 days of them receiving my letter I don't need to pay the rest of my contract? Is that correct?
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi MI5
I wonder if you can help me
I opened a 24 month contract with O2 through a Samsung store and they said I could cancel my contract whenever I needed without having to pay any charges
I am leaving for Australia at the end of April for 2 years
I have just spoken in live chat to O2 and they are charging me the additional 18months of my contract
I have read almost all of this thread and I'm still a little confused
Can I write to them and cancel with 30 days notice and do not use the PUC code within 30 days of them receiving my letter I don't need to pay the rest of my contract? Is that correct?

Unfortunately @Anonymous you have been misled or misunderstood what you have been told.

You cannot just cancel and walk away from your contract.

You need to either complete the minimum term in monthly instalments or pay it all off in one go.

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous you also need to take this up with the samsung store for missing a contract as it was them not o2 the deceived you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi quick question, my contract runs out on the 11th I have a PAC number I asked when best it was to use the number and they said use it on the 11th to avoid early leaving charges just checking if this is correct? Thanks 

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I'd go for it a couple of days beforehand personally.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's what I was thinking cause it takes a day to swap over right?

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Yeah a day or 2 usually.
Just don't request it on a Friday or else it won't go through until the following Tuesday.
kamalaggi
Level 4: Observant
  • 47 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I just bought a new contract from mobiles.co.uk as my wifes phone is dying and she can have my current phone.

I still have 3 months remaining on my current contract.

Is it possible to cancel my current contract (pay off early termination fee) and move my number to my new contract?

My new contract won't start till my Sony Xperia XZ Premium is shipped on the 2nd of June.

Both contracts are on O2 by the way.

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Yes it is possible.
When you get your new phone just call o2 on 202 from your phone and ask them to transfer your number. This will automatically cancel your current contract and generate your final bill which will include the settlement figure.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I moved abroad for work on a temporary contract in the Caribbean at the beginning of the year, but kept my contract running at the lowest rate in case I came back. In February after repeated issues with online chat, I phoned O2 at great expense (£1.50 a minute) to report my phone stolen. It took many attempts and a long time on hold to get through. I reported the phone stolen but after yet another extended time on hold the agent informed me they couldn't get through and suggested I call another time to cancel the contract. Easier said than done given not only the time difference but also the fact that I had just spent the equivalent of a year's contract in call charges just to report the phone stolen. I hasten to add that I did try emailing too, using the address O2 provide at the bottom of the bill email, only to receive an automatic response saying that the email service has been shut down. O2 never sent a new SIM card to the address registered to my account yet 4 months later they continue to bill me and I continue to be unable to get through to them by chat or phone. The latter either rings out, cuts off or puts me in a queue for far longer than I can afford (at £1.50 per minute).

I am at my witts end and considering a complaint to the regulator, as at least this is cheaper and easier to do, and might get a result quicker than trying to get through to O2.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I should add that my contract term ended over a year ago so I was already on a rolling contract.
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
You can send a letter the old fashioned way, details are in the first post of this thread, but calling o2 is free from abroad from your o2 phone so why are you paying £1.50 pm ?
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Anonymous
Not applicable
Because as I mentioned earlier, my phone and sim card were stolen in February
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the link I will try writing although no recorded delivery here and it's going to take at least 3 weeks to get there. slight_smile
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Because as I mentioned earlier, my phone and sim card were stolen in February

Oooops so you did, apologies Smiley Embarassed

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just for info, whilst posting on here I have found an electronic alternative today and O2 have already acknowledged and confirmed they will investigate and respond in 10 working days. This link might be helpful to others who work abroad like me so posting it: https://www.resolver.co.uk/?utm_source=RES_email&utm_medium=button&utm_campaign=welcome ... Worked like a charm!
MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Others have reported good results with resolver too, but as it's a complaints process, it shouldn't be used for general enquiries.
O2 link to it from their own complaints link which can be found on the contact link I posted above.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Not sure why they responded unless you were making a complaint... 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous it is a complaint.

Forcing folk through this manual process is unreasonable in general circumstances let alone urgent ones such as was the case with me.

The process so far has been:
1. From a 'contact us' email link on Feb 10th (that still shows in my bill notification emails now): "If you have a query about your service please visit www.o2.co.uk/help or email us at mailto:mycare@o2mail.co.uk where it will receive our attention" and receiving a bounce-back email announcing email support is shut down and directing me to online chat;
2. Online chat usually stuck trying to find an agent. When I eventually got through I was told I couldn't do this via chat I had to call (which clearly at £1.50 a minute is a last resort knowing you will on hold for a long time and there's a good chance you will be cut off and have to start over);
3. You make the dreaded call and... [repeat latter part of #2 above];
4. You eventually get through to a human being who sympathetically takes you through the process of reporting stolen phone saying they'll arrange for a new SIM to be sent out, etc. I say my term is ended, on a rolling contract, now I am abroad want to cancel. Agent now has to put me through to cancellations team. Puts me on hold;
5. Still on hold a considerable time later (For context, I am at work in a new job, on probation using the work's phone in the Caribbean to call a premium cost number in the UK to report my phone stolen and cancel contract). Agent finally tells me I will have to call back, and on checking the call charges from my location, clearly felt bad for me;
6. We are 5-6 hrs behind the UK here, but I call and call when I can between work commitments but always seems to either get cut off or I never seem to get through the queue;
7. Still haven't got through and still being billed 4 months later, even though they clearly have acknowledged my cancellation by not sending out a replacement SIM card.
8. I resorted to Resolver rather than put my faith in yet another manual process and risk waiting another 3+ weeks for a letter to reach O2, and then (if actioned) another 30 days to end the contract.

All this could be easily resolved if:

A. There was a simple electronic process to cancel your contract, report phone theft, etc. online; and/or
B. Better still if the agent I reported the theft to in Feb was able to accept and pass on my instruction to the cancellations team, after it became apparent (after another lengthy delay) that my call could not be transferred. All of this should be capable of being dealt with on my first call.