cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does the sales description for the various devices not say that "call blocking" is not available on O2, except for Samsung who have this function in their software. Sorry the old "it is too complicated to introduce is just waffle., they could if theyt wanted to, and to say change number is stupid, I have had the same number from cellnet/O2 for 17 years in one form or another, so please give customers what they want not what you can supply at zero cost, like dum reward points.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 have a service to deal with this if you're serious about it and prepared for the police to be involved:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/safetycontrolandaccess/nuisancephonecalls

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
If you have an android phone you can use this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netqin.mm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDE...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not really the answer, perhaps O2 should tell the manufacturers to include the facility in their software, or they will not handle their product, this may get a response.The numbers I want to block are those useless sales calls when I am roaming round the world, they cost me money.
Message 4 of 33

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
What you are talking about is not specifically an O2 issue nor is it a handset issue. You can join the TPS to prevent these scumbags from bothering you though....
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately scumbag operators do not adhere to the guidelines eg keeping a database of numbers not to call (i.e. those registered by TPS), referring to that database before calling numbers and lastly keeping the database up to date because it is a costly exercise.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contactfaq.php

"TPS is not a call blocking or baring service and there is no physical presence on the telephone line. Numbers registered with TPS are placed on the national 'Do Not Call' register and organisations engaging in unsolicited direct marketing calls are obliged under the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 to screen their data against the TPS and must not make an unsolicited direct marketing call to any number registered with TPS."

Also :

"Registration with TPS does not stop all unwanted calls. The remit of TPS lies strictly within the boundaries of live unsolicited direct marketing calls. A call is considered to fall within the TPS remit if it is unsolicited, relates to the sale or marketing of a product or service during a live telephone conversation. 

Recorded and automated sales calls including silent calls do not fall within the remit of TPS. TPS does not stop other call types such as market research, debt collection, scam calls and general nuisance calls. 

Please see question relating to the call type you are receiving for detailed information of the regulatory bodies responsible. TPS does not investigate complaints relating to call types not within its remit. 

If you have received a live unsolicited direct marketing call to a telephone number registered with TPS and wish for TPS to investigate please log a complaint by completing a complaint form on the complaint section of the home page. TPS does not have the facility to track or trace telephone lines, as such, we do not know who has called you. As a minimum please identify the organisation, supply the date and time of the call and the element of sales/marketing that occurred during the live call. 

If you have not logged details of the call(s) received and cannot identify the company against whom you wish to complain, it is unlikely that the TPS will be able to investigate."

Message 6 of 33

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes I'm afraid the TPS is a bit of a toothless body. I have been a registered member for the last 5-6 years and still get my share of calls from these marketing companies. Although I do have to say that when I mention TPS to these companies I don't usually get further calls from that particular company.

Message 7 of 33

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It was suggested as a "better than nothing" alternative to the problem in question. It is impossible for any phone or network to do what the OP wants as the numbers these companies use are so varied (0800, 0845 and even STD codes), so you would end up blocking every single phone call !!!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't say they were toothless.

They compile a report each month to send to the Direct Marketing Association which highlights those companies that are the subject of complaints. But if people who are registered with TPS don't complain then the TPS monthly report contains zero so nothing gets done.

http://www.dma.org.uk/sites/default/files/PDF/Code%20of%20practice/COP_scheme4-Feb2012.pdf

"Calls to those who have objected and TPS/CTPS

Members must not make unsolicited calls for marketing purposes
to individuals (including sole traders and, except in Scotland,
partnerships) and/or corporate subscribers (limited companies,
plcs and partnerships in Scotland) where the individual or corporate
subscriber has notified the caller that he does not wish to receive such
calls, or where the individual or corporate subscriber has registered
his objection with the Telephone Preference Service or the Corporate
Telephone Preference Service.

In-house suppression file

Members must therefore operate and maintain an in-house
suppression file, listing recipients who have indicated that they do not
wish to be contacted by telephone. Members must have documented
procedures to ensure that all such names have been blocked from the
telephone contact lists used by them or on their behalf (see para 5.81
above).

TPS/CTPS

Members must also ensure that no list containing telephone numbers
is used for marketing purposes unless it has been cleaned against
the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) or Corporate Telephone
Preference Service (CTPS) files. Members must ensure that such
a list is cleaned against the most recent TPS or CTPS file no more
than 28 days before supply, although a user may choose to clean it
again before use. [N.B. Members may use their own list (i.e. a list
of those with whom they have an established relationship) without
cleaning against the TPS or CTPS file, as long as the individual or
corporate subscriber has provided their telephone number (i.e. it is
not sourced) and it was made absolutely clear at the time of collecting
the telephone number that the data subject may receive telemarketing
calls to that number]. The individual or corporate subscriber must
have been given an opportunity to object to receiving marketing when
the telephone number was collected (see para 5.90 above)."

Message 9 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
TPS is not the answer, I am registered, but my number has been in existence for so many years and used around the world for many years, and I get calls from countries that are not covered by TPS. A simple, "this is what our customers want" from 02 and I would think all phones would offer it in about 6 months, the handset business is so cut throat, no manufacturer would want to miss out on not providing it, and if Samsung can do it so can the others.
Message 10 of 33