cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do 02 lie about their stock-levels

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, believe it or not, in the last month I've been through this process 3 times.

1: Ordered an Ipad and Iphone on "next day delivery" because the website said they were available

2: Paid the up front money

3: Got a text saying neither Ipad or Iphone was actually in stock

4: Cancelled the orders

5: Spoke to an adviser, who has told me that it's only certain colours/storage sizes that are out of stock (even though the website says all colours/storage sizes are in stock) and I should re-order a different one.

6: Re-ordered a different (colour, storage size) Ipad/Iphone

7: Paid the up front money

8: Got a text saying neither of these devices are in stock either..............

So that's 3 different Ipads, and 3 different Iphones (basically every device they do!) that 02 claim they have in stock, that they actually don't have in stock. 02 literally don't have any of the new Iphones or Ipad Pros in stock - but the website says they're almost all in-stock.

And it's not even as if it's close. When I say "out of stock" I mean, they don't have anything for 2-3 weeks at least.

I even had a situation where an adviser was telling me on the phone, that an Ipad was definitely out-of-stock and would be for at least a week, but the website was still taking orders for "next day delivery".

I'm starting to think it's just a business strategy. To secure orders, on products they don't even have. Just so you don't go to EE, or 3.

Seriously, I've never had  a situation with another provider when a "next day delivery" didn't show up. It's happened on 3 consecutive orders, with 02, on 6 different products.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you search the forum you will see this is raised over and over again yet o2 continue to take orders for products they don't have.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not sure if this link will get me in trouble (sorry!) but check this out:
http://iphonestockchecker.co.uk/

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
The problem at the moment is 2 fold,

1. o2 dont have for consumers a live stock systems
2. People are hunting still iPhone 7's and the new iPads, and as soon as someone has it stock, everyone knows about it through the link posted by @gmarkj and other places, so the stock is snapped up.

My personal experience last week was ordered Thursday at 1pm collected at 7pm from an o2 shop, where it was shown as in stock...So maybe try this option...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had no problem getting hold of an iPhone 7 in my local o2 store last week 

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The fact remains, whether the device is in stock, out of stock or just a figment of O2's imagination, they will greedily take your money and hope you are patient enough to wait until the 12th of Never for your new toy. 

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ages ago we suggested a live stock ordering system in our Ideas section. The response was 'Not applicable'.

I buy virtually everything online and I can always see if goods are available for purchase. Amazon, Ebay, Argos, Next,  Asda, A.O. Tesco etc etc etc.... So I dont accept that a company like O2 are unable to implement a similar system. I certainly would never pay a large sum of money for any goods only to find they are out of stock and I have to wait weeks .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
People expect to order online and receive their items next day now and there are so many companies that succeed in this. Argos can even deliver same day, so anything else just falls short of the mark and customer expectations.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Can I suggest a small correction ?

O2 don't actually lie about their online stock levels.

How can they when they don't actually know what quantities that they have in stock at any one time.

To lie one must know the actuality.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 14

PiedPiper
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:
Can I suggest a small correction ?

O2 don't actually lie about their online stock levels.

How can they when they don't actually know what quantities that they have in stock at any one time.

To lie one must know the actuality.

If O2 don't know about their stock levels then they shouldn't quote them on their web site, nor should they take payment until they do. A genuine mistake we could understand, but not this. It appears they think they can get away with it because of a huge gulf between supply and demand.

If for some reason @Beenherebefore you don't like the use of the word 'lie' perhaps you would prefer the word 'fraud'.

Message 10 of 14