cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitch: what is it, and why has Google bought it for $1bn?

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So...I now know about Twitch! I never knew it existed until the BBC news tonight.

$1bn dollars is a staggering amount to pay but with 45 million users, growing by the day, Google see it as a massive revenue earner.

What is Twitch and why does Google want it?

From the Guardian : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/25/twitch-google-gaming-video-site

"It’s essentially the YouTube for live gaming: people broadcast themselves playing and/or talking about games while other people watch them (either live or via archived footage) while chatting about it."

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are lots of PC games that pull in thousands of viewers, however some big Twitch livestreamers are being pulled away from this streaming platform, it has lots of potential for growth.

Unless Google change it drastically, Twitch will be a great investment for Google.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never heard of it either don't know how 45 million people have it obviously appeals to some I think it's a bit pathetic myself 😞
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've never heard of it either don't know how 45 million people have it obviously appeals to some I think it's a bit pathetic myself 😞

Well I suppose that all depends on whether you enjoy online gaming or not. I don't personally but I know lots of people that do...and as it costs nothing initially it seems ok ...so why not?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can fully understand online gaming but watching someone playing it just sounds extremely boring but I guess there is money to be made in it somewhere which must be why google wants it
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've not heard of this either but does look interesting.

My son who uses an an X Box One can go online and watch other players 'playing' a game in order to see how it performs ,and if he likes it enough to buy into it.

A bit off topic but I also like the idea of being able to download a playable demo in order to see if I like a game too.
Message 6 of 7

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I've seen it used to good effect when game projects on Kickstarter want to explain the gameplay and progress. Otherwise it is boring to watch someone else play a game!

BTW, there's a comment on the link for why isn't there a games show on TV. Reason: because its boring to watch other people play games whilst listening to presenters who are only doing it as a career start. That and its never worked for TV going way back to the 80's and the infamously abysmal GamesMaster (though that was saved by the sarcastic Dominic Diamond). 

Message 7 of 7