Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The demise of TuGo

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

As an app developer perhaps O2 were a little naive when they launched TuGo.

Just as Tim Berners-Lee never thought that his invention would ever be used to distribute images worldwide that contravened legislation and also allowed terrorists to learn how to make IEDs, probably O2 never thought that customers would use TuGo in a foreign country or use it when connected to a cellular network.

In other words use TuGo for purposes that O2 never intended.

They developed a product so that customers could make and receive calls and SMS using a wifi broadband connection because they couldn't connect to the cellular network.

It was the clever customers who found that there were other ways to use TuGo.

So can we really criticise O2 for withdrawing the product ?

Certainly we can criticise them for not having a viable alternative in place before closing TuGo.......one that would allow all customers to make and receive calls and SMS using wifi broadband.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, we have long since been the first port of call for tugo support.
Quite ironic really.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It links to the forum ...what a surprise..Rolleys

Tu link.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree with your initial post, the app developers didn't intend or realise that customers would be able to use their allowances overseas. 

However, the fact we could and the fact that people have been renewing contracts for this very reason like myself, O2 pushing the app as a feature and a reason to be with O2 was a mess of their own making. They could quite easily have stopped this by barring non UK IPs. 

And not to forget the people in this country who have come to rely on TU over the years. O2 needed to come up with a viable operational replacement for all these customers in the UK, not just for those with the latest flagship phones and who have had to have bought them from O2. Wifi calling just doesn't do the job for that reason and another reason being the unavailability of texting. 

Disgusting, disgraceful and my blood is still boiling even after having all this time to digest O2's outrageous decision. 

Message 13 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

What is even better is if you check the FAQ and then help.

Guess where it links to?

tu help.JPG

That in itself is diabolical. All we can do is sympathise and advise that no network offers a like for like alternative. 

Message 14 of 22

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

O2 needed to come up with a viable operational replacement for all these customers in the UK, not just for those with the latest flagship phones and who have had to have bought them from O2. 

But surely O2 treats all their customers equally, no special offers to any particular segment ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 15 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

O2 needed to come up with a viable operational replacement for all these customers in the UK, not just for those with the latest flagship phones and who have had to have bought them from O2. 

But surely O2 treats all their customers equally, no special offers to any particular segment ?

That must be the most laughable lie they have had the absolute gall to issue as a statement of fact! 

Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please can someone tell this senior member where to get help since the withdrawal of TuGo. The shop in Sheffield Fargate where I purchased my phone told me they couldn't help - I suppose I wasn't going to spend money.  I have now got an appointment for this Friday and I have no intention of leaving the shop until everything has been restored on my phone. TuGo was brilliant as we live in an area of Sheffield where there is absolutely no mobile reception so using TuGo was ideal. I have been in contact on this site with someone giving me instructions but this has resulted in me having no messaging app at all on my phone having been advised to removed my messenger app.  Why do people suggest using WhatsApp? Do they not realise that not all people are available on WhatsApp.

Message 17 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
There is absolutely nothing available to replace TU. They offer WiFi calling but only suitable phones, a few of the latest models bought from O2. Even then texts over wifi isn't an option.
Three offer a similar app so leaving O2 is the sensible thing to do.
Message 18 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousIf you make a complaint O2 may offer you a boost box or allow you to leave your contract free of charge https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can complain all you want, nothing will come of it.  They are totally beligerent.

Your only option is to ditch O2.  They have clearly reneged by removing TuGo.  I was actually advised by an O2 guru to use TuGo because I had no network in my home area.  I could not make or receive calls or SMS.  I became almost totally reliant on it.

I am now with Three on my existing unlatched Sony Xperia Z5 Compact.  I have "All you can eat talktime", "All you can eat texts" and 4GB of data on a SIM only contract for £10/month.  I have a good network signal at home but if I didn't I can use "Three in Touch", (T*I*T for short!), which works perfectly when you are next to a router.

I am better off now with Three than I ever was with O2.  I wish I'd left years ago.

Bye Bye O2.  You lost another customer.  I hope you go liquid, you thoroughly and utterly deserve it!

Message 20 of 22