Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The demise of TuGo

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

As an app developer perhaps O2 were a little naive when they launched TuGo.

Just as Tim Berners-Lee never thought that his invention would ever be used to distribute images worldwide that contravened legislation and also allowed terrorists to learn how to make IEDs, probably O2 never thought that customers would use TuGo in a foreign country or use it when connected to a cellular network.

In other words use TuGo for purposes that O2 never intended.

They developed a product so that customers could make and receive calls and SMS using a wifi broadband connection because they couldn't connect to the cellular network.

It was the clever customers who found that there were other ways to use TuGo.

So can we really criticise O2 for withdrawing the product ?

Certainly we can criticise them for not having a viable alternative in place before closing TuGo.......one that would allow all customers to make and receive calls and SMS using wifi broadband.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I would have to disagree with the statement 'they didn't realise TuGo could be used abroad'.

Based on my own circumstances it was used as a selling point by the CS advisor when I swapped from PAYG to Contract.

My reason for change was the amount of top ups I needed when abroad. The advisor (based in Leeds) discussed the cost of the contract and made particular reference to the benefits of TuGo stating I could use it in Spain.

If it was a loophole discovered by customers then why didn't O2 disable it?

Three have a 'similar' app. It can't be used abroad

So yes I can be extremely critical of O2 for withdrawal of the product.

They have also discontinued World Chat and International Favourites

Says it all really.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 22

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I was referring to "the app developers" not some CS advisers who are known to give incorrect advice.

Perhaps it was those CS advisers who discovered the potential uses of TuGo rather than O2 customers.

Also you changed from PAYG when ?......just after TuGo was released in 2013 ?

In this 2013 review, no indication of its potential use.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/o2s-tu-go-app/

Message 3 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I know who you meant @Beenherebefore. Sadly customer never talk to app developers. We talk to CS and usually believe what we are told (or did) .

I changed over shortly after Tu was released and actually it was no good for me when abroad as I hadn't got access to WiFi

Point I am making is Tu has been used as a selling point.

If we clever customers 'abused' it by using it abroad... then the app developers should have plugged the loophole. 

I think they are closing anything that can be used abroad... purely to recover loss of revenue caused by the June 15th EU roaming regulations...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 22

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

If we clever customers 'abused' it by using it abroad... then the app developers should have plugged the loophole. 

I think they are closing anything that can be used abroad... purely to recover loss of revenue caused by the June 15th EU roaming regulations...

At least we agree on those 2 points.

If TuGo is still available in countries that haven't introduced roaming regulations then that's pretty conclusive.

Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I 'think' it is still available in some of the South American countries. Someone posted a list a couple of days ago. Can't find it now....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144346 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
But not on Movistar in Spain.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

May I pay a compliment to all those senior members who are going 'above & beyond' with this ending of TuGo by O2 ... endless patience with the very many customers who are 'bewildered' & are asking for help

They & the admin team etc know who these senior members of the community are

I am all kudo'd out for the meantime

btw, I have no knowledge of TuGo to impart to customers ... but ... 'enjoy' reading the thread(s) about the demise of TuGo

Keep Calm & Carry On Regardless wink

Message 8 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://tu.com/en/ shows where it is currently available scroll down

tu now.JPG

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

What is even better is if you check the FAQ and then help.

Guess where it links to?

tu help.JPG

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 22