cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible 4G performance in Manchester

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just switched from EE and I'm shocked at how bad the 4G performance is on O2. It's simply not 4G and the big data package I was offered is a complete con as it's totally unusable. I'm aware that there are advantages and disadvantages with different networks but honestly EE is 5 times faster when using 4G. We regulary use our mobiles to connect and upload files from laptops, we've been doing it for two years with EE, and can't get the O2 4G to upload anything and an acceptable speed. O2 is more like early 3G speeds from 5 years ago. If anyone is being enticed to switch through data packages then don't do it - EE 4G is far better. O2 will know this and unfortunately I'm a couple of days outside of my 14 day but will definately be buying an EE mobile broadband package.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

owza57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

29.56Mbps Down, 18.10Mbps Up in Blackley, NE Manchester

Not that bad?

Message 12 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No, not bad at all but it will vary at different times of the day.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

packages
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@owza57 I'm guessing that's not a city centre location?

4G is probably fine in the surburbs of Manchester - it will just be over capacity in the centre,

Message 14 of 16

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Every mobile network has its strengths and weaknesses in particular areas and these go back to pretty much the days when the networks were set up in the first place. This is in addition to any availability of bandwidth.

For the record, O2 are at their maximum strength in London, Leeds, Slough, Birmingham and Glasgow. This goes back to the time when the original company Cellnet were setting up their initial GSM network in 1994 and had its HQ in Slough (can’t afford to have rubbish coverage where the HQ is situated) and also had a major presence in Leeds. This situation continues to this day where Leeds and Slough were the first cities to receive O2’s 4G, 4G calling etc. 

Sadly this isn't the case in Manchester where EE have a major presence. This goes back to the one2one days c1997 when they became the major provider for Manchester Airport. O2 do want to improve coverage and capacity in Manchester like it does everywhere else but site acquisition and construction is hampered by the fact EE ‘got there first’. 

Hopefully although difficult, it isnt impossible to resolve and O2 will have to chop and change frequencies to 4G like is done in Leicester (large chunks their 3G 2100mHz has in the City centre have gone over to 4G resulting in a most welcome 4G ‘spike’). 

Obviously I can’t promise Manchester will get better for O2 coverage anytime soon but O2 are seeing enhanced coverage as a priority. Bear with them and it will get better eventually. 

Message 15 of 16

Amina01
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So in June 2021 I have 02 5G SIM, there is no difference in 4G or 5G both get under 10mbps which is mid level 3G. I am in Manchester. Fortunately this is not my main SIM and mainly used for calling otherwise would have returned it. For comparison EE 5G speed here is from 100-500Mbps, vodafone and Three about 180 average for 5G. Three 4G speed is bad here too while Vodafone, Plusnet mobile, virgin mobile 4G mostly 30-90Mbps more at times. I am truly shocked how poor O2 is. They say Evey cloud, so VoLTE is supported.
Message 16 of 16