Did you mean: 

S_mething's missing.....

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

40% Fewer volunteers came forward last year to give Blood

Do you give blood? Its very easy to forget how important this kind of thing is in fighting disease and other health issues (myself included), so we thought it was a gooid idea to share a recent article from The Blue that talks about the issue, as well providng a link to get invovled

See the Article here

Here's an excerpt:

"Names are an important part of life for people and businesses alike. They’re who you are. Our name’s a fairly straightforward one and, with only two characters, it looks kinda weird with one of them missing. That O is pretty important.

Our name isn’t the only place where an O is crucial. Along with A and B, national reserves of blood type O are in short supply. So, to show our support for the NHS’s #MissingType campaign for National Blood week, we’ve lost our O.

The aim of the campaign is to inspire people across the UK to replace the 204,000 donors who are no longer able to give blood. In fact, the number of blood donors is down by 40% from what it was 10 years ago.

Blood donations are crucial to saving and improving the lives of people who suffer a medical trauma, undergo surgery, suffer from a blood disorder or are fighting cancer."

For more information from the official Give Blood website, head here

Thanks everyone.

new hearts.JPG

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I used to give blood regularly but due to health problems I can no longer do so. Please everyone, it's a vital service that we can all do. I urge everyone to give blood. What's a little bit of our time compared to saving a life?

Message 2 of 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A very good idea to give this some publicity, not everyone thinks of it.

Sadly I can't.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Its been on TV and in the press over the last couple of days.... I think the decrease in donors has a lot to do with cut backs. Many rural and semi rural areas used to have the mobile blood bank unit travel to them....also there used to be a programme where they visited workplaces in the UK...Sadly a lot of that has disappeared now. I am not saying there are no mobile units but the numbers have decreased.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4