cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor O2/iphone reception

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just taken out an iphone contract with O2 after being with T-Mobile for 10 years. I live in a rural area near Edinburgh, and have always had good reception with T-Mobile and Nokia handsets. The iphone's reception with O2 is very poor, and I can only connect in certain inconvenient locations around my property.

I studied the network coverage maps for O2, and they showed the same level of reception for my postcode as T-Mobile. Where does the problem lie? Is it O2's coverage that's at fault, or the iphone? Is there any solution for this? I only jumped to O2 because I wanted to stay legal and not unlock the iphone - now I wish I had! Despite the reception, I do LOVE my iphone!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have put lots of faith on O2's network. However, it has been disappointing lately. Ever since I moved to a new location, the signal on my Iphone 3G remained at 2 bar (GPRS). Most of the time the signal will fluctuate between two bars and one bar and 50% of the time is 0 bar. There is no point in calling O2 because they said that they are NOT going to improve the coverage over my area. The best thing that I can do is to go for Vodafone. Is that the way how to advise a customer?
The second thing is that I was asking the O2 CS for some advice into improving the coverage surrounding my area. Perhaps I could buy a signal booster for my house at least (Vodafone have launched their VOdafone Access Gateway to improve Vodafone's signal at home). All I've got was nothing that I can do and they (O2) will not be doing anything for sure. Oh dear, so much so for putting lots of faith in one of the leading UK Mobile Service Provider.
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
People can't hear me in my house (while I can hear them), while my budget nokia on vodafone has 2 bars.

Also, it randomly cuts people off during calls (this just happened walking around Brighton today). It's pretty disappointing as it's useless as a phone in my house and I have to call people back on the landline.

The guy in the apple shop said theres nothing they can do + that o2 shares masts with vodafone, the difference being that vodafone have a shorter wavelength so it penetrates buildings better, orange has longer so would be even worse.

In Brighton vodafone seem to work while every one else is unreliable (have been on virgin and three and o2 so far) - I only got the iphone to develop games on, but it seems I'm missing the phone functionality.
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Vodafone and o2 use the same wave length which penetrates buildings better than the wavelength used by orange and tmobile.

Unfortunately, the iphone won't pick up a signal as good as a nokia, sony ericsson etc will due to the way it's been designed.
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Vodafone and o2 use the same wave length which penetrates buildings better than the wavelength used by orange and tmobile.
Unfortunately, the iphone won't pick up a signal as good as a nokia, sony ericsson etc will due to the way it's been designed.

In that case o2 needs to get more base stations. If they know thats the case, they know theres a problem.
Message 14 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
And all the networks use the same frequency for 3g only the 2g network uses differing frequencie ranges by operator.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 15