cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpriced Xperia Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony Xperia Z = £485 delivered direct from Sony & sim free.

O2 pay & go = £499, locked to O2 & bastardised O2 firmware, some of the pay monthly up front phone prices are also more then Sony.

Why would anyone in there right mind pay more for this O2 branded handset when the manufacturer is cheaper & sim free?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows wink

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
They like to overprice, they did it with the nexus 4. £400 when on the google play it was £279 from them
Message 3 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The Xperia Z is free for the rest of today in the flash sale, on a 2 year contract with 600 minutes and 750Mb data for £27 a month.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont do phone contract's.

I don't do locked phone's OR operator branded firmware.

Sim free phone & sim only deal everytime for me.

Im waiting to see what the Xperia ZR is like OR see what Sony release later on in the year wink

Message 5 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Nor do I so far, but it's a very good deal!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont do phone contract's.

I don't do locked phone's OR operator branded firmware.

Sim free phone & sim only deal everytime for me.

Im waiting to see what the Xperia ZR is like OR see what Sony release later on in the year wink

Im with you on that I always buy sim free

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too, way easier & no ties
Message 8 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you Google that phone you'll find it for £100 less than what you've seen it for on the Sony site.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 14

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
I would imagine the reasons behind the higher price is due to the cost of buying the devices from the manufacturer, shipping and distribution, marketing contribution etc.

Locked to O2, well network locks are there because typically devices are subsidised when offered on contract or P&G.

As for O2 firmware, well there are certain capabilities and features networks like to add (although not always the case) and in all fairness any business wants to maximise their branding footprint.

You need to remember the average phone user is not concerned with branded firmware and in some cases do not even see that Android runs on an array of different manufacturer devices.

As for the more informed and tech savy like yourself, I would imagine you were more than capable of determining if O2 devices can be unlocked and re flashed with non-branded firmware in addition to sourcing a device from alternative channels as oppose to your average consumer just popping into a phone shop due to it being convenient whilst out shopping / browsing.
Message 10 of 14