Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT a smartphone so what else

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

For highly personal reasons Ive rejected  a smartphone (dont askCrazy). I realise this is really a phone site BUT

I'd like access ebooks, email, a few apps ,music practice  but not films or games. Would a tablet be easier and more versatile to learn to take on hols and use outside of the home

or

I do have an old DORO smartphone which I could use with a pay as you go card NOT for phone but for internet and app use when needed -

Any helpful commments or am Im on the wrong track.

PS the smartphone i rejected is the only one possible for me. It was over 200.00  but the price wasnt the reason

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My 82 year old father never touched a computer of any kind in his life until a few years ago - he wouldn't go anywhere without his Samsung Tab now. He took to that like a duck to water.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My 82 year old father never touched a computer of any kind in his life until a few years ago - he wouldn't go anywhere without his Samsung Tab now. He took to that like a duck to water.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105I have a tablet. I wouldn't be without it if honest. Not as old as @MI5's father but I take my tablet with me when I go on weekends away...and always to Spain...

Bigger screen...good sound. I am sorted

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I went to a local store . They found me an ex demo 8'' G3 Linx, and helped to set it up in a mode I'm used to. I'm still a bit nervous! But will try it out this we All I have to now is get a data SIM - oh dear. always something new. . Holidaying shortly so lite to travel. Wheee!
Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hope the experience is a good one for you @Jenny105

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Pleased you are sorted @Jenny105. You wont regret getting a tablet. Mine goes everywhere with me when I'm away...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I'm nervous even tho I can handle, touch screen and onscreen keyboard. I always thought tablets were SO different from lappys. If theres a book / site on inderstanding a tablet Id love to hear.
Message 7 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If I am honest I gained most of my knowledge from the guys on here. About 4 years ago I thought I wouldn't like tablets at all. Then I said I wanted one with a 10in screen...I was recommended the HP Slate. I then bought a case for it with a keyboard and a bluetooth mouse....and I was sorted. For me it was just a smaller laptop...but far more portable, Now I have the Sony Z2 and I love it....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's really just like a big phone.
I think Which do a guide, I'll have a look.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's really just like a big phone.

I think those were the words you said to me at the time @MI5 Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19