cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad, how to stop calls reaching my mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whats the best way to do this? I'm on a 12month simplicity. Is it simply a case of me cancelling each call, or if I set up a call redirect to my voicemail will they go direct there without going via my phone?
Thanks.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the LAST thing you should do! Voicemail always redirects via an outbound call from your phone ( at least for billing purposes) and so is very expensive outside Europe, and even in europe it's more expensive to listen to your message than it would have been to take the call. Best thing to do (if not having the sim in a phone is not an option) is to turn off voicemail by calling 1760 before you leave and rejecting any calls.
Message 2 of 16

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
Voicemail always redirects via an outbound call from your phone

If that is the case, how does voicemail work when the phone is switched off or in use?
#siwy
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

If that is the case, how does voicemail work when the phone is switched off or in use?

You may have missed the bit that goes "at least for billing purposes" wink
Message 4 of 16

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

You may have missed the bit that goes "at least for billing purposes" wink

No I didn't. If the phone is switched off how do O2 know where it is?
#siwy
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dunno, and yet they do.
I think you might get away with it if your phone is turned off in the uk and stays off, all the time, but once it is turned on abroad you get charged for vm until the uk network picks it up again. That, by the way, is a complete guess.
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
To the OP, lots of info @ http://www.o2.co.uk/international/?cm_s ... ernational
If you are travelling within Europe, get a bolt on My Europe which allows you to receive calls free and make calls at a reduced rate.
Add it for 1 month for around a tenner, good VFM.
http://www.o2international.co.uk/callin ... extra.aspx
Message 7 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I Thought that if you setup a full divert of all calls to voice mail it avoided the double billing as long as it is setup before leaving the country
Let me check the support pages
To divert all calls to Voicemail 901 either use your mobiles menu or key *21*901# and send. All your calls will then be answered by Voicemail 901, to cancel this service key ##21# send.

now trying to find the cost info on this method
not found the cost but another thread that confims if all calls diverted no costs viewtopic.php?p=340101#p340101 hope that helps
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right, I can confirm this from my own regular experience. If you set up all calls divert (*21*number#), then the calls are diverted on the network level and it is irrelevant where you are, even when the phone is switched on. There will be no cost to you when people leave the messages. Only charge will be for you to listen to them. If you set up something like HulloMail (search on Google), and divert all calls to your 03 (HulloMail) number, you can listen to the messages left via the web which will also be free.
The divert charge (double cost) would apply if you REJECT the incoming call while abroad, if you don't answer when ringing or if outside of coverage (but the network first tries to connect you). All CONDITIONAL diverts are chargeable, but the UNCONDITIONAL is free!
Hope this helps, Maurice
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hiya, thamks for all the replies, that EU bolt on looks good, but I'm only away for a week, so it's a bit overkill.
I think the best bet is to disable voice mail and just reject calls, just in case I do get an important one I need to take.
To contact the UK I'll just use texts (11p each I think?).
Thanks for all the great help and quick replies!
Message 10 of 16