cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking premium rate text message

Anonymous
Not applicable
I came to O2 as it offered the best coverage for the area I work in.
Today I attempted to place a premium rate text message bar on my phone as I have done with my Vodafone service. The reason for this request is to prevent the M type premium charge incoming text messages that I have been receiving. Replying to these disguised messages will invite countless reverse charge premium rate messages and even texting STOP as advised by the O2 operative will cost me £1.50

When I telephoned customer services, I was advised that "O2 does not offer the premium call bar service".
I requested that the text message service on my number be blocked, again I was informed that "O2 does not offer that service". (I'm beginning to think I have made a wrong decision going with this provider).

Can anyone advise if it is possible for me to reclaim the remaining credit I have on my payg phone and transfer it, along with the number to a provider that does offer the premium text bar or total text block I asked for.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then the providers that do offer either a premium number text bar, or a total outgoing/incoming SMS block on my number are the ones I will be speaking to.
If one can do it without affecting the GSM , then (other than for their own financial gains), there are no sound reasons why the rest cannot do the same.
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Text messaging is nothing to do with GPRS.
SMS uses the control channels which set up a voice call. Its just not possible to completely disable SMS without making the change for everyone in your area or disabling calls.
By all means choose a provider that operates a blacklist, but be aware there are good reasons for and against doing it.
Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Weighed up and will be switching soon.
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe that people are still having problems with premium rate text messages. In 2006 I had a problem with my 02 contract which reckoned that I had been using premium rate text servicing. I was allegedly receiving text messages every 30 seconds of the day and night at a cost of £1.50 a time. I alerted 02 who did absolutely nothing about this. They did not give me any advise but were happy to take a share of £2,760 pounds bill which ran up. I had thought this problem was resolved only to find out I have been passed to a debt collector. At the time I advised 02 these calls were fraudulent and not to pay the service provider to be advised "they already had". I think it is a disgrace that 02 are getting away with this and will now be taking things through the proper channels, after getting free advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureaux! :robotindifferent:
Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
You obviously didn't read the whole of this thread.
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
As i was alerted to a new message on this thread, I thought I'd reply.
msb01 you have my full sympathy. My issue was nowhere near as frightening as yours and I wish you success. At least I have resolved my issue with O2.
I have sinced ported my number to a new provider who were only too pleased to put the requested SMS blocks in place that O2 could/would not, I have not received one single SMS since the switchover.
I have two phones on the same network, one(my phone) with the SMS block my wife's without, the statement Its just not possible to completely disable SMS without making the change for everyone in your area or disabling calls.has been proven to be incorrect.
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
After many years both as a BT then O2 customer I started to receive marketing messages from O2. After a while I got so fed up with them I sent STOP to the number stated. I received one more message then no more until about 6 months later and now they've started again.
It cost me at least £1.50 to stop the messages the first time and I'm damned if I'm going to pay to have them stopped again.
The only way that they tell you to get the messages stopped is to send STOP to them (at your cost). Personally, I give these people one chance to get it right, after that it is reported to the regulator.
Ofcom, here I come. (not that they'll do much)
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting thread, Tesco Mobile have a premium rate SMS barring afaik, which is funny as they use O2.
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too would like to see some kind of block. I have had the same mobile number for over ten years. In all that time I have NEVER requested any kind of subsription via sms and yet in the last year I seem to get more and more of these messages that I have no interest in. It may only be about £3 extra a month, but for goodness sake, I went onto a cheaper tariff to save that much money a month!

It's all very well texting STOP but then that's another £1.50 I had no interest in spending so my bill gets hiked up by nearly £5! We already know our details are being passed on to third parties whether we like it or not. Why isn't there a service to protect us from other companies' dishonesty?

Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I must agree I don't see why O2 can't block them if you request it should be a simple thing to do
Message 20 of 23