cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would like some advice please

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, i posted a short while ago about an issue i had with O2.

Basically ordered an iphone 5C and didnt like it, didnt even open the packet or use the phone, returned the phone and cancelled the contract all within the 14 day cooling off period.

Was told on the phone by the advisor who cancelled the contract that i should also cancel the direct debit, which i forgot about, and so O2 took the money from my bank, they then refunded it the same day.

Skip forward to just after Christmas and i get an email telling me they had tried to get £5.67 via direct debit but couldnt so had suspended my account and that i was supposed to pay straight away. I phoned O2 and was told this was all a mistake and the £5.67 bill was produced in error and that it would be cancelled, i then recieved an email to show that i owed £0.00 and because i had not paid £0.00 i must ring up and pay immediatly to get the non existant bill paid (laughable)

I then got on here and asked advice and took some of it and made a complaint to the CEO office, today i recieved an email from them stating that my complaint was upheld because of the confusion in closing the account, BUT that the £5.67 was for the amount of airtime your contract was active.

Now the help i need is this:

I never used this phone, i never made a call or text or used any data from this phone, i also returned the phone in the cooling off period, the advisor told me i owed nothing, no mention of money owed for a contract which was active?.

Could someone in the know let me know how this works please.

The person who has replied to me from the CEO office seems to think i did owe the money and thinks its fine to say we uphold your complaint because of a mix up BUT we were right to demand the £5.67, they then said a simple sorry and said they hoped i was fine with that explanantion.

Well i am not happy, i was never told about this final bill, in fact i was told to cancel the direct debit, i had to make at my own expence quite a few phone calls to O2 and not even a mention of a refund for the cost of those.

but before i take this complaint to the next stage i would like to know the facts.

This isnt only for me but for anyone in the future who should have the unpleasant experience i had, O2 need to be told off.

I look forward to hearing the views of people in the real know here.

Regards

Mike

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Unfortunately it's normal o2 practice to activate an account as soon as a phone is despatched. So essentially you are billed for the airtime until the unit is returned. It then involves a bill being produced, a phone call having to be made and the used airtime being re credited thus making a zero balance due on the billing date. That in a nutshell is how o2 work and have done since I worked there way back in 2002.

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you and always thought this was the case, but others seem to think you do owe even if you send the phone back unused within the cooling off period, this is what i did.

The CEO office said i owed the £5.67 for the amount of time the contract was active?

I dont think that is correct and if i get a correct answer to this i will take the complaint further, as i have done nothing wrong, yet as also stated in their email i could have a black mark against my file, and yes guess what its up to me to find that out and then they may remedy it, so a total run around.

Thank god i never went with this shoddy company..

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just because O2 do it this way doesn't make it correct, and then the onus is back on the customer, cooling off period means you can change your mind within a set amount of time, O2 had a phone call from me 2 weeks prior to the billing so had every opportunity to tell me about a final bill which would be generated for not using any service...you see why I am a little peeved.
Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Yes, completely understandable.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Don't get me wrong as I completely agree with you. I don't know of any other commodity company where all the onus is completely down to the customer.  I'm just trying to point out the fallibility of such a system. Of course the complaints people can and will only respond to what their systems tell them.

Message 15 of 15