cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use of phone in america

Anonymous
Not applicable

going to america on sat. do i need to inform o2 of same? or does my phone (htc 820 ) just connect to equivalent american provider?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It should connect fine. I would check with customer service that there are no international bars on the phone to be on the safe side.

Also you would be best to switch off voicemail whilst still in the UK.

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It should connect fine. I would check with customer service that there are no international bars on the phone to be on the safe side.

Also you would be best to switch off voicemail whilst still in the UK.

Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Be aware of the costs before you use too much, esp data services http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous When I went to the USA I actually contacted customer services to let them know before I went . It really does save any hassle.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

going to america on sat. do i need to inform o2 of same? or does my phone (htc 820 ) just connect to equivalent american provider?

Get a 3 Pay&Go sim, top it up by £15 then convert it to a bundlle (300 mins/unlimited data as far as i can remember). Divert all calls from your O2 sim to that 3 number, put your 3 sim in your phone and your O2 sim in your wallet :). With 3 you'll be able to use your bundle allowances as if you were in UK, means no roaming charges.

One thing to remember - your phone has got to be unlocked in order to use other network's sim.

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I had absolutely no problem using mine in Florida. In fact 4 of us in our party were on O2 and we all contacted CS before we went....  My eldest was on Vodaphone though...and he bought a local US sim...worked a treat for him....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Get a 3 Pay&Go sim, top it up by £15 then convert it to a bundlle (300 mins/unlimited data as far as i can remember). Divert all calls from your O2 sim to that 3 number, put your 3 sim in your phone and your O2 sim in your wallet :). With 3 you'll be able to use your bundle allowances as if you were in UK, means no roaming charges.

@Cleoriff 's suggestion of using a local US P&G sim is a good idea too. It really does depend on how long you're planning to be there and what you need your phone for while you're there.

One thing to remember - your phone has got to be unlocked in order to use other network's sim.

@cyrillicguy 's suggestion is a very good one, but also keep in mind that if you do use a Three sim while in the US, whatever bundle allowance you get only covers you for calls and texts back to the UK. Any calls or texts you make to US numbers while you're there are chargeable.

@Cleoriff 's suggestion of using a US P&G sim is also a good idea. It all depends on how long you're planning to be there, and what you're going to use the phone for while you're there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It is also capped at 25gb (should be more than enough data though) and if you put Tugo on your phone before you leave there is no need to set up any diverts as Tugo will work over the Three data connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff 's suggestion of using a local US P&G sim is a good idea too. It really does depend on how long you're planning to be there and what you need your phone for while you're there.

@cyrillicguy 's suggestion is a very good one, but also keep in mind that if you do use a Three sim while in the US, whatever bundle allowance you get only covers you for calls and texts back to the UK. Any calls or texts you make to US numbers while you're there are chargeable.

@Cleoriff 's suggestion of using a US P&G sim is also a good idea. It all depends on how long you're planning to be there, and what you're going to use the phone for while you're there.

With a 3 sim when in US, I'd use a little workaround for calling local (US) numbers: use a voip provider with a UK access number and route my calls to US through them. UK->US calls cost about 1p/min on average with any decent voip supplier and calls to the UK access number would come out of your 3 allowance.

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

We were on holiday (8 family members) in Florida. It was a 25 day stay. My eldest had problems with Vodafone anyway... so he got a local sim for the time he was there. Easy enough to transfer his contacts over...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10