cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sale to Sky

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very disappointed to learn that O2 has been sold to Sky. I do not want to be paying any money to Rupert Murdoch or any of his companies so I shall be making enquiries about transferring to another company for my mobile and home telephone and broadband as soon as possible.

Message 1 of 116
115 REPLIES 115

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think if most were honest the answer is no they never think about it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 71 of 116

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
What does everyone have against expert Murdock lol. He's never personally offended me:)

#siwy
Message 72 of 116

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Have I said somthing stupid?:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 73 of 116

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If people feel strongly enough to have ethics about the companies or people they deal with and ultimately to contribute to that person/companies personal wealth, then who are we denounce that?

What I do find a little hypocritical is buying goods knowlingly produced by by high profile manufacturers using cheap child labour. You see a top brand bargain (be it a football kit, item of clothing or dare I say a phone) and snap it up without applying the same ethics or morals. Something I think we are all a little guilty of.

I have Sky broadband but have no problems if people do not want to deal with the company for whatever reasons, this is my right and choice.Seems to me though that a lot of people are thinking they are being forced to join Sky. They aren't, they too have a choice.

Message 74 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I have Sky broadband but have no problems if people do not want to deal with the company for whatever reasons, this is my right and choice.Seems to me though that a lot of people are thinking they are being forced to join Sky. They aren't, they too have a choice.

Some people have suggested O2 customers under a minimum term may be forced to see out their contract under Sky. I personally cannot see this happening, though.

Message 75 of 116

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
No I've looked through the T&Cs as much as I can. There doesn't seem to be anything holding them to the contract if brought out (well nothing too hard to get out of).

Main issue will be to wait and see what sky do. If they require a new contract to be signed refuse. If they change the package then you have grounds for termination.

It's still all up in the air until more information is provided:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 76 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not being funny Liquid, but which planet have you been living on recently? It would be hard if you watch tv news not to have seen anything on phone hacking by Murdoch's newspapers. Two of his senior managers are currently being prosecuted.

Perksie - there are many people who won't deal with companies on ethical grounds - the problem is having information (and time) about all the organisations you trade with every day.

Message 77 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Perksie - there are many people who won't deal with companies on ethical grounds - the problem is having information (and time) about all the organisations you trade with every day.

Exactly, I think if you looked hard enough you could find a good reason not to be with any company. slight_smile

Message 78 of 116

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
If I'm honest I couldn't care less about the phone hacking fiasco. It doesn't affect me in any way, if I'm honest I'm actually a fan if it meant the closure of the news of the world lol.

In this day and age of information selling, targeted advertisements, GPS ect. I fail to see how phone hacking was such a huge shock. Sorry maybe I'm cynical but if you don't want others to know your buisness don't do anything electronically that you wouldn't want the world knowing.

I know many will disagree but I don't hold the head of a company responsible for everything people within a company does. A few years ago a friend of mine ran a few shops. One of the staff he employed murdered someone. Does that mean we should boycot his shops? Should I hate my friend for hiring a person?

If you have an issue with how the company treats its customers then fair enough ill agree with you. To not use a company because of an investors past just doesn't compute with me. Can anyone really say they've done nothing illegal in their lives?

Edit: I will admit I find it incredibly distasteful hacking the phone of a murder victim.
Message 79 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are other reasons for not dealing with Murdoch's companies, not just phone hacking. My view is if we (the consumer) don't show our distaste for corrupt practices and abuse of power, then we'll get the kind of society we deserve. I don't consider O2 to be perfect, but in my experience the staff are friendly and try hard to fix problems - so I'll give them credit where it's due.

Message 80 of 116