cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sale to Sky

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very disappointed to learn that O2 has been sold to Sky. I do not want to be paying any money to Rupert Murdoch or any of his companies so I shall be making enquiries about transferring to another company for my mobile and home telephone and broadband as soon as possible.

Message 1 of 116
115 REPLIES 115

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Andy,

We don't have any details on that yet, but for now, nothing will change. This page (http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/broadbandchanges) will be updated with the latest information as soon as we have it. We'll also keep you up to date here in the community.

Cheers,
Leonard
Message 51 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable
Snap 😞
Message 52 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the deal you get a broadband discount if you have a O2 mobile and top up £10 every 3 months and get 50 minutes free if you top up £10 per month.

Message 53 of 116

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Answered above, at the moment nothing changes.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 54 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

What annoys me is the fact that neither O2 or Sky have bothered to second-guess the simple questions we, as users, will naturally ask.

Just to say, "keep looking for updates" and "nothing will change yet" is not reassuring - if they cannot answer simple questions then I hate to think how they've thought out the sale and purchase!!!

My questions are, simply:

1. I have recently renewed my broadband account for a year at 50% discount. Will this contract be honoured at the same price including mobile phone discount after Sky takeover? 
  2. However, if I do not wish to be a Sky customer will I be penalised by having to pay up the rest of my contract if I choose to leave?

These are questions that any person could be expected to ask and should have been thought of first before announcing the fait accompli.................

Message 55 of 116

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I guess once the deal is completed these questions can be answered.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 56 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Casrhinos - These have been my thoughts from the first time questions couldn't be answered. It seems clear that the decisions/agreement to sell to Sky was a financial one (obviously really) without the involvement of any o2 broadband operational people e.g. customer services, who would have asked these questions immediately. Sounds like a purely accounting decision with customers seen as "units of income generation" not actual customers. It was announced on Friday and I would have thought even at the top someone would be working down a list of "issues to be resolved" and providing some answers. Some issues may be down to the regulators as conditions may be attached to the sale by the regulator. However if that is the case why not say so? Just be honest. I think we are all grown up enough for that. (PS from the username do I detect a fellow RL supporter?!)

Message 57 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandcat

Yes indeed, my daughter used to be in the dance team at "The Jungle" and then got promoted to "Headingley" - a few years ago now when 12,000 at Leeds was considered crowded. I notice there were 20k+ at the World game.

Apologies to other board users for this little diversion!!

Message 58 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has it occurred to anyone that because the sale is still to go through regulatory bodies that both sides might have to keep a lid on what they say until it gets rubber stamped?  That may include answering questions about Sky's intentions once everything goes through.

Do you really think two massive billion-pound enterprises won't have thought about each and every implication of the sale of a service to each other?

As for consulting with customer service staff before making changes, I doubt that would happen with any large company. It would more than likely be discussed at boardroom level which includes the head of each section of the company.  So there would be some kind of customer service input, but not the front-line staff.

Message 59 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

But shouldn't Sky's "intentions" be known BEFORE the sale goes through? Or aren't they "honourable"?

The one thing that I do think about "two massive billion-pound enterprises" is that in this they haven't given a diddly-squat for their customers and as a reasonably intelligent person, I don't expect "front-line" staff to answer my questions - they will be as in the dark as the customers (I know from experience that is why I've not bothered the web-chat or phone staff) - but I do expect the "Questions You Might Ask" to include questions that are being asked on these boards rather than bland statements that could be made about any takeover.

Message 60 of 116