cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sale to Sky

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very disappointed to learn that O2 has been sold to Sky. I do not want to be paying any money to Rupert Murdoch or any of his companies so I shall be making enquiries about transferring to another company for my mobile and home telephone and broadband as soon as possible.

Message 1 of 116
115 REPLIES 115

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Great to see discussion going on about this.

There is an official thread via the link below and as I get more info, I shall update there.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/News-about-O2-s-Home-Broadband-and-Home-Phone-Service/m-p/...

Cheers, Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  All

I have had Seven happy years with o2. I have a o2 mobile and broadband and have had excellent service from o2.  I too will be seriously considering a move to  another provider.

One question I would like answering is why o2 is selling out to Sky.

Message 12 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable
BT or plusnet for me! I'm appalled at the very thought of joining Sky, their customer service is awful and you pay through the nose for anything to do with them.
If I would have wanted sky I would have joined them before.
Message 13 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi  All

I have had Seven happy years with o2. I have a o2 mobile and broadband and have had excellent service from o2.  I too will be seriously considering a move to  another provider.

One question I would like answering is why o2 is selling out to Sky.

Hi

As O2 stated in their press release, its becuase they are focusing their money on improving their mobile services.  It seems they came to a crossroads with broadband where they had to decide whether to spend money moving into Fibre, or sell off.

As mobile customers completely dwarf the home phone/bb customers it's an obvious choice where they're going to invest in.

As for why they chose sky?  Who knows.  Maybe sky were the only bidder in town, maybe they were the largest bidder.  Truth is I doub't we'll ever know.

Message 14 of 116

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
£200million buy out apparently.

450,000 customers. Not a bad price at all:D
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 15 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

Murdoch owns News Corp. which has a controlling interest of 39% in Sky, UK. I think my facts are correct!

Message 16 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm waiting to see what happens. Broadband either works or it doesnt, so it's the customer service that makes the difference. My experience with Sky customer service has been terrible. Fibre is coming to my area in March so it looks like it's time to go.
Very dissapointed.

Message 17 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree bigal. Even if Murdoch doesn't "own" Sky, his companies get a big slice of income from it. They get more from Sky than their newspapers. I'm going .... and they'll have to chase me to get any money for the remainder of the contract. They have significantly changed the service (see email storage allowance) and it is now a service not fit for my purposes. It would be an interesting fight in a court.

Message 18 of 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Murdoch owns News Corp. which has a controlling interest of 39% in Sky, UK. I think my facts are correct!

They don't have controlling interest anymore plus you need to have at least 51% to be controlling

Message 19 of 116

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
If there's multiple investors you only need the majority amount mate. 51% would be controlling if there are only two investors.

Sky presumably has more than two and 39% could quite easily be the controlling share if it were 3 or more shareholders.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 20 of 116