cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Loyal Customer Reward" ended up being a standard sales call to get more money.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi o2,

(posted in feedback section, since an email is not provided in the contact us section).

After being with o2 for over 7 years, today I received a call in which I was told that I would be rewarded for being a long time customer, with a better tarffif.

Initially, the deal seemed good, an extra £1 on top of my usual top up (normally £10 a month).
After discussing this, I was told this would required £16 a month (because I have sometimes topped up £15 on the odd occasion?)

Right at the end of the phone call, when the terms and conditions were explained, it was dropped on me that I would Ibe put on a 12 month contract, which was the first time  I heard about this on call, and even then I had to ask for it to be repeated since it was hard to hear). 

After being on pay & go for all my time, I don't understand why you would think I would like to be fixed to a 12 month contract (especially since my phone is over 3 years old as it is).
I don't normally get impatient from phone calls (which is why I didn't hang up), but this was a fustrating situation.

What seemed to be a good will gesture from O2, just turned into a sales call, where this was continually pushed onto me. How naive of me. The deal itself is not worth the price stated, as well as being put onto a fixed 12 month contract).

After this event occured, I've decided to go for another network provider.

Kind Regards

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Blatant sales tactics. The trouble is that people are falling for this and signing a contract that they don't want or need. Was this definitely from O2 or one of the 'trusted' partners they seem to have so many of?

Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jonsie,

Thank you for the quick response, I checked the number and it was for the o2 sales team, and I asked for verification, in which they sent a text from o2 number.

Kind Regards
Message 3 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Blatant sales tactics. The trouble is that people are falling for this and signing a contract that they don't want or need. Was this definitely from O2 or one of the 'trusted' partners they seem to have so many of?

It certainly sounds like Aerial.....who are a so called trusted partner of O2.  As you were usure and feel you were being conned, you did well to walk away before you tied yourself to a contract/deal  that didnt suit your needs. Our advice is....dont trust these so called 'trusted' partners slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Jonsie,

Thank you for the quick response, I checked the number and it was for the o2 sales team, and I asked for verification, in which they sent a text from o2 number.

Kind Regards

Sorry... you had posted this as I was posting my reply. Even so, if this contract doesn't suit your needs then please look for a deal that does. You dont need to tie yourself to anything that you don't want..

You seem to be on PAYG at the moment and O2 are encouraging you to switch to Contract...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 39

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's quite shocking that O2 adopt these type of false reward calls then. Sadly this company is deteriorating by the day in terms of customer service, website ordering, live chat, false information about stock and now shabby sales tactics.

I moved my main account to EE because of coverage and failure to divulge when 4G was likely to arrive. The way the company is declining then I'm happy that I did so and I don't blame you at all for changing provider. As you are on P&G I don't need to throw in the usual advise about trying different networks sim cards.

The only problem is if your phone is locked to O2. If so you would need to fill in the unlock form link in my signature, ensuring £15 credit was on the phone. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Message 6 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum. 

I like you have received a few calls both from O2 and what I believe to be Trusted Partners , I say believe because they don't seem to know what PAYG tariff I'm on and some other key details. On challenging them they tend to go all sheepish and shy away from the call. 

We do typically say here not to upgrade or open a new contract via cold calls but to shop around and use official websites or HighStreet stores. 

An account holder can speak to Customer Services to ask for these calls to stop. 

Im sorry this has initiated a Network Move and please do check them other Networks out via using Payg cards to see what signal and data connections are where you live,work and commute.

Tip -> You can unlock your payg handset to use it on other networks if it is unlocked for £15 T&C apply.

Would you like some further knowledge on how to Unlock ?

I hope things go well for you. 

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Cleoriff,

I must admit I was a bit naive and going through the final steps of the all, where the the sales rep was going through the terms and condition before I confirmed the deal.

I was questioning the contract when this was bought up during this, and when I stated I didn't want to go through with this anymore, they went onto hold, and when they came back, said "Sorry, this has already been authorized, I can't do nothing about this".

I'm not sure how their processes work in regards to this.
Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats correct. They didn't even mention it until at the end of the call (over 30 minutes long).

Message 9 of 39

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 10 of 39