cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay up front for life cancelled by o2!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had a "pay up front for life" contract for many years. Without notice or regret, O2 have changed it to a £35 per month contract. The reason given is a change to a new computer system causing it to "lose" some or all of the Pay up front contracts!!
Can they legally breach the contract?
Has anyone else suffered this?
Message 1 of 159
158 REPLIES 158

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Good for you Gill, let's hope this has set a precedent and all the customers on this tariff have it reinstated.
Message 61 of 159

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Stevyjones. I regret I don't for one minute think this will set a precedent. I think someone would need to take this to court for that to happen, and that would no doubt be extremely expensive. But if we all kept on enough, maybe the regulator would intervene as happened recently with the banks (mis-selling insurance etc), and with energy providers (need to give notice of price increases etc). The fact that they - O2- only stated they had made a mistake in MY case meant they weren't admitting any other "errors". But we live in hope. Do get in touch with Radio 4s You and Yours if you have a story to tell.....
Message 62 of 159

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi apologies to all if this matter seems to have all gone away now (its 2014 and the last post on here was 2011)

I'm really just wanting to see if I can find the contract paperwork many of you had discussed that you still had for reference. 

I also have a PUFFL account, have only ever been given free minutes for O2 to O2 calls and have been paying the £2.49 insurance each month only. I rarely use this phone to call out (mainly just recieving calls) 

So did anyone ever post the contract details? I am about to join the yahoo group I saw earlier but figured I should ask first.

Many thanks

H

Message 63 of 159

Anonymous
Not applicable

I took contract for life ans was using it for many years. I stopped using my phone for 3 to 4 years and as soon as i started using it in sept/oct  i got a letter asking asking me to pay around £15 pounds. Before i was making call to any mobile or landline upto 50 mins and did not pay anything but when i spoke to O2 yesterday i was told that my contracr was for using only O2 numbers. I know this is not correct and what i will have to do is go in my loft in next couple of weeks and get my old bills. Also i was told that O2 cant give me any invoices before

2 years. I thought all the companies have to keep customers records upto 6 years

Message 64 of 159

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you stopped using it for 4 years your contract would have been cancelled.
You cannot go back to an obsolete tariff now. You can only have one that is currently on offer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 65 of 159

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I thought too it was 6 years but O2 only keep 2 years. Maybe it's changed now.

The PUFL contracts were 50 minutes to any network. 

Message 66 of 159

highpeak43
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I still have my puffl - carefully preserved by continuing to use it at least every 6 months as per the T& Cs.

Wo betide if they attempt to cancel.  

Message 67 of 159

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@highpeak43 wrote:

I still have my puffl - carefully preserved by continuing to use it at least every 6 months as per the T& Cs.

Wo betide if they attempt to cancel.  

They can't remove it unless you choose too and as long as you stay within the t&c's you are fulfilling your obligations then O2 have to honour theirs.

For years I had the unlimited data legacy contract until they changed their definition of unlimited to 4GB. I then realised i could get more for the same monthly payments by upgrading.

Check your terms at the same time of 6 monthly intervals. Altering those is their way of forcing people off legacy deals.

Message 68 of 159

sch_pufl
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anyone else had the letter saying they are going to close down their Paid Up Front For Life account, "unless we hear from you by the 5th May 2021"

I rang customer services as soon as I got the letter, to say I still use the phone and account, though understandably not as much in lockdown.

I spoke to two customer service assistants and was on hold for most of the 37 minutes while they consulted with their managers assume. 

I thought it would be a quick simply call, to say don't close my account as 1/ It is a paid upfront for life account, and 2/ I still use it.  

But I don't think they understood.

To 02 who should I contact to say DO NOT CLOSE my account? There is no contact info on the letter, no number to ring or email address or number to text. Only the Telefonica address on the bottom of the headed paper. Can you please letter me know who I should be contacting? Thank you

Message 69 of 159

sch_pufl
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have you received a letter from 02 saying they will be colosing your account unless you get intouch by 5th May 2021. I have rung customer services but they didn't seem to understand. There was no contact details on the letter, eg phone number or email or dept or person to contact. So wondering if you have been able to reach someone who understands it is A paid up front for life contract, and can confirm it will NOT be closed. Thanks

Message 70 of 159