cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 altering my phone settings?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I recently got a pay as you go o2 sim and registered (and downloaded the app) i noticed that my phones Internet default homepage was changed from my usual one to the o2 one.

This seems to have been done automatically and... without my permission....

My question is this:
Did I miss something in the terms and conditions that says that my phone settings can be changed without asking (i understand my phone needs to be interrogated for data transfer information etc)?

This leads to a second question:
Are there any other settings that are or can be changed on my phone without me knowing?

My phone is my property (as in not received via any contract) and i prefer to either set it up/allow permissions, or at least know what changes will be made.
(Incidentally, I have reset my homepage to my preferred one)
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's just part of the configuration settings that you receive when you set the phone up for O2's network.
Nothing sinister and it's useful to some people.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
as far as I'm aware O2 don't change your phone.

When a person inserts a O2 SIM card they get set up texts.

Where did you get your phone from as it may have O2 bloatware on it.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's just part of the configuration settings that you receive when you set the phone up for O2's network.
Nothing sinister and it's useful to some people.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah. I see. I know that in the general scheme of things it isn't a biggie but personally I'd like to have some forewarning or a choice.

And no previous bloatware. The phone is an unlocked one and first time I have used this network.

Thank you both for the info slight_smile
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pleasure. 😄
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Happy to give you the correct advice.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Thanks MI5, I'd hate to see another unanswered post littered with silly one liners.

As said, it's simply the way the configuration is written. Change it back to your favoured home page and it won't be altered again.

Message 7 of 7