cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Dongle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

My son bought an o2 dongle for our holiday for his laptop, it was rubbish. It was very slow and he had to keep reinstalling the software for it to work. Sometimes it woudn't  reinstall at all. wouldn't buy one again, waste of money. Anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Some have had issues with topping them up.

I'm sorry you didn't get out of yours what you should have.

What model was it and did you check to see if it was O2 network masts at fault where you were (assuming you were in the uk on holiday ) through the connection manager.

What laptop and software are you using ?

Sometimes firewalls / internet security suites can affect them installing etc
Message 2 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I wouldn't advise a 3g dongle for data currently as there are too many widespread data issues all over the country.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby

The issue of data capacity has been flagged by many on here. I myself have been doing so for about 9 months, advising that transmission is the issue, not signal. Given that this morning it was confirmed (by @MI5) that data traffic has risen by 59% in just six months and that he has repeatedly said on here that this is becoming a national issue, isn't it about time o2 came out and told is about how they see it and what is being done and when?

Whilst many have been reporting it, for Rich to finally start advising people about these issues and recommending that people don't get a 3g dongle and for members on here to recommend other networks then there must be a problem.
Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 143440 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I never thought I'd say it myself Nick, but you can't deny what you see everywhere you go just lately 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This has been a problem for months now, so much that O2 now advise mast congestion as their by-word. Not only have we been saying it on here after a large increase of threads reporting this issue, you only have to check O2 Twitter and Facebook to see how this problem is multiplying day by day.

One and a half million pounds a day being spent? If so, not much to show for it in the way of improved national coverage!

Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know Rich but when you say something like that it adds value if you know what I mean.
Many will come on here, have a moan, then move on. You don't.

O2 really need to wake up and smell the toast. Whilst they have gained more customers there will most definitely come a time when o2 will go the same way as Vodafone who are spending £2.5m per day in the uk. Sadly here in the South Vodafone are doing the roll out and information is sparse at best.
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a real shame that O2 seem to be ignoring this data crisis that is affecting their network they seem to be going from best network rapidly downwards
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure they are ignoring it @damien1, I think they just don't know how to handle it. They will get the network sorted out but it's another 3 years away and data usage is likely to soar during that period, in my opinion possibly 5 fold.

It also needs the fibre networks to be updated quickly and let's just say BT ain't exactly pushing then final third cos they want government money.

The biggest threat on the horizon for o2 though strangely enough could be their old owners BT who are planning a calls over wifi business model for their mobile service with back up provided by EE. The costs base after set up would be much cheaper than thousands of masts so watch this space
Message 9 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am no authority on mast or signal issues. However when I needed something for my laptop when we had broadband problems in January of this year, @MI5 recommended a 3 dongle for us. O2 was not mentioned.

I understood from him that for our area we would get the best from 3.(and we did)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22