cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

galaxy s7

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello good moring

im so happy to have recieved my s7 edge  but i am a little puzzled and was asking the community if they could plz help     so preorded phone has arrived on time but the sim is not activated  and its bin in phone for 24hrs  now o2 are saying the sim wont work till the 11th   is this true or am i having my chain yanked    any help plz

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Bambino wrote:

@PhoneDoc are you saying that if the OP went in store with their receipt from O2 for the purchase of the phone, and all the documentation to prove that they are who they are, that a store wouldn't be able to provide the OP with a new blank sim and a 'guru' wouldn't be able to help them get the phone up and running? That's absurd! The OP has said that they're not very good technically. Where would they have to go for help?

Hi @Bambino. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that OP is unlikely to get past DPA in store - they don't have an active SIM card so won't receive a security code and in all likelihood won't have had a bill yet, so will be unable to answer the remaining security questions we need to get into the account. This isn't something we can bypass and we would need to get into their account to swap their number on to a new SIM card. So there's no point giving OP incorrect information and wasting their time when there's a better channel more suited to helping them in this particular instance. A store can provide anyone with a blank SIM card, but that's not going to help OP in this situation - they need a SIM card with their number on it. If the store can help the customer in any other way I'm sure they would, and OP can certainly book a Guru appointment if they want, but at face value this doesn't seem like the type of issue Gurus can help with.

Message 21 of 92

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Though surely the op could go instore and pick up a new sim? (Working on the supposition that the one they have now is faulty?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 92

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@PhoneDoc are you saying that if the OP went in store with their receipt from O2 for the purchase of the phone, and all the documentation to prove that they are who they are, that a store wouldn't be able to provide the OP with a new blank sim and a 'guru' wouldn't be able to help them get the phone up and running? That's absurd! The OP has said that they're not very good technically. Where would they have to go for help?

Hi @Bambino. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that OP is unlikely to get past DPA in store - they don't have an active SIM card so won't receive a security code and in all likelihood won't have had a bill yet, so will be unable to answer the remaining security questions we need to get into the account. This isn't something we can bypass and we would need to get into their account to swap their number on to a new SIM card. So there's no point giving OP incorrect information and wasting their time when there's a better channel more suited to helping them in this particular instance. A store can provide anyone with a blank SIM card, but that's not going to help OP in this situation - they need a SIM card with their number on it. If the store can help the customer in any other way I'm sure they would, and OP can certainly book a Guru appointment if they want, but at face value this doesn't seem like the type of issue Gurus can help with.

Okay, @PhoneDoc, I get what you're saying, but if the sim card that came with the new phone is damaged, or the OP isn't clear on how to put the sim in the phone, how are they meant to get their phone working? Obviously the OP wouldn't have a bill, but that would be the same if they were on the phone with CS. The OP has the phone, and the receipt for the purchase of the phone, and the sim that was delivered with the phone, which probably does have the correct number on it. The OP has said that they're not good technically. Why couldn't they go in store and have someone there call CS, so all the birds can get killed with one stone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 23 of 92

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I have to agree that the store would not be able to help in this case. The problem is that the OP has been given an inactive sim. Swapping the number to another sim will not alter the account status. Customer service need to activate the sim or replace what may be a faulty sim with the number for the account. Of course, it could just be a problem of an incorrectly inserted sim which the store could help with.

Message 24 of 92

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Well maybe it's just me not understanding this, but I've always thought that all sims are inactive when they're sent through the post. Are the sims sent specific to a person's account? I thought it would be a help to the OP if they were able to go in store and either be shown how to do it, or have someone in store do it for them, seeing as how they're not technically minded.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 25 of 92

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Getting a blank sim for the store in this case wouldn't be much help. Customer services will (should) refuse to swap OPs number on to it to prevent fraud. They'll post one out with OPs number on it instead, as should have happened in this case when they got their phone.

Upgrading customers who get their handset delivered will instead have a blank sim card in the parcel, in case they need a smaller size for their new phone. Instructions on how to swap the number are contained inside.

If this was a technical problem the store could help without any needing any proof of ownership from op. As soon as they need to get into the account though (which they almost certainly do in this case), OP would have to go through store DPA, which is more stringent and less flexible than CS DPA.

To answer your question about us phoning, Bambimo: this would come down to the individual advisor and how busy the store is. If my shop was quiet I'd ring up and pass them the phone over (CS aren't meant to speak to us). If it's busy or I thought it reasonably could get busy, I wouldn't be phoning as this is something the customer can ultimately do themselves and may adversely impact on other customers in store who don't have the option to self service.
Message 26 of 92

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Okay @PhoneDoc, I do get all that, but what I'm saying is that my understanding of this particular situation is that this OP already has a sim with the number on it. The sim is either faulty, or it's not being inserted properly. If the OP went in store with their new phone, sim with the number on it, (faulty or otherwise), and documentation to prove identification, if someone in store wasn't busy and was willing to help, could this be done?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 27 of 92

Anonymous
Not applicable
thank for all your help guys its stil not working have spoken to local store and they cant do anythng as it was an online order have also spoke to o2 for 40 mins that wat at 10 this morn the sim card does not seem to b activated it is corrtly in phone they said some one was looking at it as soon as i got of phone that was 3 hrs ago
Message 28 of 92

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Sure. There's two hypothetical issues raised here

1) a faulty sim card

2) an incorrectly inserted sim card

A faulty sim card can usually be sorted easily in store by doing a sim swap on to a new sim card. However given OPs unique circumstances it's unlikely they would be to do this. They would be unable to get past dpa and get into the account to do the swap. CS will be able to do this though and post the sim card out.

I have no idea how anyone could manage to incorrectly insert the nano sim into the S7. The tray simply would not close unless the sim was in the correct position, not without tremendous force and possible damage to the phone. Of course, if anyone did have difficulty inserting a sim, the store will happily oblige. Hell, I've sat down, sim swapped, set up and data transferred phones purchased in CPW before when it's been quiet (they tend to hand customers the boxes and that's it). This is what we do in stores. If there's something we can't do/won't do, it's usually because CS are meant to do it and can do it a lot better, not because we're being awkward.

@Anonymous - hopefully you'll get a call back sometime today. Customer services are open until quite late anyway. If you do need to phone again, once you get past DPA, I'd politely ask if they could do a SIM swap on to the sim card that was delivered to you this morning, quoting the serial number on the back of it. It's against their process, and they may not be too keen, but if your number was not properly ported on to the card in the first instance, it may be the quickest way to resolve this for you.

Message 29 of 92

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I hope someone calls @Anonymous and that you get sorted. Best of luck with it...:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 92