cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum rules regarding discussion of rooting.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
With O2 having uk exclusive stock of the BQ Aquaris X5, @MI5 has pointed out quite correctly, that we cannot discuss the os or features of the phone as it is a rooted device.
In light of this, and our inability to assist members due to our limitations regarding root discussions, isn't it time that the "no root talk" rule is dropped.
As android root talk is like for like. Discussion of one device is as good as discussion for the other, especially when similar SOC are used.

So, are we to not assist in the discussion of this device, or are we at a stage now where discussing root features is now allowed?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Non of it has ever made any sense with regards to O2's stance on rooting and bootloaders, hence my question as to if anyone at O2 actually understands any of it or are they just frightened of the unknown?
I'm sure it would be different if they understood it....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 24

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Toby, for example, this statement
"Installing non-X5 software/updates (eg, a different ROM) will void the warranty like any other handset"
CM is OS so anyone can download it onto their device - I can put it on my Note 4 for example, if I wish to, so how can it void my warranty on Note 4 but the same ROM be OK on the X-5?
Also "The X5 will have a locked bootloader like any other handset" what is the point of offering a full freedom, full customisation phone if you are going to lock the bootloader, and what exactly do O2 think this will protect them from?

BQ are offering this device with CyOS - They are not intending for folk to be able to break the chains and install whatever ROM they want. This is not our decision. BQ have designed and built this phone to work with CyOS - that is their system of choice and they will provide a full warranty for the device running this software. Your Note 4 was never intended to run CyOS - that's Samsung choice. The fact you can though, doesn't change the fact you'd be installing software that the manufacturer never intended - and as a result, can thoroughly brick your device if done wrong.

The BQ comes with this ROM pre-installed, thoroughly tested by the manufacturer. Unlike other Android devices, this one simply has more options and settings than your usual Android. That doesn't mean you need to discuss rooting to be able to help offer advice on this phone. If the phone was fully open to install whatever ROM you wish then sure, I can see the argument, but the phone is factory locked so it isn't.

We see no need or reason for the rule to be changed as knowledge/discussion of rooting should not be needed to give help on this device.

If you feel we're missing something, please drop me a DM with why you think you'd need to discuss rooting to support/use this device.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 22 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Locking the bootloader is not the same as root.
Is the phone rooted? Locked to disable future OS flashing is one thing but is not the same as root.
Message 23 of 24

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Locking the bootloader is not the same as root.
Is the phone rooted? Locked to disable future OS flashing is one thing but is not the same as root.

Oops, sorry for the delay viridis. I can confirm that the phone is not rooted, as advised by BQ themselves. I understand the confusion - most of you are probably in the mindset of this still being "CyanogenMod", which you obviously needed an unlocked bootloader to install and root access to be able to use many of it's features.

CyanogenOS is different in that respect - manufacturers can pre-install it in a similar fashion to Android and apply their bootloaders to it - locked or unlocked (their decision). I don't have the ins and outs on how the OS achieves what it does, but you need to think of CyanogenOS as an entirely new one built upon Android - instead of needing root to do certain tasks, those tasks are baked into the new OS itself.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 24 of 24