cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum rules regarding discussion of rooting.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
With O2 having uk exclusive stock of the BQ Aquaris X5, @MI5 has pointed out quite correctly, that we cannot discuss the os or features of the phone as it is a rooted device.
In light of this, and our inability to assist members due to our limitations regarding root discussions, isn't it time that the "no root talk" rule is dropped.
As android root talk is like for like. Discussion of one device is as good as discussion for the other, especially when similar SOC are used.

So, are we to not assist in the discussion of this device, or are we at a stage now where discussing root features is now allowed?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this mean guideline 10 is now irrelevant 

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Community-Guidelines/td-p/487846

Message 11 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 12 of 24

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I'll have a chat with the rest of the team about this. As rooting can affect a device's warranty in most occasions, we cannot officially support it, or host any advice/instructions on how to do it. However, I fully understand that this device has a different setup, so we'll have a chat.

I'll come back later on slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 13 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys. Here is some info on how the phone is set up, as well as some info on how rooting discussion will not really change:

• The X5 will have a locked bootloader like any other handset
  • Installing non-X5 software/updates (eg, a different ROM) will void the warranty like any other handset
  • CyanogenOS which comes pre-installed (instead of normal Android) has much more customisation, personalisation and control optionsbuilt-in. Some of these could be available to other Android users after rooting and modifying a device (which we still don’t allow discussion of), but they are available out-of-the-box with the X5 

I hope this clears things up!

Get involved:

Message 14 of 24

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Quick question - does anyone at O2 actually understand anything about Android, rooting, ROM porting and bootloaders?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 24

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @MI5,

What issues do you have with the info? I'll talk to the rest of the team about your concerns.

By the way, I'm not sure what is happening with this thread, but some older comments are at the end :S

Get involved:

Message 17 of 24

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Toby, for example, this statement
"Installing non-X5 software/updates (eg, a different ROM) will void the warranty like any other handset"
CM is OS so anyone can download it onto their device - I can put it on my Note 4 for example, if I wish to, so how can it void my warranty on Note 4 but the same ROM be OK on the X-5?
Also "The X5 will have a locked bootloader like any other handset" what is the point of offering a full freedom, full customisation phone if you are going to lock the bootloader, and what exactly do O2 think this will protect them from?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Plus, locking the bootloader will only prevent the flashing of another OS.....9 times out of ten based on CM anyway so irrelevant. Is it rooted out the box? Because that's where the issues arise, giving advice on this product.. Is as good as giving advice for any other rooted android.

And FYI, the European courts ruled that rooting does NOT invalidate warranties under failure of faulty hardware components.
Message 19 of 24

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Plus, locking the bootloader will only prevent the flashing of another OS.....9 times out of ten based on CM anyway so irrelevant. Is it rooted out the box? Because that's where the issues arise, giving advice on this product.. Is as good as giving advice for any other rooted android.

And FYI, the European courts ruled that rooting does NOT invalidate warranties under failure of faulty hardware components.

Hero

This just doesn't add up.

I agree with @MI5@ does anyone actually know anything about rooting @Anonymous? 

Message 20 of 24