Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim in China

dan1080
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I am travelling to China next week for the first time since switching to eSim. There is conflicting information on whether the eSim is supported in China. Can anyone confirm whether or not I can roam with eSim in China? Many Thanks
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@dan1080 

What makes you think it wouldn't?

It works in USA so can't see it's any different in China.

Beware of costs though Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

dan1080
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

Thanks for the reply, the Apple website suggests it won’t work.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209044

But one tripadvisor user suggested it might. Also an eSim store offers local eSims but it’s not clear if O2 eSim will work when roaming.

Just wondering if anyone had any direct experience.
Message 3 of 7

dan1080
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Regarding charges I have a Chinese physical sim for data and local calls, hence I moved my O2 plan to eSim, but still want to be able to use my normal number if required, I’ll just take the £4.99 a day hit in that case.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@dan1080 

I believe that means Chinese spec phones don't have eSim capability, not that you can't use your phone with eSim when visiting.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

dan1080
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

Good point, I really hope that’s the case. The fact that other companies are offering local eSims would suggest they’re supported. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your advice. I’ll report back next week.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@dan1080 

I'm 99.99% certain it will work. All the roaming carrier cares about is your identity. eSIMs still have an ICCID just like regular SIMs and roaming should, therefore, work just like a normal SIM.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7