Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

doro 8035 software failure

LCD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Phone purchased in late November, stopped working 2 days ago. Would take an inordinate time to boot up, then briefly show the home screen before reverting to either the green worm-of-death  or a message bar '.comAndroid error', behind which was an incessant stream of application update failed messages.

Took the phone back to the O2 outlet where it was purchased. Total disinterest; "we'll send it back to the supplier, might take a couple of weeks".

I pointed out that the phone was in warranty and that its 92-year old owner, my mother, could not be without a phone. Result? Total disinterest; "we'll send it back to the supplier, might take a couple of weeks".

They refused to replace the faulty item, and offered to sell me another cheap phone, but at 92 my mother has to stick with the Doro Android interface she is used to. Result, I was forced to buy another Doro 8035 from these ******.

The old phone was truly screwed, they couldn't transfer anything off it.

So thanks O2, I think that selling bog roll is more the market you should be in.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144330 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@LCD 

Unfortunately under consumer law, you aren't automatically entitled to a replacement after 28 days.

I'd send the old phone to Doro for repair now so you have a replacement for when the new one goes wrong, as it is a common fault on Doro phones. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
@LCD that's standard procedure no matter where you buy your mobile phone or what network you're with. 28 days is all you're given as a time frame for a replacement should it go wrong. After that it'll be under warranty for 12 or 24 months (dependent upon the smartphone manufacturer) and during this period, they will send the phone off to the manufacturer for repair, if it's totally knackered and they can't repair it, they will then send you out a replacement. Some insurance policies give you a loan phone to use while yours is off for a repair but it's unlikely to be the same phone you've given them for repair.

As @MI5 said, the best advice is to keep the other one as a spare in case anything goes wrong with the new phone.
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@LCD  I don't know what O2 charged you for a new phone, but I've just taken a look on Amazon and you can pick one up for under £30.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

LCD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to all for your considered replies. If this phone is known to be a significant underperformer, perhaps it shouldn't be on the shelves of a mainstream telco.

I accept that there are other places to get this phone from, but I was faced with the immediate and pressing need to keep my mother 'in touch' as she is housebound and I live 2 hours away.

Message 5 of 7

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
@LCD my Grandad actually has the Doro 8035 and there hasn't been any trouble with it at all so I was surprised to read that it's a common problem. I set it up for automatic updates because he has no idea how to install them and the phone updates itself overnight and turns back on. I personally think that the Doro range is a brilliant choice for the elderly.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144330 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It’s usually whilst doing an update that the bootloader crashes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7