cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had always had iphones and always been with t-mobile/ee or whatever they're calling themselves these days. I switched to a samsung galaxy and o2 in May and i have 5gb of data a month as thats what i had with t-mob and they advised me that i only ever used 3-4 gb a month. So i go 5gb thinking i will never go over.

I have not managed to make this data on o2 last a month. Every single month since May i've had to buy more data. I recieve my new data on the 10th of every month, today is the 18th amd yesterday i received and text saying i had used 80% of my data!!

I don't stream films of programmes or anything like that to my phone, i just yse it to occassionally look online and social networks, i work full time so hardly use my phone at work as i also have a work phone and i have wifi indoors and at all friends houses, i even connect to the wifi in my local pub so i don't understand how this is happening.

Never had this prob with iphone or t-mob!!
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  welcome to the forum

Thats a lot of data to be using and running out of. I note you say you have recently switched from Iphones to samsung Galaxy?

Its usually problems with iphones using excessive data that we hear about...

Anyway a few things to remember...

Turn off your data when you're not using it. If possible set your phone to update apps over WiFi only, and untick any apps that update automatically, so that they're not updating in the background without you knowing.

Facebook and Youtube use a lot of data

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  welcome to the forum

Thats a lot of data to be using and running out of. I note you say you have recently switched from Iphones to samsung Galaxy?

Its usually problems with iphones using excessive data that we hear about...

Anyway a few things to remember...

Turn off your data when you're not using it. If possible set your phone to update apps over WiFi only, and untick any apps that update automatically, so that they're not updating in the background without you knowing.

Facebook and Youtube use a lot of data

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To add. We have Samsung experts on here @MI5  and @jonsie who will be on later today to give you further help...

I have a Samsung Note and if I need advice its usually those two I ask ...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Only a couple of things spring to mind. Obviously check in the data settings for the biggest usage.

In facebook settings make sure auto video is switched off as that is a big data waste. My biggest user is facebook which I use a lot and Chrome for browsing.

Use wifi when possible and set apps to update over Wifi only.

Think about installing Onavo where you can also check usage and set up warnings.

I use my phone extensively throughout the day and use around 1.5GB  a month but around 4GB on Wifi. 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to go into settings >data usage and tell us what is using the data first.
We can't guess unfortunately, but some good general advice already given re facebook.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And also set Google play to only update over wifi.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK RachJ what was using data in the end? Im interested if it was Instagram.
Message 7 of 7