cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

courtesy phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
My phone Nokia lumia 925 with retail price £250 was send for repairs today from your store in Manchester's Trafford shopping centre. In replacement I was given Samsung E1200 with retail price £5 I had to leave £25 deposit for. Dont make sense to me and I think this is embarrassment for O2. I left constructive feedback with the customer assistant that was serving me but had no sympathies around my disappointment.   
I am not happy as courtesy phone have no internet that is essential for my business. I think there should be some more reasonable approach.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Standard. Many companies don't offer anything at all and it's your choice to accept it or not.
You can buy a cheap smartphone for £20 to see you through if you wish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

A number of years ago I worked in a highstreet store for a mobile network, and our store made the papers for giving out a courtesy handset before wiping off the previous recipients adult content. Funnily enough company policy on the type of courtesy phones available changed a couple of days later. 

Although I note that Apple will sometimes offer "loaner" iPhones in certain circumstances.

ewan

Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to do that when my phone was sent for repairs. 

The phone was decent but I wouldnt want to use it 24/7. I got my desposit back and phone looks like new.

Message 4 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think @Anonymous was under the impression he was speaking to O2 customer services....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Common practice across the networks  - a few years ago on 3 my Galaxy S2 went in for repair and I was given a coal powered replacement that I also had to lodge a 25 quid deposit for the privilege of using. 

Message 6 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Common practice across the networks  - a few years ago on 3 my Galaxy S2 went in for repair and I was given a coal powered replacement that I also had to lodge a 25 quid deposit for the privilege of using. 

Coal powered....Blimey...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is wrong to think that companies can charge customers 5 times deposit of actual product price(used product)  I would assume that varanty should cover the coasts of a courtesy phone with basic options like internet/camera that are essential today. 

Message 8 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think there are some insurance policies that cover a decent courtesy phone....but I would imagine if companies provided a good smartphone as custom and practice they would need to charge a lot more than a £25 deposit?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
this was the attitude I was given by the customer assistant slight_smile and it still sounds as stupid. I wouldn't mind getting £20 smartphone as courtesy and leave £25 deposit for it. why would I buy a new phone if I have waranty? courtesy meaning polite this is more f y
Message 10 of 23