cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting an itouch to a 3g phone possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was would like to buy an itouch but would also like to be able to connect to a 3g network when wifi spots are not available. I dont want to go for the iphone cos 16gb is a small fraction of my music library

I came across a mention of a software called joiku that turns a nokia smartphone into wifi spot.

1) Any one has any experience of this software or any other that works with iphone?. Is it reliable?
2) I have a O2 simplicity tarrif with web bolt-on. would the combination described above work or will it be classified as data rather than web surfing?

cheers

cooa99
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
.........in one word : NO....!!!

In order to connect to a 3G network when you're not in Wi-Fi range - you need a 3G sim card from o2, and as the iTouch does not have sim card functionality - its impossible...!!!!

Its not the device that connects to the network - its the sim card, and if you haven't got a sim card - then no network full stop...!!!
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
In order to connect to a 3G network when you're not in Wi-Fi range - you need a 3G sim card from o2, and as the iTouch does not have sim card functionality - its impossible...!!!!
Its not the device that connects to the network - its the sim card, and if you haven't got a sim card - then no network full stop...!!!

hi, i dont think you inderstood my question or did not explain myself well, i am aware that itouch has no functionality, but only wifi.

Itouch can connect to wifi spots/routers. The idea is to fool the Ttouch into thinking its connecting to one. This is where the other phone (e.g. a 3g nokia smartphone comes in because it will be running a software like joiku which turns the nokia into broadcasting like wifi spot/router..... which Itouch should pick up......... see what i am getting?

This joiku application is documented on the net, hence my questions
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, i dont think you inderstood my question or did not explain myself well, i am aware that itouch has no functionality, but only wifi.
Itouch can connect to wifi spots/routers. The idea is to fool the Ttouch into thinking its connecting to one. This is where the other phone (e.g. a 3g nokia smartphone comes in because it will be running a software like joiku which turns the nokia into broadcasting like wifi spot/router..... which Itouch should pick up......... see what i am getting?
This joiku application is documented on the net, hence my questions

.... :womanindifferent: sorry - I DID misunderstand you question...!!

I've looked at the website for Joiku and as you rightly said, it can turn a mobile into a Wi-Fi hot spot.

On the site, it quotes: iTouch + 3G Nokia + Joiku software = iPhone 3G.

I take it this is what you are trying to do..?! On paper, yea, this will work, however - you are going to need a high data plan on your Nokia....! Obviously, whilst your iTouch is connected to the Nokia via the Wi-Fi Joiku software, the Nokia is going to be connected to the internet via its 3G signal.

If you haven't got a high data plan - it would pretty much make this software redundant as it'll cost loads whilst you are browsing the web....!
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
regrading the data plan, i was assuming that:

1) using web bolt-on my simplicity tarrif will cover that angle
2) and that usage constitutes web rather than a data plan

cooa99
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
..you may have to check how much data your bolt on actually provides.

The data used for surfing the web on the iTouch via the software on the Nokia would also depend on what sites you were browsing. Some are quite simple where as others are quite complex with loads of graphics and stuff.

Does the software have a trial period or anything, so you can test it..?!
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have not got the software nor an itouch but mereley looking at my options for 3g Surfing with iphone/itouch.
Kinda still holding out for apple to anounce iphone/itouch in higher capacities as 16/32Gb is small for my usage
Message 7 of 7