Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your feedback on the Community Search page

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, I hope you're having a good day today!

As you may know, we've been doing some work in the background to improve the community forum and continue doing that in 2018. One of the areas we will be looking at is the Search page of the community. 

Since you guys as community members are using the search the most, we'd like to ask what you think of the current forum Search, and if there's anything that you would improve?

We're especially looking for your opinions on how to improve the search results page.

Looking forward to your thoughts. slight_smile

Feedback Thanks!

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Even though the Community Search Page was supposed to be improved, I still use Google.

(Unless I know of a thread which was posted in the last two weeks  and can vaguely remember the title, then I will try the search page)

Not really any good for a new member coming here searching for answers. 

This is why we have so many posting on 6 year old threads slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 69

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35932 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

You're right, @Cleoriff - not easy enough to search for something cold.

For example: I want to search for a Spotlight post about a particular member.

If I just search for the term 'Spotlight', the returned results don't tell me *who* the Spotlight is about as the clip of text from the post is just not long enough to show that info. Using the "author" field won't help either, as the posts in this category are not posted by the person the Spotlight is on...:

20**Personal info** 22_28_51-Search - O2 Community.png

If I add 'Spotlight' and 'userid' to the search, well, that helps little as there is a good chance userid has added a response to the thread, also resulting in a false positive, as well as the irrelevant first match:

20**Personal info** 22_26_59-Search - O2 Community.png

In this case, I am helped a little, because the post author MarinaP has used a common format in the Topic title, including the name of the member who's in the spotlight (but presumably Cleoriff has responded to each of these, so I still have not found the Spotlight for Cleoriff (as an example).

Sometimes, the searchbar just goes off on one, returning weird results - note the highlighted "message" in the first result, no mention of either search term!  And the ones in the green box, no mention of "pgn" in those, I know because I have never commented on a Spotlght post here yet, that I can remember!

20**Personal info** 22_42_02-Search - O2 Community.png

In short, the Lithium forum search tool is a minefield, like shooting a sparrow with a bazooka instead of a .22 rifle...

I rest my case - stick with Google, using something like:

20**Personal info** 22_55_02-site_community.o2.co.uk spotlight Glory1 - Google Search.png

Or a definite "Nope", like:

20**Personal info** 23_00_35-site_community.o2.co.uk spotlight pgn - Google Search.png

You decide! Don't know

Message 42 of 69

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Even though the Community Search Page was supposed to be improved, I still use Google.

(Unless I know of a thread which was posted in the last two weeks  and can vaguely remember the title, then I will try the search page)

Not really any good for a new member coming here searching for answers. 

This is why we have so many posting on 6 year old threads slight_frown

Not to mention asking questions that have been answered 10 times over, often as recent as 1/2 weeks previously!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 43 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@pgnThat's a very comprehensive overview of the Community Search engine wink

So with the Spotlight feature, I tried it a different way (putting my name first)...and guess what? I actually found it!! Blimey it's nearly 5 years ago....Confused

Spotlight.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 69

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgnThat's a very comprehensive overview of the Community Search engine wink

So with the Spotlight feature, I tried it a different way (putting my name first)...and guess what? I actually found it!! Blimey it's nearly 5 years ago....Confused

Spotlight.JPG

Just tried a search for my Spotlight putting my name first as you did, and I also found mine done over over a year ago.

Good to know there is a way to search on the forum that is quick and works. Though I'll stick to Google for more complex searches smile

Message 45 of 69

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yeah, good question @jonsie. Can you remember the last one, because I can't. I mean it surely wasn't mine last year was it?

Message 47 of 69

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You know, i have no idea. We have so many new members now so maybe it's now due a revsit...

Message 48 of 69

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Great idea @jonsie. I may drop @Martin-O2 a PM on the subject. After all it was a great way to get to know a new member.

Of course, some like me you couldn't get rid of 😁

Message 49 of 69

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 50 of 69