Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your feedback on the Community Search page

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, I hope you're having a good day today!

As you may know, we've been doing some work in the background to improve the community forum and continue doing that in 2018. One of the areas we will be looking at is the Search page of the community. 

Since you guys as community members are using the search the most, we'd like to ask what you think of the current forum Search, and if there's anything that you would improve?

We're especially looking for your opinions on how to improve the search results page.

Looking forward to your thoughts. slight_smile

Feedback Thanks!

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can sum it up in one word... useless! Many of us prefer to use Google, much quicker and most community topics are on there.

The community search gives you stress, it brings up threads which mention the words in pays rather than threads and then you have to filter them by date or you see threats and posts from years ago. Just replace it with A Google search box.

Message 2 of 69

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I agree. I find it a nightmare and resort to Google too. I think most of us do. A Google search box js a great idea @jonsie. Would certainly reduce all the hassle.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 69

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Marjo If you think the Community Search page is useful at the moment, then tell me why so many first time posters ask the same questions over and over and over and over again? I am in total agreement with @jonsie.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 69

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for your comments so far guys, please do keep it coming!

@Bambino We want to improve the search page indeed to also help new members find what they're looking for so please do let us know if you have any additional feedback. thumbsup It would be really great to hear specific examples of what you think is not so great when you search on this forum. And e.g. if you have examples of websites with search results pages that you really find useful, would love to hear about those too and what you think is good about them.

Thanks for mentioning about the posts instead of threads being displayed in the results - you would prefer if it only displayed the first post of each thread instead, if I understood correctly?

Any other thoughts? slight_smile

Message 5 of 69

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Something I find useful on giffgaff’s forum is the suggestions that drop down when you start a new post.
So, for example, if someone titles their post “How to sim swap” a number of posts relating to sim swaps will be shown which the customer can read to see if they help before posting their own question.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 69

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome thanks for this example @MI5

Message 7 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjoI rarely use the search function for the reasons given by @jonsie

It really is useless and outdated. I use google all the time.

1) The search box re-enters your search with a question such as 'do you mean blah blah' ...No I don't actually!

I wanted it to search for what I typed exactly One example Rewards...and I got Records.

2) It also brings up information from 2008 (for instance)...totally outdated

3) Then we have the split thread issue. For instance The Formula 1 thread was split . We now have three.  2016, 2017, 2018. If I search Formula 1 2018, I am immediately shown the one from 2016. It NEVER shows 2018. So I just give up and go into Off Topic . Its the same with the Virtual Lounge. Always takes you to the old one and never the new version

I would suggest we get rid of old outdated posts from the search box. Other than that I have no idea how to improve it, other than replace it with Google.

Currently it is unfit for purpose. Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo I tend to search on google because the community one is useless. Try typing in what you want & it comes up with what you don’t want & takes forever to find exactly what you need. It’s basically rubbish 

Message 9 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

@Marjo I tend to search on google because the community one is useless. Try typing in what you want & it comes up with what you don’t want & takes forever to find exactly what you need. It’s basically rubbish 

Additionally. if you know something was definitely posted a week ago and you type in the search box... I find the times greyed out ie a week, a month etc. I am only presented with the ALL option..Extremely frustrating.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 69